Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Don't expect any Lone Ranger stuff at Disneyland anytime soon...

Oh wow, sounds like they were trying to hard to make Lone Ranger into another Pirates. THey must have been think "JOHNNY DEPP+DEAD FILM GENRE+SUPERNATURAL OCCURENCES=PROFIT". Now I'm really glad they canned it.

Dances With Werewolves :: Hollywood Elsewhere
    "It was always going to be a big Bruckheimer CG movie with traditional Bruckheimer elements with an eye toward being a tentpole, totally Pirates-style," says a gadfly screenwriter who always hears stuff and has been following the project through postings on writersactionbss.com -- a private writers' website that Elliott has posted on."It was never going to be a semi-traditional western...it was never going to be Zorro," he says.
    "It was going to be a Tonto show mainly. Tonto as the top dog and more dominant than the Lone Ranger. Tonto and the Indian spirits like Obi Wan Kenobi and the force. The driving engine was going to be Native American occult aspects worked in with werewolves and special effects. But flavored with doses of Native American spirituality in a serious way.
    "But then Cowboys & Aliens came along and tanked and Disney got cold tenderfeet, spooked by the idea of a pricey mashup. If Cowboys & Aliens had made $200 million, this wouldn't be happening. A Bruckheimer-style western in the wake of Cowboys & Aliens is nothing anyone is feeling secure about at this stage. Trust me, the writers of tentpole garbage are all scared now."
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    Oh wow, sounds like they were trying to hard to make Lone Ranger into another Pirates. THey must have been think "JOHNNY DEPP+DEAD FILM GENRE+SUPERNATURAL OCCURENCES=PROFIT". Now I'm really glad they canned it.

Dances With Werewolves :: Hollywood Elsewhere
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    How can they rip on how much Cowboys and Aliens has made when it hasn't been out very long? It has been out for just over 2 weeks and is at about 90M, but it also came out against a kids movie that is also a revival, so you don't only have kids as competition, but everyone with nostalgia towards Smurfs too. Everyone that has seen Cowboys and Aliens loved it.
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
    How can they rip on how much Cowboys and Aliens has made when it hasn't been out very long? It has been out for just over 2 weeks and is at about 90M, but it also came out against a kids movie that is also a revival, so you don't only have kids as competition, but everyone with nostalgia towards Smurfs too. Everyone that has seen Cowboys and Aliens loved it.
    Cowboys vs. Aliens cost 163 million to make. Chances are it will end up losing money once all the numbers are in.
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

• Banned User

Honestly, reading that the focal point of a LONE RANGER movie would be freaking Tonto instead of the, you know, LONE RANGER makes me kinda glad it got axed.

• Mickeyfan3

Not happy about this one...."Oz" was already done (Wicked, even if this was more of the wizards point of view).

The Lone Ranger would have been awesome...as a kid my brother and I watched all of the old episodes on Saturday afternoons....
    Counting the minutes......next trip ??????!!!! (to far away!!!)
    That is current Puppy in Training for Guide Dogs for the Blind, TIKI!!!!
    Hoofprints On the Heart Adaptive Riding Center

• Not So New Member

Westerns don't do well??? Well neither did Pirate movies till POTC and we know how well that turned out for Disney
    disney lady

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disney lady View Post
    Westerns don't do well??? Well neither did Pirate movies till POTC and we know how well that turned out for Disney
    This!!! Especially since Johnny Depp was to be Tonto in this, they could have counted on at least breaking even, possibly even something more like 800M+ in the box office
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Circle of Ancients

Did you guys who are lamenting the cancellation of this movie read the description above of what it was going to be?

This was going to be NOTHING like the "actual" Lone Ranger. Reading where they were going with this makes me thrilled that it got canned. At least John Carter has some imagination other than another "let's throw Johnny Depp in a movie, throw out a script and people will see it".

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Did you guys who are lamenting the cancellation of this movie read the description above of what it was going to be?

This was going to be NOTHING like the "actual" Lone Ranger. Reading where they were going with this makes me thrilled that it got canned. At least John Carter has some imagination other than another "let's throw Johnny Depp in a movie, throw out a script and people will see it".
    Ah see I had not seen the actual premise of the movie... other than it was going to be called The Lone Ranger and Johnny Depp was in it. After reading the description, I'm with you Clinks. If it was going to focus on Tonto call it the Lone Tonto. I can forgive treading into the supernatural if handled in a proper manner and if it wasn't done just do do it... but from the sound of it they were going to go over the top. And yeah... probably would of tanked, Depp or not.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Senior Minion

^ Bingo. Mashups are the big industry buzz now: stir together two or three genres, spike with plenty of CG, top with a megastar, let rise in a lukewarm oven until the budget is well inflated and voila! instant profits.

Or at least that's the recipe that's making the town salivate.

Bon appetit.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mickeyfan3 View Post
    Not happy about this one...."Oz" was already done (Wicked, even if this was more of the wizards point of view).

