Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Star Wars fans starting boycott of Blu-Ray edition

I agree with some of the above, there were some changes that NEEDED to be made.

Example, exploding Death Star ... it's something that works and was needed. Changing Yoda in Episode 1 (audio and video). Again, something that was needed.

There are other changes that weren't really "necessary", but also work.

Example, adding more ships flying past Yavin to attack Death Star 1, adding more of the fly around of cloud city, etc.

Then there are changes that just don't make any sense.

The changes to the original trilogy this time around (that we know about), the Jedi Rocks, Anakin at the end of ROTJ and Jabba in Ep. IV.

• Hello Dolly.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Larry View Post
    Another of the Blu-Ray changes.
    Here's a video that compares the old and new versions when Obi Wan comes to Luke's rescue.
    You make the call.

I'm not going to lie, I laughed when I heard the new yell. That's not a good thing! Was that necessary, really?

Georgie boy sure does love effin the movies up. Next stop 3d release!

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Yeah....thing is do what ever to the first 3 Episode no one cares.....but dont change AUDIO for the Originals they are classic for a reason and sometimes more is less. The Ewolk thing is fine its not a big deal but the new audio just sounds stupid as Jar Jar Binks....really I was going to buy them but now I must think on it

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

I don't care, I just want to see my favorite film franchise in glorious HD format. I don't know if Lucas has been savaged to such a degree before. Star Wars hardcore fans are so annoying and childish when it comes to discussing content. My parents remember how Yoda was ridiculed to death when he debuted in Empire because fans were expecting some grand, cool looking Jedi Master and not some muppety frog. Then came the Ewoks. Everyone hated them. And surprisingly the same films that were belittled by the fans are now called "perfect". Look at the reviews of Return of the Jedi back in 1983, they are reminiscint of the reviews Episode 2 got. In fact, worse since people felt the finale was underwhelming. I understand how fanboys are angered over these changes but boycott the release? Please go away. I just don't take SW fanboys seriously anymore.

If you want the originals, then keep the shoddy DVD transfers from 2004. But don't debase the Blu-Rays because they don't have the originals when you know George isn't ever releasing them again.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by HKDLFAN View Post
    And surprisingly the same films that were belittled by the fans are now called "perfect"
    I don't see that at all. I see people upset about the changes being made for the WORSE, not that changes are made.

Better effects? Great
    Fill in sequences like han and jabba? ok, neat to add back
    changes like this rediculous 'Noooo' and Obi Wan change? Disgusting and changes far for the WORSE

People aren't saying they are sacred.. they are saying stop f'ing 'em up! Screwing them up and directly refusing to publish the films in their unaltered state. That's error plus arrogance. That's what pisses people off
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I don't see that at all. I see people upset about the changes being made for the WORSE, not that changes are made.

Better effects? Great
    Fill in sequences like han and jabba? ok, neat to add back
    changes like this rediculous 'Noooo' and Obi Wan change? Disgusting and changes far for the WORSE

People aren't saying they are sacred.. they are saying stop f'ing 'em up! Screwing them up and directly refusing to publish the films in their unaltered state. That's error plus arrogance. That's what pisses people off
    George Lucas is the epitome of arrogance. If the fanboys haven't understood that yet then there's something extremely wrong with them. Why complain when it's more than obvious that Lucas won't stop changing his films? Several years ago he said the originals are 25-30% of what he envisioned them to be so expect a lot more changes on the way. He basically shoved the unaltered versions in a shoddy DVD transfer 7 years ago to shut the fans up and it's clear he isn't going to re-release them. He still hasn't apologized or said anything publically about Jar Jar. To make him stop and listen to the fans is just wishful thinking, nothing more.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I was looking forward to buying this. I had finally given me a reason to get a Blu-Ray player sometime this year. But now I'm hearing of all these changes and.... NO. Just... NO. I'm glad I have original, un-bastardized theatrical versions on DVD already. I think I'll just stick with though. Though the deleted scenes on the Blu-Ray discs have me very curious.

• Infinitized!

Coming out just a month later, gonna spend my money on this instead:

Lucas's buddy Spielberg gets my money instead. I grew tired of Star Wars awhile back. Plus, give it a year or two and the Star Wars set will be down a few bucks at Walmart.

Also, with Blockbuster completely shutting down here in Canada now, (leaving only Rogers as the big player) and streaming on the rise, these guys are late in the game releasing to Blu.

I have to agree the yell is too funny to be serious. I am fine with changes that fix errors in the film( revealed camera person, wires, etc.). However, some stuff is a little odd, like the Greedo shoots first thing.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by HKDLFAN View Post
    I don't care, I just want to see my favorite film franchise in glorious HD format. I don't know if Lucas has been savaged to such a degree before. Star Wars hardcore fans are so annoying and childish when it comes to discussing content. My parents remember how Yoda was ridiculed to death when he debuted in Empire because fans were expecting some grand, cool looking Jedi Master and not some muppety frog. Then came the Ewoks. Everyone hated them. And surprisingly the same films that were belittled by the fans are now called "perfect". Look at the reviews of Return of the Jedi back in 1983, they are reminiscint of the reviews Episode 2 got. In fact, worse since people felt the finale was underwhelming. I understand how fanboys are angered over these changes but boycott the release? Please go away. I just don't take SW fanboys seriously anymore.

If you want the originals, then keep the shoddy DVD transfers from 2004. But don't debase the Blu-Rays because they don't have the originals when you know George isn't ever releasing them again.

With that attitude, you're well on your way to the dark side! But seriously, I see very little "fact" in your statements. Just opinions and hear-say of the time and not reflective of EVERY one.
    Last edited by sir clinksalot; 09-06-2011 at 06:08 AM.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Circle of Ancients

Look at it as a remixed song ...

Some remixes or remakes are good ... most aren't. But ... no matter the song, you always have the original version if you choose to listen to that one. And it's always on the most up-to-date format.

Not so with Star Wars. Lucas is totally free to re-mix his movies, that's his prerogative, but he should also release the originals as well. It'd be interesting to see if he released both the newest "special" editions and the original versions simultaneously which one would sell more.

I have my thoughts, what say you?

What I really wish he would do would be a "pick your scene" type thing.

You could have the "Special Edition" scene when you want it, the original scene when you don't. Kind of like a build your own Star Wars.

There are scenes that I think were improved that I'd love to still see over the original, but then there are scenes I'd like to never see again.

The technology is there, and he's be hailed as an innovator once again.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    It'd be interesting to see if he released both the newest "special" editions and the original versions simultaneously which one would sell more.
    What better way to avoid comparisons then to prevent them from happening?

He could have just as easily released a bigger set with both the originals and retouched ones and people would have bought it without thinking twice. But the guy seems intent on ensuring the originals are not released for some demented artistic disturbance in his head.

I get someone doesn't want what they consider 'bad' work seen.. but does he really believe these new changes are BETTER? Is he that arrogant or just surrounded by so many Yes Men that he actually believes it.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    ... the guy seems intent on ensuring the originals are not released for some demented artistic disturbance in his head.

I get someone doesn't want what they consider 'bad' work seen.. but does he really believe these new changes are BETTER? Is he that arrogant or just surrounded by so many Yes Men that he actually believes it.
    Unfortunately, yes -- George is that arrogant. It's not that he is surrounded by Yes Men, it's that no one dares say No to him: he tells people what to do and they do it.

Yes, he does believe that whatever he does to his previous works makes them better.

And yes, it is a disturbance -- but it has nothing to do with artistry.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

If there was an option to watch the original non messed with versions included on the disk as well, this wouldnt be an issue

But the fact that hes making these changes and stubbornly telling everyone "Its this or nothing" is pretty arogant.

Star Wars is bigger than him these days, something like this you can't really take full ownership on anymore in the metaphorical sense, it belongs to all the fans. People have fond memories of the originals and want to show their children those movies, not whatever crap Lucas keeps thinking of.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast