• Dreamer

Medvedev okays Russian Disneyland concept

I don't know how much truth is in this but I find this most intriguing.

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has approved the concept of a Disneyland-style resort in the Kaliningrad region. This was stated by the regional governor Nikolai Tsukanov after his talks with the President.
    Check out the rest of the story here:
    WWW.NEWSBCM.COM :: Medvedev okays Russian Disneyland concept
    Last edited by dland_lover; 08-10-2011 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Quote shortened to reduce risk of copyright infringement

• Dreamer

Re: Medvedev okays Russian Disneyland concept

A Russian Disneyland may appear in the Kaliningrad Region, the westernmost region of Russia. The idea of laying out a modern amusement park in the Amber Land has been supported by Russian President Dmitry Medvedev.

This Disneyland will be the second in Europe if it opens near Kaliningrad. So far there is only one park like this in the Old World. It opened near Paris in1992. The French Disneyland is visited by over 18mln people annually. The very first park with this name was laid out in 1955 in American California. It became the embodiment of Walt Disney’s idea of a park giving life to the world of animated cartoons and fairy-tales. At present, Tokyo and Hong Kong also have Disneylands. The largest Disneyland outside the USA is being built in Shanghai on an area of 67 hectares. It is planned to open in 2016.
    See the rest of the story here:
    Russian Disneyland to be built near Kaliningrad: Voice of Russia
    Last edited by dland_lover; 08-10-2011 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Shortened quote to reduce risk of copyright infringement

• Forgotten Spirit

I just read this myself, does anyone have any information on this?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

After reading up a little about this city and area, I would be extremely surprised if Disney ever built a park in this location. Physically, it is separated from the rest of Russia by a couple hundred miles. And the city itself is about 25 miles from the Poland border. In 2005 it celebrated its 750th anniversary. And it has only been "part of Russia" since 1945. Prior to that, it was considered part of Germany, and even had a different name. It was pretty much destroyed in WW2, the remaining population was forced out in 1946 and 1947, and Russia repopulated it, and changed the official language to Russian. It's Russia's only year round ice-free port, so it is important for Russia's fleet. That appears to be why Russia has their hands in this area. Russia at one time had threatened to deploy missles here. Current population is under a half Milllion.

I'm not sure what the tourist traffic is here, but would it draw visitors from the nearby counties? Is is that much of a travelled area that it would be seriously consided by Disney, or does Russia just want to have a Disneyland-Type park here? Another Nara Dreamland, perhaps?

here's map of the area: BBC NEWS | Europe | Kaliningrad marks key anniversary