The Lone Ranger would have been awesome...as a kid my brother and I watched all of the old episodes on Saturday afternoons....
    Thing with Oz is that there's so much material to draw from too. But everyone just seems to know only the first book/the MGM movie. Would be nice if they touched on the other Oz stories, though I think the whole "usurping King Pastoria and exiling the young Princess Ozma" seems like an unlikely thing to include.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    Ah see I had not seen the actual premise of the movie... other than it was going to be called The Lone Ranger and Johnny Depp was in it. After reading the description, I'm with you Clinks. If it was going to focus on Tonto call it the Lone Tonto. I can forgive treading into the supernatural if handled in a proper manner and if it wasn't done just do do it... but from the sound of it they were going to go over the top. And yeah... probably would of tanked, Depp or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    ^ Bingo. Mashups are the big industry buzz now: stir together two or three genres, spike with plenty of CG, top with a megastar, let rise in a lukewarm oven until the budget is well inflated and voila! instant profits.

Or at least that's the recipe that's making the town salivate.

Bon appetit.
    Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    Thing with Oz is that there's so much material to draw from too. But everyone just seems to know only the first book/the MGM movie. Would be nice if they touched on the other Oz stories, though I think the whole "usurping King Pastoria and exiling the young Princess Ozma" seems like an unlikely thing to include.
    For those of us 20 and younger who don't know the Lone Ranger this still would have been fine. And Disney is throwing away a potential 600M in profits by not going forward with this. I watched the trailer for John Carter of Mars last night in "Front Row" on my Mac and I can honestly say I will NOT be seeing that movie, it looks awful. I get that its cheaper to not use one of the Hollywood A list actors, but all C and lower is pretty sad. If they can put Johnny Depp, Gepffrey Rush, Penelope Cruz, and Ian McShane in PotC4, Olivia Wilde, Bruce Boxleitner, and Geoff Bridges in Tron Legacy, then they can at least put 1 hollywood A list actor/actress in JCM.

I don't recognize a single person in this trailer. And I'll bet this has as much special effects as Lone Ranger would have.

As for Oz, Everyone will feel like Disney is trying to steal MGM's thunder because to the average person, MGM created Wizard of Oz. And if Oz doesn't cost the same as Lone Ranger I will be shocked beyond reason simply for the visual effects.
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Senior Minion

I watched the trailer for John Carter of Mars last night in "Front Row" on my Mac and I can honestly say I will NOT be seeing that movie, it looks awful.
    I'll see it (I grew up as a fanatic Burroughs collector), but after watching the trailer I sure as hell won't be standing in line the first day. The mature, tall, broad shouldered, grey eyed, aristocratic fighting man who is Captain John Carter has been replaced by a generic 20-something hunky action-movie dude; Tars Tarkas looks like a generic background alien from a Star Wars prequel crowd scene, and Barsoom has become Utah With Weird Plants.

Bleh.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 08-15-2011 at 08:31 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    I'll see it (I grew up as a fanatic Burroughs collector), but after watching the trailer I sure as hell won't be standing in line the first day. The mature, tall, broad shouldered, grey eyed, aristocratic fighting man who is Captain John Carter has been replaced by a generic 20-something hunky action-movie dude; Tars Tarkas looks like a generic background alien from a Star Wars prequel crowd scene, and Barsoom has become Utah With Weird Plants.

Bleh.
    See I have no idea who is who, the trailer gives the casual viewer no idea of names, most trailers give at least a few character names in them. And did you really expect an older actor to play the part? They wanted sex appeal which is why you have a mostly young cast (the sad thing is that Disney is now using sex appeal in their movies, and are therefore as heinous as the rest of the film industry. I do also find it odd that the costuming reminds me so much of Prince of Persia (another one I didn't/won't see).
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

For those of us 20 and younger who don't know the Lone Ranger this still would have been fine. And Disney is throwing away a potential 600M in profits by not going forward with this. I watched the trailer for John Carter of Mars last night in "Front Row" on my Mac and I can honestly say I will NOT be seeing that movie, it looks awful. I get that its cheaper to not use one of the Hollywood A list actors, but all C and lower is pretty sad. If they can put Johnny Depp, Gepffrey Rush, Penelope Cruz, and Ian McShane in PotC4, Olivia Wilde, Bruce Boxleitner, and Geoff Bridges in Tron Legacy, then they can at least put 1 hollywood A list actor/actress in JCM.

I don't recognize a single person in this trailer. And I'll bet this has as much special effects as Lone Ranger would have.

As for Oz, Everyone will feel like Disney is trying to steal MGM's thunder because to the average person, MGM created Wizard of Oz. And if Oz doesn't cost the same as Lone Ranger I will be shocked beyond reason simply for the visual effects.
    Hey! Are you calling me old?

Well ok I am... But I don't think age as so much to do with it as just the story line is not appealing. If I was 20 years old the story line still would not appeal to me, not because of an age thing just a personal opinion.

See I have no idea who is who, the trailer gives the casual viewer no idea of names, most trailers give at least a few character names in them. And did you really expect an older actor to play the part? They wanted sex appeal which is why you have a mostly young cast (the sad thing is that Disney is now using sex appeal in their movies, and are therefore as heinous as the rest of the film industry. I do also find it odd that the costuming reminds me so much of Prince of Persia (another one I didn't/won't see).
    Are you saying an older actor can't play "sexy?" I beg to differ... I can think of older actors that can still play to sex appeal. In this case Disney isn't playing to sex appeal, they are playing to raging hormones and yes, there is a difference.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast