Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: 'The Lion King' 3D box office jungle

I would love to see them clean up and make The Black Cauldron 3D. If they could find the cut sections of that movie that were deemed to scary for the year it was released and maybe try and figure out the bugs on the holographic projection they once envisioned for the movie I think it would be awesome. I know that most theaters would not go for the expensed of the hologram if they could figure it out but a limited engagement for a select amount of theaters would be awesome.
    It could possibly become another yearly Halloween event release for them.

Agreed. Lion King marked the peak of the 2nd Golden Age. Unfortunately, that Golden Age fizzled fast with cheap looking animation the next year in Pocahontas and again in Hercules and Emperor's Groove, Lilo, etc. I think Hunchback was excellent, although not as popular. Tarzan? Weak. Dinosaur? Fun, but the Disney shine was off by that point. Pixar won out and not long after bought them out because Disney couldn't churn out the quality they put out between 1989 and 1994/96.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

WHAT?!?!!? Emperor's New Groove & Lilo and Stitch are two of Disneys best movies!! Blasphemy!!!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by WesternMouse View Post
    Agreed. Lion King marked the peak of the 2nd Golden Age. Unfortunately, that Golden Age fizzled fast with cheap looking animation the next year in Pocahontas and again in Hercules and Emperor's Groove, Lilo, etc. I think Hunchback was excellent, although not as popular. Tarzan? Weak.
    'Pocahontas' look was taken directly from the actual Virginia setting and 'Hercules' characters and art direction were inspired by the very unique illustration of Gerald Scarfe.

'Tarzan' featured Disney's breakthrough Deep Canvas technique that made Tarzan's travels via trees and vines so thrilling and the particularly dazzling work of supervising animator Glen Keane on the title character.

Chris Sanders' 'Lilo and Stitch' utilized gorgeous watercolor backgrounds to bring the lush beauty of Kauai to life and introduced arguably the most successful new, original character to the Disney library.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Agreed. Lion King marked the peak of the 2nd Golden Age. Unfortunately, that Golden Age fizzled fast with cheap looking animation the next year in Pocahontas and again in Hercules and Emperor's Groove, Lilo, etc. I think Hunchback was excellent, although not as popular. Tarzan? Weak. Dinosaur? Fun, but the Disney shine was off by that point. Pixar won out and not long after bought them out because Disney couldn't churn out the quality they put out between 1989 and 1994/96.
    Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    'Pocahontas' look was taken directly from the actual Virginia setting and 'Hercules' characters and art direction were inspired by the very unique illustration of Gerald Scarfe.

'Tarzan' featured Disney's breakthrough Deep Canvas technique that made Tarzan's travels via trees and vines so thrilling and the particularly dazzling work of supervising animator Glen Keane on the title character.

Chris Sanders' 'Lilo and Stitch' utilized gorgeous watercolor backgrounds to bring the lush beauty of Kauai to life and introduced arguably the most successful new, original character to the Disney library.
    Yes, The Lion King was the pinnacle of the beginning of the 2nd Golden Age, but Hunchback and Pocahontas brought it to a screaching hault. Yeah, the fault falls to BOTH of those movies. Just didn't like either of those movies, Heck, I like Home on the Range Better, and I think the music in Home on the Range was better than Poca or Hunch.

However do count me a fan of Disney's Tarzan, New Groove, Hercules, Mulan, Lilo and Stitch ~ all beautifully done and great stories, and love the fun in New Groove.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Cheaper looking or not......the story's of all Disney Movies Up to Mulan (and the music) are great. I cant defend anything after Mulan up until Bolt

How do they convert a movie from 2D to 3D? Is converting animation easier or more difficult than live action?

I'd love to see "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" in 3D.
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^I would animated is easier since your working with less "Space" or "Plain" in animated movies you have a background...then another plain with more stuff in background...then the characters...then other objects that appear even closer to the camera....

In a live action film you've got MANY things in each shot that might have to go on different plains to make the 3D look good/nature if you do it lazy like Crash of the Titans or Potter it looks BAD

• Sock Puppet

i didnt even know that they made a lion king 3d

• will-o-the-whip

New Groove seems more like a Dreamworks movie with all the self-referential snark. I could never sit through the whole thing. The post Lion King films of Mulan, Pocahontas, Hercules are all fine (even Stitch is watchable), but nowhere near the greatness of Mermaid, B&B, Aladdin and Lion King.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Disney’s 3D re-release of The Lion King continued to awe, grossing $6.1 million on Friday and potentially $20 million or more for the weekend, depending upon how Saturday plays out.
    Box Office Report: Brad Pitt's 'Moneyball' Tops Friday; Taylor Lautner's 'Abduction' Lands at No. 4 - The Hollywood Reporter

---------- Post added 09-24-2011 at 12:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Not My Real Name View Post
    How do they convert a movie from 2D to 3D? Is converting animation easier or more difficult than live action?
    What is the process for doing something like this? Do you go from start to finish with the film, or do you break it into segments and work on different parts of it?

NEUMAN: With this film, since it’s something archival that we’re doing – unlike a new film that may have some sequences more ready than others, for whatever reason, so you don’t necessarily do it in a linear fashion – we happened to have the entire film at our disposal, so we had all the inventory to work on. Then, it became a matter of maybe putting off some of the more complex stuff. But, we had the luxury of going through it almost in a linear fashion because it was all there. At that point, we have 60 artists. We had four sequence leads, each of whom were in charge of a group of 15 artists, and each team would get an entire sequence assigned to them. We would start at the beginning, other than some complex sequences that we were pushing off, and just plow through it that way.

Are there any particular challenges with converting hand-drawn animation?

NEUMAN: Yes. The challenge is that hand-drawn animation has flat cell shading. The most you have is tone lines. There’s no textural detail. Other than that, essentially all your image consists of is line art and tone. As a result, the 3D shape that you impose on the object has to be rational and make sense to the audience. Otherwise, they don’t perceive the same feature as equating to its corresponding feature in the other eye.
    A person is roughly convex. You’re not concave. If you were to take a live-action film and take a person and convert that, making them convex and putting an arbitrary shape on them, people would look at it and think it’s wrong, but they would still perceive it correctly. If you were to do that with a cartoon object that’s line art, and you were to dimensionalize it wrong, your eyes wouldn’t be able to fuse the features from line to line because there’s nothing to interpolate between. It doesn’t make sense. You have to be careful that you don’t do think in too incorrect a manner, or it looks like a mistake. It looks like an artifact.

In taking on these classic and much-loved Disney animated features and converting them to 3D, what kind of meticulous care do you have to take, making sure that the quality is there for the Blu-ray release?

NEUMAN: That was foremost on everybody’s mind who was working on it – each one of the artists. This responsibility has been given to you. It’s something that has an undisputed status as being a classic, and the last thing you want to be doing is anything that – forget about sabotaging – is not going to do it justice. So, foremost on everybody’s mind was to make this a plus to the process. We wanted this to be an improvement, and not some arbitrary slap-dash thing that we did. On top of that, we had the additional benefit of working with the original filmmakers. That was a very good thing because, with all that responsibility, it was nice to be able to show it to them and make sure that this coincided with their vision of the film.

How much time did it take to complete?

NEUMAN: It was four months of production. It was fast, but it didn’t seem that quick when we were on it. Those were some busy days.

read the full interview at:
    Robert Neuman THE LION KING 3D Interview
    Last edited by ALIASd; 09-24-2011 at 11:33 AM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Box Office Shocker:
    'Lion King' Set to Become No. 3
    Animated Pic of All Time
    Thanks to Re-release

Disney’s 3D re-release of The Lion King—one of the biggest box office surprises in recent history—is doing so well that the pic is about to pass Pixar’s Finding Nemo and become the fourth top-grossing animated film of all time on its way to claiming the No. 3 spot.

Through Sunday, the re-release has grossed $77.7 million globally, including a dazzling 10-day domestic total of $61.7 million. That puts Lion King’s total gross at $862.1 million, just behind Finding Nemo’s worldwide tally of $867.9 million.

That’s not all: Lion King should ultimately eclipse Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs ($886.7 million) and take the No. 3 spot, considering the re-release is expected to do another $40 million in business worldwide. It has only opened in 19 markets internationally, representing 41 percent of the foreign marketplace.

The No. 1 animated pic of all time worldwide is Disney and Pixar’s Toy Story 3 ($1.1 billion), followed by DreamWorks Animations’ Shrek 2 ($919 million), Dawn of the Dinosaurs, Nemo and, rounding out the top five, Lion King.

The Lion King re-release has become a box office phenomenon, drawing both families and couples.

“During the daytime, we are seeing family business. But in the evening, it’s a date-night title for a generation that loved the film when they were younger,” said Disney executive vice president of distribution Dave Hollis.

According to exit polling, couples make up 20 percent of Lion King’s audience, while teens make up roughly 9 percent. The remainder of the audience is families.

Lion King stunned Hollywood when opening to a first-place $30.2 million over the Sept. 16-18 weekend at the domestic box office, followed by an even more surprising No. 1 finish over the Sept. 23-25 weekend. The re-release grossed $22.1 million in its second outing, beating such erstwhile competitors as Brad Pitt baseball drama Moneyball and new family film Dolphin Tale.

“It’s a great movie,” Hollis continued, “and timeless in its storytelling.”

The re-release, which is playing on some 2D screens as well, is generating more than 90 percent of its grosses from 3D locations. Domestically, the film has one more weekend of full play in theaters before the Diamond Blu-Ray edition of the film is released on Oct. 4.

Back on the top 10 list of animated films, Shrek the Third holds at No. 6 ($799 million), followed by Shrek Forever After ($752.6 million), Up (731.3 million), Kung Fu Panda 2 ($659.2 million) and, coming in No. 10, Ice Age: The Meltdown ($655.4 million).
    Box Office Shocker: 'Lion King' Set to Become No. 3 Animated Pic of All Time Thanks to Re-release - The Hollywood Reporter

• Minion

I agree that 1989 - 1994 was Disney Animation's second golden age, with the exception of Rescuers Down Under. IMO the first half of the Lion King is perhaps the best half of an animated film that Disney has ever created. But I do find the second half - and the climax in particular - just a bit weaker. For me, overall, BATB is the creative peak of the second golden age.

Although the films that followed the Lion King didn't quite have the same magic, IMO every film that Disney Animation produced during the 1990s was either good or very good. Pocahontas was never going to appeal to as broad an audience as the Lion King - and I think that the last minute decision to cut out the "If I Never Knew You" sequence was a big mistake. I saw the DVD with that sequence restored, and it made a big difference for me. Hunchback could have been a great film as well - but the happy ending kind of spoils it for me. For me, this is one film that would have worked better as a tragedy.

With the exception of Lilo and Stitch - the films released after Fantasia 2000 and before Princess and the Frog either fail in terms of plot, or lack the polish one traditionally expects of Disney films, although I did like one or two of them.

Hopefully Disney takes note of these box office results and continues to support the Animation unit in continuing the revival represented by their last two features.
    Down with the Hat

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Not My Real Name View Post

I'd love to see "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" in 3D.
    I suspect that it's slightly easier depending on the source.

If they have material that was filmed for the digital multiplane camera, then it can be relatively easily (It's still work, it's just easier!) converted to 3D since the items that need to be made to "pop out" (shorter focal length) are already known.

According to Wikipedia, all the film after Little Mermaid were filmed w/ this, so it's easier than with other 2D material. Ex: Making Plane Crazy 3D would be just as hard as for making Casablanca 3D.

I would love to see RR in 3D as well.

Here's a link to an article on Slate regarding the process

Thanks a bunch, guys!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast