Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• My prices are INSANE!

Star Wars fans starting boycott of Blu-Ray edition

Not to beat a dead Wampa, but old George is at it again.
    Details have been released by Lucasfilm about the changes that will be made to the original trilogy films.

Darth Vader in Return Of The Jedi specifically yells “Nooooo! Nooooo!” when the Emperor is trying to kill Luke.
    Obi-Wan Kenobi’s Krayt Dragon howl is noticeably different in Star Wars aka A New Hope.
    The Ewoks’ eyes have been CGI’ed and now blink.
    Yoda’s not quite the same Yoda of yore because of digitalized alterations.
    Funny, I just hunted down the original cuts that were released on DVD a couple of years back.
    And I'm thoroughly happy with it.

Here's the link to the Deadline Hollywood story.

Hardcore Fans Call For Boycott Of George Lucas’ Altered ‘Star Wars Saga’ On Blu-Ray – Deadline.com

I will not bother purchasing this set. I've given enough to Uncle George.
    And I'm sure the deleted scenes will eventually pop up on Youtube after the release.

No loss.
    Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

Stop by my website
    http://www.ericedunn.com/

• Infinitized!

Re: Star Wars fans starting boycott of Blu-Ray edition

Noooooooo!!!

I think I'm gonna pass on this release and get the Jurassic Park trilogy instead which is coming out a month later.

• Shablagoo!

I was not planning on buying the blu rays anyways. Now I am absolutely sure I won't.

• My prices are INSANE!

The obi-wan screaming bit is up as well.
    Although the new CGI Yoda in Ep1 is better than the puppet. Maybe they could CGI the kid.

Stop by my website

• mountains beyond mtns.

I am boycotting as well!

The Lucas family fund will have to look to my contributions from other sources.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

What's unfortunate is that Lucas had vowed to give half his fortune to charities and for that reason, I always supported the re-releasing of his films. The more he makes, the more the charities can hope to make as well.

But.... dang it. I could ignore the Greedo shooting first. I could ignore how dumb "jedi rocks" is. I could ignore the ugly-arse Ronto that blocks the entire frame in Mos Eisley.

I embrace the visual effects upgrades and the expansion of the Return of the Jedi finale.

I can't, however, accept Vader's dialogue change at the end of Empire Strikes Back. I can't accept Hayden Ghost at the end of Return of the Jedi... but even those could be slightly ignored because I can at least "blink" and I'll miss it.

The "nooo" at the end of Return of the Jedi not only ruins the climax of the original trilogy, but now the entire saga. It's so poorly thought out it's not even funny.

I have my blu-ray pre-ordered on amazon but I think now is the time to cancel.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• My prices are INSANE!

Another of the Blu-Ray changes.
    Here's a video that compares the old and new versions when Obi Wan comes to Luke's rescue.
    You make the call.

Stop by my website

• Circle of Ancients

Like Coheteboy, I always have supported Lucas and have grown to look past a few things (although it's hard to look past Jedi Rocks).

I just don't understand with the technology available today on Blu Ray, why not have an option for fans of the original to watch them in their original form, and those who don't care to watch them the way they are now.

I mean really, we are only talking a few scenes per movie and removing some of the effects (the Mos Eisley stuff in Episode IV is very annoying).

If he had offered both versions I would have paid double what they are asking for the set.

I do like the changes I've seen to the prequel, the new CGI Yoda looks/sounds great. But leave the originals alone already!!

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

It doesn't really bother me when artist continues to tinker with his work. That's the way I see these changes.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    It doesn't really bother me when artist continues to tinker with his work. That's the way I see these changes.
    I think the problem most people have is that he is making it worse, at least that is how most people are lookign at it.

I do agree that they are his films and he can do whatever he wants with them. However, it is my money, and I do not have to give it to him.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    I do agree that they are his films and he can do whatever he wants with them. However, it is my money, and I do not have to give it to him.
    This.

There is something to be said for listening to your fans that have given you all the $$ in the first place.

The way I've always looked at art, whether it's music, movies, books, etc ... is that they are the artists, absolutely. But once they are out in the world, they really belong to the fans. Some people get this ... some don't. Lucas apparently doesn't.

• Infinitized!

And just think, in a couple years, Lucas will be making us buy the 3D versions! The vid I posted above has links in it to the other altered scenes.

• Pilot EdForceOne

I get people having change of hearts and wanting to alter something emotion to them (guns in ET, greedo, etc)... but I just don't see how anyone watching the vader and obiwan changes and go 'wow, that really improves it!'.. or even for that matter says 'much better'. If you can't come to those conclusions.. don't do it.

I mean.. these are just bad.. like really horrible bad.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• I'm not really here

This just proves that George can't let go and is way over obsessed. Obsessions at first are great. You pay attention to the details, you pour your heart and soul into them. But after a while, they start consuming you, eating at you. You can't stop and let them go. You can't walk away when you're on top. That's George.

These changes are pointless and ridiculous. Some even alter the entire emotional tone of the story. Even the Greedo change, that really alters a moment that establishes Han's character. Same with the Vader changes being made. It cheapens them.

I don't mind adding background stuff, or cleaning up bad effects, but alterations to the storylines and characterizations, that's not cool. The theatrical releases were popular for a reason, why alter that?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

The real problem, for me, isn't that Lucas wants to change the movies he made (though technically, he directed only one of the original films). What annoys me is that he is trying very hard to remove the original versions from existence. The 2008 DVD release with the original versions have been discontinued, so you have to go to eBay to find them if you're interested. If there were multiple options available--like with Blade Runner--would any of us be this annoyed? I doubt it.
    Check out the Mousterpiece Cinema podcast on iTunes, on Twitter, on Facebook, or on the show's blog!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast