• Banned User

The Thing (2011)

With a budget of only $35 million, this will no doubt recoup it's budget by its end run, and it's NOT A REMAKE...

The producers convinced Universal Studios to allow them to create a prequel to John Carpenter's The Thing instead of a remake, as they felt Carpenter's film was already perfect, so making a remake would be like "painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa". However, the prequel still has the title of the original film, because they couldn't think of a subtitle (for example, "The Thing: Begins") that sounded good.

• Banned User

Re: The Thing (2011)

Sure looks, sounds, and smells like a remake to me. "Oh no, it's a prequel." Uh, yeah, and I poop 24 carat gold bricks, too.

The Thing will be represented as a maze at both Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Studios Orlando for Halloween Horror Nights 2011:
    The Thing Comes to Universal Studios Halloween Horror Nights! - MovieWeb.com

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    Sure looks, sounds, and smells like a remake to me. "Oh no, it's a prequel." Uh, yeah, and I poop 24 carat gold bricks, too.
    Yup. $35 million budget, huh? Well, it was only a matter of time before made-for-SciFi Channel crap started going theatrical.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

50 bucks says it lives....just does not seem...scary or even cool....Im sure the maze will do fine and be unique but the movie looks as bad as "My Soul to Take" there last Halloween Project that sucked

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    It's a prequel. The original John Carpenter film had its characters interact with two Norweigian survivors of the Norwegian camp, and then subsequently visit it. They find the camp destroyed with corpses in various states of decay or assimilation. This movie will focus on what happened to that camp. Not shown in this trailer are the two Norwegian (read: non-English speaking) characters, who are guaranteed to survive until the end of the movie to link the canon between the two films. Apparently the language barrier will be adding (suitably) to the tension.

Seriously, this film looks excellent. The original is an absolute classic and has been named by many publications as the scariest horror film of all time. The focus was on practical effects (not CGI) and the recreation of the nail-biting tension of the original film. The fact they chose to tell the story of the Norwegian Camp instead of just redoing the whole thing makes me appreciate it even more.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    The original is an absolute classic and has been named by many publications as the scariest horror film of all time.
    By "the original" are you talking about John Carpenter's remake? Howard Hawks' 1951 "The Thing from Another World" was the original.

It's a prequel.
    From the trailer, it has beat-for-beat the same beats as Carpenter's.

Seriously, this film looks excellent.
    We'll see. To me, the trailer's scenes, characters and dialogue play like made-for-SciFi-Channel with better cinematography & CG. Yeah, it could be the fault of the trailer editing, but let's be honest here -- there wasn't a scene we haven't seen before.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 07-21-2011 at 09:28 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    By "the original" are you talking about John Carpenter's remake? Howard Hawks' 1951 "The Thing from Another World" was the original.

I mentioned I meant the John Carpenter version earlier in my post - sorry for the confusion.

From the trailer, it has beat-for-beat the same beats as Carpenter's.

Beat-for-beat or not, it's still by definition a prequel. It takes place in the same universe and timeline as the John Carpenter version, before the events of said film.

We'll see. To me, the trailer's scene and dialogue play like made-for-SciFi-Channel with better cinematography. Yeah, it could be the fault of the trailer editing, but, let's be honest here -- there wasn't a scene we haven't seen before.

Maybe I'm letting my "THING" fandom get a little overexcited, but I have a feeling this will be excellent despite the trailer. I mean I'm sure this film is not going to have the same blood poking trick - it's bound to have some original ideas. Hell, in the original, they discovered The Thing as it was manifesting itself via the dog - they didn't consider that it had consumed a human until later. In this film, going by the trailer, The Thing strikes fast and someone's "out" from the start. And as I mentioned, the language barrier is going to play to the tension's advantage in this film. Not to mention we'll be exploring the spaceship itself in this version...
    Let's give this one a chance - from everything I've read (and I've followed its development) this sounds like a labor of love on the part of the filmmakers. I'll be the first to admit, as a huge "THING" fan, that I was wrong if this film turns out to be rubbish.