Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'The Lion King' 3D box office jungle

'The Lion King' Earns $8.8 Million on Friday
    for $25 Million Weekend

Defying all projections, Disney’s re-release of The Lion King roared its way to a first-day gross of $8.8 million at the domestic box office and is now on course to gross as much as $25 million for the weekend.

Families are turning out in force to see the 3D conversion of The Lion King (theaters also are playing the toon on 2D screens), which was largely intended to promote the Oct. 4 release of the Diamond Blu-Ray edition of the film. But the theatrical run is turning out to be a phenomenon in and of itself.

Heading into the weekend, Lion King was expected to gross $12 million to $13 million; by midday Friday, those figures had been revised upwards to $15 million or better. For Disney, the news kept getting better and better as the evening wore on (some box office pundits, however, thought it would gross $18 million to $20 million all along).

Lion King remains the top grossing hand-drawn animation film of all time, and ushered in what's known as the "Disney Renaissance." All told, it's grossed north of $328.5 million domestically, and $788.2 million worldwide, including more than $10 million already earned in Latin America by the 3D re-release.
    Box Office Report: 'The Lion King' Earns $8.8 Million on Friday for $25 Million Weekend - The Hollywood Reporter
    Last edited by ALIASd; 09-17-2011 at 10:40 AM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Re: 'The Lion King' 3D box office jungle

Lion King remains the top grossing hand-drawn animation film of all time, and ushered in what's known as the "Disney Renaissance." All told, it's grossed north of $328.5 million domestically, and $788.2 million worldwide, including more than $10 million already earned in Latin America by the 3D re-release.
    Great news about The Lion King, in addition to a few toys in the Disney Store, I noticed that Walmart is also carrying some Lion King toys/action figures.

Oh, by the way, Hollywood Reporter is off Target when they say that The Lion King ushered in the "Disney Renaissance". That honor would go to The Little Mermaid. And by the way, it already was named as "Disney's 2nd Golden Age".

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

They have a nice menu of sponsorship partners involved including Hasbro & Subway:
    Partners | The Lion King | Disney | Official Site

And yes, the honor should go to 'The Little Mermaid' released in 1989!
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Banned User

Great news!! hear that John Lassetter? a non-Buddy Film is making money! take note k?

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

After seeing it a D23 in 3D I am amazed how well they did with it.......Really to me this film worked REALLY well with 3D and I want to see it again because of how epic it is seeing it on the big screen

• Seasick

I'm surprised to see interest in the re-release so high. I guess the movie still strikes a chord with people.

You can bet this means we'll be seeing more movies re-released in 3D. Titanic and Star Wars Episode 1 are already coming, but the floodgates might really start to open now.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^I'm good with seeing all the Disney movies from the 90's in 3D...as long as it done as well as the Lion King but really I just want to see the classic films back on the Big Screen.....heck it would be cool to see some Pixar Movies redo too (Bugs Life...Increables etc)

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

'The Lion King' roars to #1 to win the weekend with a projected $29.3 million. Final numbers released tomorrow.

---------- Post added 09-18-2011 at 02:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BuenaVista28 View Post
    Great news!! hear that John Lassetter? a non-Buddy Film is making money! take note k?
    Does that mean Timon and Pumbaa aren't friends anymore? What purpose do you think they serve if not a buddy duo...formulas become formulas for a reason, k.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^I think what he means is.....yes have characters that are friends BUT the Lion King is NOT a buddy film and most Disney Classic's aren't they are about a main characters that through the help of his friends (new and old) becomes a better person but compared Up to Mulan and the relationships are MUCH different even through Mushu are buddies

Now estimates are 29,300,000... for the weekend.

Weekend Box Office Results for September 16-18, 2011 - Box Office Mojo

I just went and saw it, and wow... standing ovation at the end of a 17 YO movie... more adults than children in there.

They did a great job on the 3D. (I wanted to see it in 2D, but the timing didn't work).

• Circle of Ancients

It just goes to show that good storytelling will win out every time. Re-Releasing lesser movies in 3D just to capitalize on this would be a mistake.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

It's a classic film which resonates for both boys and girls. A weekend without much family film competition. New 3D print. Jackpot!

When I was a kid, Disney would rerelease films all the time. That has fallen by the wayside.

If they can jazz up old films by restoring cut numbers or adding a great new 3D print, I think they should rerelease them.

Would you like to see Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast on the big screen again? I know I would.

After this boffo box office weekend for Lion King, I sure hope that some additional rerelease projects get the green light.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post

Would you like to see Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast on the big screen again? I know I would.

After this boffo box office weekend for Lion King, I sure hope that some additional rerelease projects get the green light.
    We saw Beauty and the Beast about a year on the big screen (a sing a long version...NNL and I were the only ones singing!) It was so much fun and great to see it again on the big screen.

I'm not a huge Lion King fan, but will see it again on the big screen to support the practice. I'm hoping they'll do a nationwide release the 3D Beauty and the Beast they converted prior to this, which was just at the El Cap.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    No question ... but as I'm not a terribly big fan of 3D, I really hope they also offer a 2D option. I know they did with Lion King, but it wasn't very wide.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

I saw both this and Beauty and the Beast 3D, and I cannot stress enough how AMAZING these films are in 3D! However, I have to give the edge to BatB.. really made the castle and surrounding spaces seem so much grander! Not to mention BatB had always been one of my absolute favorite movies!

I would SO support them re-releasing more of the classics in 3D- and I know my friends would, too. We were all blown away by how well Disney did with this conversion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast