Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Don't expect any Lone Ranger stuff at Disneyland anytime soon...

Shocker! Disney Halts Johnny Depp’s ‘The Lone Ranger’ – Deadline.com

Disney cancelled production on the film. I'm trying to figure out how a Lone Ranger Film would have cost $250 million to begin with.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Re: Don't expect any Lone Ranger stuff at Disneyland anytime soon...

They cancel this over John Carter of Mars? I would of gone to this just to see Depp play Tonto. There is no way the other movies Disney is working on right now will have the same appeal that Depp would of brought to this film. I think they canceled the wrong film.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Senior Minion

A quote from the article:

...Disney pulled the plug because the budget, which I've heard the filmmakers were trying to reduce from $250 million--I've heard from insider that they'd gotten down to $232 million, but whatever the number, it wasn't close to the $200 million that Disney wanted to spend. This had to be an incredibly tough call for Disney's Rich Ross and Sean Bailey, but they have several huge live action bets on the table already. John Carter, the Andrew Stanton-directed adaptation of John Carter of Mars with Friday Night Lights' Taylor Kitsch in the lead role, has a budget that has ballooned to north of $300 million because of extensive re-shoots [a studio insider said the number is lower], and The Great and Powerful Oz, the Sam Raimi-directed James Franco-starrer has a budget is hovering at $200 million.
    Hang onto your shorts, folks, I'm 100% in agreement with Disney's beancounters on this one. A quarter of a billion dollars for a Lone Ranger movie is asinine, I don't care who's scripting, producing, directing and starring. The insane participation deals these A-players demand are what drive the prices. Jeffrey said it years ago: as long as the industry keeps paying these prices, the bubble is going to inflate and inflate -- until the historically fickle audience explodes it in the studio execs' faces.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

Awww, it got moved.... I know it was about the movie, but I thought it;d be relevant since so many people kept using this as a counter point every time Phantom Rider, etc from Marvel was brought up as a Frontierland idea.

I think I read the two Hobbit films are budgeted as a $500 million production. It's pretty unbelievable. Yesterday's $100 million movie is today's $250m.

Ross did some similar belt-tightening with PotC IV during pre-production... I think there was a flashback sea battle between Barbossa & Blackbeard in which the Pearl was sunk in the script - which would have been great to see and added some epic-ness to a fairly un-epic movie. But the belt was tightened and a scene with Depp running across tree-tops became the action filler at the 3/4 point. Going cheap(er) hurt that film, quality-wise, IMO. Still a successful venture for Disney. I wonder if it would have made up the difference in additional box office...

• Senior Minion

I mean, I can see the megabucks for Avatar or the Rings films -- you're breaking new tech ground and the project includes development money. But for Lone Ranger? That's just money going to buy Industry Royalty in the hope that they'll guarantee you enough eyeballs that you won't flop.

Somewhere, Clayton Moore is laughing his mask off.

- Neil Gabler

• All-American

Dangit, this was the one live action film I was really looking forward to in the next few years. Much more so than a Pirates relaunch...

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

I was SOOOOO looking forward to this film...I would have preferred they cancel "Oz" and keep the "Lone Ranger".

• will-o-the-whip

I was looking forward to this one, but $250 millions seems like a lot for a western. None of us has read the script, but it's hard to believe that the movie could not be done for $200 million.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by indianajack View Post
    I was looking forward to this one, but $250 millions seems like a lot for a western. None of us has read the script, but it's hard to believe that the movie could not be done for $200 million.
    The True Grit remake had a hell of a cast and cost like, $40 million. I for the life of me can't figure out what the heck they'd put in a western to make in balloon up to $200+ million.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by noleafclover1980 View Post
    I for the life of me can't figure out what the heck they'd put in a western to make in balloon up to $200+ million.
    The producer, director and Depp.

Unless a film needs to do a lot of ground-breaking R&D like Avatar, the #1 pre-production budget inflators are the above the line A-listers that studio execs pay through the nose for, in order to feel secure that their project won't bomb at the B.O.

- Neil Gabler

I'm kind of with Al on this one, how much Lone Ranger stuff could they expect to sell? A hat, a mask, a cape - all worn by someone other than Johnny Depp who was going to play Tonto.
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

• will-o-the-whip

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    The producer, director and Depp.

Unless a film needs to do a lot of ground-breaking R&D like Avatar, the #1 pre-production budget inflators are the above the line A-listers that studio execs pay through the nose for, in order to feel secure that their project won't bomb at the B.O.
    But the studio's budget doesn't pay for the producer, right? Isn't the producer's job to get the money and organize the financial aspect of a production? And then the producer reaps the rewards when the film makes boffo dollars at the B.O. plus the licensing for toys and other merch, DVD sales, etc.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    They cancel this over John Carter of Mars? I would of gone to this just to see Depp play Tonto. There is no way the other movies Disney is working on right now will have the same appeal that Depp would of brought to this film. I think they canceled the wrong film.
    I couldn't agree more with you, they should have cancelled John Carter or Oz because those don't have Depp, who pretty much guarantees a high box office performance when in a Disney movie.
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Minion

Probably for the best. As for John Carter, I'm glad it's still going and that a story that's had a film adaptation in development hell since the 1940s is getting made, especially when it's one of the most influential on the Sci-Fi genre. Plus it's cool to see Disney playing around with Burroughs again.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast