Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: "Haunted Mansion" Movie Update Thread

Yeah, I love Johnny Depp, but I think it's OK if he stays out of this one. Of course, since Tim Burton's not directing, he's probably sure to not appear.
    Check out the Mousterpiece Cinema podcast on iTunes, on Twitter, on Facebook, or on the show's blog!

• Pirates Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    If they really want to sell this flick, they gotta have Johnny Depp play the Real Estate agent.
    That would be awesome ! .
    Captain Jack Sparrow: Marina!.....Please Don't!

• My prices are INSANE!

The trailer for the soon to be released "Don't be Afraid of the Dark" might give you a good idea of what Guillermo del Toro might have in mind for the Haunted Mansion movie.
    He co-wrote and produced the film.
    Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

Stop by my website
    http://www.ericedunn.com/

• Future Cast Member

I'm kind of afraid of them making it too scary. I don't like the original movie with it being too much comedy with Eddie Murphy, but Haunted Mansion is about the afterlife being a big party. Some of the fun of being a ghost is to scare people (as shown when the ghosts pop out in the graveyard scene), and it is meant to be scary to mortals (the keeper and his dog in the graveyard entrance scene), but really it's about the afterlife being fun.

The first movie really missed this in the little story it had, because the ghosts were stuck in the mansion and were happy to be released, but the actual Haunted Mansion is meant as a great party home for ghosts to go to in the afterlife.

I'm glad the movie is going to be scary, but I do hope they don't make it too scary and lose the message and point of the Haunted Mansion. The Mansion may have no full story behind it, but the setting and mood of the attraction is a huge aspect of the attraction that I'd hate to see left out or poorly interpreted by the movie.

However, the director seems to be a huge fan of the Haunted Mansion, and I have hope he'll do this right. I think he's only stressing that it will be scary to comfort fans who might have been afraid this movie would be a lot like the original movie.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ChessurInWonderland View Post
    I'm kind of afraid of them making it too scary. I don't like the original movie with it being too much comedy with Eddie Murphy, but Haunted Mansion is about the afterlife being a big party. Some of the fun of being a ghost is to scare people (as shown when the ghosts pop out in the graveyard scene), and it is meant to be scary to mortals (the keeper and his dog in the graveyard entrance scene), but really it's about the afterlife being fun.

The first movie really missed this in the little story it had, because the ghosts were stuck in the mansion and were happy to be released, but the actual Haunted Mansion is meant as a great party home for ghosts to go to in the afterlife.

I'm glad the movie is going to be scary, but I do hope they don't make it too scary and lose the message and point of the Haunted Mansion. The Mansion may have no full story behind it, but the setting and mood of the attraction is a huge aspect of the attraction that I'd hate to see left out or poorly interpreted by the movie.

However, the director seems to be a huge fan of the Haunted Mansion, and I have hope he'll do this right. I think he's only stressing that it will be scary to comfort fans who might have been afraid this movie would be a lot like the original movie.
    Guillermo Del Toro is a huge Mansion fan, if anyone will do it justice in film, it is him.
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• I'm not really here

GDT has mansion room in his house and has stated that when he gets writers block or frustrated he often makes a trip to the park to ride the ride. It's one of his favorite things in the world.

His statement that it would be scary was tempered with a statement that just like the ride is for families despite being dark and in places creepy and scary, so too his film. That should give an idea of the tone he's going for with this one. I really can't wait for this to happen. Something has to be done to erase the memory of that last horrible attempt.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Goofy

so is the movie going to be creepy?

• Future Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    His statement that it would be scary was tempered with a statement that just like the ride is for families despite being dark and in places creepy and scary, so too his film. That should give an idea of the tone he's going for with this one. I really can't wait for this to happen. Something has to be done to erase the memory of that last horrible attempt.
    Okay, this is what I was hoping for.

• My prices are INSANE!

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    GDT has mansion room in his house and has stated that when he gets writers block or frustrated he often makes a trip to the park to ride the ride. It's one of his favorite things in the world.
    I would love to see what his Mansion room looks like. Plus had anyone ever spotted him at the park?

Stop by my website

8/11/11 UPDATE (video):
    Guillermo Del Toro Offers 'Haunted Mansion' Scoop | Video | MTV

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Larry
    Plus had anyone ever spotted him at the park?
    Name:  Haunted Mansion Guillermo del Toro.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  42.5 KB

• Minion

^Thank god, official word that he is still working on it!
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• My prices are INSANE!

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    That is SWEET!
    The more I see his interest in the ride and it's history the more I'm encouraged about what he might bring to the reboot.

Stop by my website

• Avid MC reader since 2005

My hope has always been that they would make the movie a period piece. Set it back in the days of the house being newly built and breathtakingly beautiful along with the land it sits on and give us a love story that makes you really feel connected to the characters involved - show it it a time of beauty, happiness and romance and then watch as it changes to a place of tragedy, gloom, and haunting. Creepy, haunting, perhaps chilling - but not gory and disgusting.

I think it would be fun if it included some of the characters from the mansion - like the stretching room characters - presenting them as serious characters (spooky or sinister or strange or insane) not in a silly way.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkbelle View Post
    My hope has always been that they would make the movie a period piece. Set it back in the days of the house being newly built and breathtakingly beautiful along with the land it sits on and give us a love story that makes you really feel connected to the characters involved - show it it a time of beauty, happiness and romance and then watch as it changes to a place of tragedy, gloom, and haunting. Creepy, haunting, perhaps chilling - but not gory and disgusting.

I think it would be fun if it included some of the characters from the mansion - like the stretching room characters - presenting them as serious characters (spooky or sinister or strange or insane) not in a silly way.
    If we get any backstory, it'll probably be weaved in as it goes. del Toro's going with an idea that there are various Haunted Mansions around the world that are connected to one another by the Hatbox Ghost.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Musical Fireman

I don't like the real estate gig I didn't work with the first one and will be a big disappointment to me if they do it, but I'm still "KILLING" myself with anticipation

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast