Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Is John Lassetter trying to tank Walt Disney Feature Animation??

yes, yes he is
    Step on close studio to make a freeway
    Step two use money to fund Cars 3: Return of Mater and more money

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BuenaVista28 View Post
    Look, I have nothing against Lassetter, but his bias is very transparent, he puts his heart and soul into anything Pixar and does not offer that same level of passion with the Disney product. Whether he does it intentionally or not, its still pretty obvious and its very evident.
    I don't know how else to state this, but you're wrong. Plain and simple. You are stating that Lasseter is not passionate about WDAS as a fact, so I have every right to say that you are wrong. Sorry, try again.

Had you met and talked to John, then I could see your opinion. But you haven't.
    Last edited by disneylandfan95; 08-21-2011 at 05:41 PM.

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

He's head of Animation. Why in the world would he want to tank it? BTW didn't John Lassetter actually save Tangled from being a contemporary fairytale with a San Francisco couple?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalFan View Post
    He's head of Animation. Why in the world would he want to tank it?
    This brings up a good point. If Walt Disney Animation tanks, who's held responsible? John and Ed. Sure they still have Pixar, but you know how much respect, say, and authority they would lose if they ran WDAS into the ground. Bob Iger also very much believes in original animation and will not let it tank.

This "conclusion" the OP brought should be completely disregarded, as it was concocted in their own head and holds 0% validity.

i have to say i had no interest in reck in ralph when i first heard about it online but when they showed us some clips, some of the story, and art concept i fell in love! it looks and sounds so good! so don't knock it until you experiance it.

I used to believe very strongly in Lasseter's leadership... however, I'm not so sure anymore.... It's not that I'm saying I agree with the Original Poster. I do not believe that John Lasseter wants to purposefully sabotage anything. That's silly.

However, he seems to be developing a strong cult of personality, the hallmarks of which are indicative of him strangle-holding the leadership. I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing for the studio in the long run. Have you seen the way that everybody is so sure to show us that the man is the equivalent of a paragon? I don't know. It seems like an autocracy is developing at the studios, and I'm worried about it.

• Senior Minion

^ This.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

I guess I just don't see that in Lasseter's leadership. What examples can you think of that make him seem like an autocrat? I certainly don't think the man is perfect, even at his own studio (I don't get his abiding love for Mater or the Cars movies, even though I understand that he's loved cars all his life), but even him running the company in a way that would inadvertently screw over Feature Animation seems odd to me.
    Check out the Mousterpiece Cinema podcast on iTunes, on Twitter, on Facebook, or on the show's blog!

• Fastest Man Alive

Quote Originally Posted by 0ranos View Post
    However, he seems to be developing a strong cult of personality, the hallmarks of which are indicative of him strangle-holding the leadership. I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing for the studio in the long run. Have you seen the way that everybody is so sure to show us that the man is the equivalent of a paragon? I don't know. It seems like an autocracy is developing at the studios, and I'm worried about it.
    Exactly. And even if he is not one coming up with the ideas, his is powerful enough that ideas are only pitched because they think he will like them personally and get approved.
    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Exactly. And even if he is not one coming up with the ideas, his is powerful enough that ideas are only pitched because they think he will like them personally and get approved.
    Silly statement. Anyone in a creative environment that pitches a concept/project/idea hopes that it'll be approved. They're not always gonna be in a fully-formed version or even perhaps completely right at the time. There is alot of different criteria being considered when looking at a go to-the-next-step for development and/or production (millions of dollars thrown at each) at any mahjor studio including Walt Disney Animation Studios. The viability of an original idea to be nurtured into an animated feature film or short is not soley based on a single person's whim, even if his initials are J.L.
    (The bold mine above)
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

I guess I'm just adopting a 'wait and see' attitude until we have more data to draw conclusions from. I mean, let's face it - the things that started production under Lasseter aren't all out in the open yet. I think it'll be another five years before we're able to truly judge what kind of a leader he is/was.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12