14. The Invisible Man's Revenge (1944)
    15. An American Werewolf in London
    16. The Evil Dead
    17. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
    18. Garfield's Thanksgiving/Garfield's Halloween Adventure
    19. 28 Days Later
    20. 28 Weeks Later

28 Days Later

It's weird, I haven't seen this movie until now, but I'm sure I've seen scenes from it - must've been on TV and I didn't even realize what I was watching. The scenes at Chris Eccleston's compound seemed familiar. Great movie! Lot's of blood. Lots of gore.

28 Weeks Later

I have seen this one before. This was my 2nd time watching it. Of the two, I think I like this one better. Really great follow-up. Again, lots of blood, lots of gore!

• Disneyland PAP

Re: Halloween Movie Marathon 2011

I've gotta full schedule the next week or so, but had to share here a film my friends and I discussed last night: Coraline. I own it so I hope to find some time to watch it before Halloween.

• Infinitized!

Recent viewings in bold:

1. Scarecrow of Romney Marsh Parts I, II, & III
    2. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
    3. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
    4. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
    5. Zombieland
    6. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
    7. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
    8. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
    9. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1
    10. The Invisible Man (1933)
    11. The Invisible Man Returns (1940)
    12. The Invisible Woman (1940)
    13. Invisible Agent (1942)
    16. The Evil Dead
    19. 28 Days Later
    20. 28 Weeks Later
    21. Werewolf of London (1935)
    22. She-Wolf of London (1946)
    23. The Wolf Man (1941)

Werewolf of London (1935)

I decided to get into my Universal Studios Wolf Man Legacy Collection, and started with the non Larry Talbot movies first. And actually, Werewolf of London was the first Universal Studios werewolf movie to be released, 6 years before the original Wolf Man. This one is a little slower. The makeup isn't as elaborate as Wolf Man either. An alright movie overall.

She-Wolf of London (1946)

Slow and not as exciting as The Wolf Man. That's pretty much all I got to say about this one. And it was released 6 years after The Wolf Man.

The Wolf Man (1941)

A classic! One of my favourites from the old Universal Studios' monsters. Love the makeup. Love the atmosphere with the misty forest, and the mysteriousness of the gypsy camp. Love it. Bela Lugosi (Dracula) and Claude Rains (The Invisible Man) costar, with Lon Chaney Jr in the lead role.

• Infinitized!

Recent viewings in bold:

5. Zombieland
    16. The Evil Dead
    19. 28 Days Later
    20. 28 Weeks Later
    23. The Wolf Man (1941)
    24. Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man (1943)

Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man (1943)

Decided to take a break from sending out resumes and have a matinee. Finished watching my Wolf Man Legacy Collection with Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man. It's like watching the lead-up to The Avengers. A direct sequel to The Wolf Man, but I'm confused at where in the Frankenstein timeline this one takes place, before House of Frankenstein maybe? It's great to see Lon Chaney Jr. reprise his role and Maria Ouspenskata is backas the gypsy woman Maleva. My only gripe is Boris Karloff wasn't back as the monster, instead Bela Lugosi took over this role. Two things stuck out at me: the opening graveyard, in style, it looked like the one they designed for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. And the final climax with the dam breach, it was like X-Men 2 with the Alkali Lake dam. Great follow-up. Love the atmosphere of these movies.

Got some chores to do, but I'll watch some more later this evening.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Gone2Disneyland View Post
    I watched the 1931 version of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde this evening on YouTube, after a recommendation from a horror fan friend of mine. Keeping in mind it was produced before censorship guidelines were enforced, I found this to be an amazing, provocative and tragic film. The leads who played Dr. Jekyll (pronounced GEE-kle in this film, which took a while to get used to!) and the prostitute Ivy were deeply committed to their roles, which really made some of the scenes either uncomfortable to watch or sympathetic to what their characters were going through. Afterwards, I realized I'd never seen any version of a Dr J & Mr H film; this story was so unfamiliar to me. If you haven't seen this film yet, you can find it on YouTube in 11 parts. After this one, I really don't have an interest seeing any other versions of this story; I really enjoyed this one!
    This was on TCM a week or two ago. Pretty disturbing relative to its release date. Frederic March plays both Jekyll and Hyde, won an Oscar. I highly recommend it.

---------- Post added 10-13-2011 at 04:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    When the movie series first started, I was not familiar with the books, nor did I see the first 3 movies in the theater. It wasn't until Goblet of Fire that I saw my first HP movie on the big screen. I enjoyed GoF, but I still wasn't big into the series. I realized this was an acquired taste. I then watched the first three on DVD and started to really enjoy the series. And I admit, I got into the books late - I just finished Philospher's Stone a couple days ago, and started reading Chamber of Secrets last night. Really enjoyed reading PS, but I'm looking forward to the longer books to see what was dropped from the movies.
    I think you'll be pleasantly surprised to read the dropped scenes. Heck, there are whole plots removed, some of which were essential to the next movies' plots! Can't tell you which ones at this moment. Let's just say there is a lot more Quidditch than just one game per year (or 0, in the case of "The Order of the Phoenix" movie).
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Infinitized!

Recent viewings in bold:

5. Zombieland
    16. The Evil Dead
    19. 28 Days Later
    20. 28 Weeks Later
    23. The Wolf Man (1941)
    25. The Wolfman - Unrated Director's Cut(2010)
    26. Frankenstein (1931)

The Wolfman - Unrated Director's Cut (2010)

Love this remake. It's great and underrated. I think what hurt this during its theatrical release last year was the release date: (1) It was Valentines Day weekend, not Halloween, (2) It was Chinese New Year, and (3) It opened the same day the 2010 Olympic Winter Games started in Vancouver - so I don't think too many people got out to the theaters during the couple weeks that it was out. Had Universal Opened it in October, it would've done a whole lot better. Also, they should've released the Unrated Director's cut , although I still haven't seen the theatrical release. I do like the changes from the original (not gonna say them here in case anyone hasn't seen it yet). And it's great to see Rick Baker's work again on screen. I do recommend the Unrated Director's Cut - more blood, more gore! )

Frankenstein (1931)

Boris Karloff's original classic. Love the set design of the lab - later used by Mel Brooks in Young Frankenstein. The one thing I keep forgetting though, actually two things, is that Dr Frankenstein's name is Henry in this one and not Victor, and his assistant is Fritz, not Igor. Universal wants to remake Bride of Frankenstein, but I hope they could remake this one first (even though we did get Mary Shelley's Frankenstein in 1994, but it wasn't Universal). I like what they did with The Wolfman, so I want to see what the could do with this one.

• Infinitized!

Recent viewings in bold:

5. Zombieland
    16. The Evil Dead
    19. 28 Days Later
    20. 28 Weeks Later
    23. The Wolf Man (1941)
    25. The Wolfman - Unrated Director's Cut (2010)
    26. Frankenstein (1931)
    27. Bride of Frankenstein (1935)

Bride of Frankenstein (1935)

The direct sequel to Frankenstein. Frank is frisky and wants, well you know. But the relationship is a failure and ends in sudden divorce, and an explosion. A great atmospheric piece, and I like that the actors from the first movie are back to reprise their roles. Apparently a remake is in the works, but who knows when it's coming out.

• Infinitized!

Recent viewings in bold:

5. Zombieland
    16. The Evil Dead
    19. 28 Days Later
    20. 28 Weeks Later
    23. The Wolf Man (1941)
    25. The Wolfman - Unrated Director's Cut (2010)
    26. Frankenstein (1931)
    27. Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
    28. Son of Frankenstein (1939)
    29. Ghost of Frankenstein (1942)
    30. House of Frankenstein (1944)
    31. Boo!: A Short Film (1932)

Son of Frankenstein (1935)

The longest movie in the Frankenstein franchise, clocking in at 1 hr 40 mins. It's not bad, but it drags on in a few spots. One plus is that Boris Karloff is back for the last time playing the monster. Basil Rathbone plays the younger Frankenstein heir, and Bela Lugosi plays Ygor, a shepherd turned monster's friend. One thing that I noticed was the set design; in some places it looks like Tim Burton was involved, especially with the interior of the castle. Frankenstein's lab is completely redesigned from the first couple of movies and this time it features a pool of hot sulphur - which is used in the climax (this must be where James Cameron got inspiration for the end of Terminator 2 - it's quite similar). Even tough it drags on in a few bits, it's still quite enjoyable.

Ghost of Frankenstein (1942)

Lon Chaney Jr. takes over the role as the monster, but it's missing Karloff's charm. Chaney makes the monster look more like Herman Munster. Bela Lugosi is back as Ygor. This time, Ygor Persuades Dr. Frankenstein, the son of the original, to transplant
    Ygor's brain into the monster's body. Slightly weaker, but an alright follow-up.

House of Frankenstein (1944)

Great concept - it's like watching next year's Avengers movie where you got all these iconic characters in the same movie. However, it kinda falls flat. Dracula is kinda wasted in this one and does not spend any screen time with Frankenstein's monster or the Wolf Man. One plus is that Lon Chaney Jr. is reprising his role as Lawrence Talbot/the Wolf Man. Boris Karloff is also back, but this time he's playing the mad scientist. This movie is supposed to be a direct sequel to Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man. Good concept, but could've been made a whole lot better.

Boo!: A Short Film (1932)

This one is included on the Frankenstein Legacy Collection set. It's only about 10 minutes long and comprises scenes from the various Universal Monster movies, including Nosferatu. The narration is hilarious. I had some good laughs. Here it is on Youtube if anyone wants to watch it:

• Infinitized!

32. Young Frankenstein
    33. Mary Shelley's Frankenstein

Young Frankenstein

Blücher! What can I say, a Mel Brooks Classic! After seeing the orignals I finally got some of the spoofs, like the one-armed inspector (originally from Son of Frankenstein). The whole cast is great in this one, and we get a young, super-cute Teri Garr. As Peter Boyle blurted out, it's "uuper- duper!" This is one I watch every year. "What knockers!"

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein

Thought I'd wrap-up my Frankenstein viewing this year with the 1994 Kenneth Branagh remake. I really don't know why this movie gets panned. You go to various critic sites and it gets as low as two stars. I think it's well done. May be one of the goriest Frankenstein, but well done. I don't even know if you'd consider this one a remake as it was Columbia's, not Universal. Would be interesting to see Universal do a remake of theirs.

I'm taking a break for a few days as I got guests coming over for the next week. I'll resume my movie watching next weekend, maybe I'll sneak in a viewing of Scary Movie or something.

• Infinitized!

After a brief hiatus, I continued my viewing with Dracula...

34. Nosferatu (1922)
    35. Dracula (1931)
    36. Dracula - Spanish Version (1931)
    37. Dracula's Daughter (1936)

Nosferatu (1922)

Decided to get into the Dracula portion of my marathon. First time watching this one. Technically not the first Dracula movie as it wasn't lost, but the earliest remaining. For a silent movie, this one is creepy as hell. Count Orlock (Dracula) looks like a demon, which makes it much more terrifying - especially when they just show Max Shreck's silhouette, very effective. Definietly worth checking out, and best of all, you can watch it legally for free online as it is in the public domain.

Dracula (1931)

The Bela Lugosi original. The one that all other pop-culture versions borrowed the look of, like Sesame Street's The Count. Great atmosphere, and one thing that I caught watching it this time around is the touch of humor with the vampire bee leaving it's own coffin near the beginning of the movie. Couldn't figure out what the armadillos were doing there though.

Dracula - Spanish Version (1931)

Shot at the same time as the Bela Lugosi version, and on the same sets. It is interesting to check out, with some creative camera work. However, this one clocks in at an 1 hr and 44 mins - a bit too long. Because of this longer running time, I think I prefer Lugosi's version better. Also, Carlos Villarias's facial expressions make Dracula look more comedic in some scenes.

Dracula's Daughter (1936)

It starts out alright with Edward Van Sloan back as Von Helsing (that's Von, not Van). But then it seems to turn into a mid 1930's chick flick. I might have to give this one a 2nd viewing in the future, maybe give it a 2nd chance.

• Infinitized!

38. Son of Dracula (1943)
    39. House of Dracula (1945)
    40. Bram Stocker's Dracula (1992)
    41. Young Indiana Jones: Masks of Evil
    42. Ghost Ship

Son of Dracula (1943)

With this movie I matched my last year's record of 38 movies. I enjoyed this one better than Dracula's Daughter. However, I didn't buy Lon Chaney Jr. as Dracula. I don't know, he just didn't fit the role. He was better off playing the Wolf Man. One cool thing about this one are the effects for that time, especially when Dracula transforms from bat to human form.

House of Dracula (1945)

I have to say, these monster mash-ups are kinda lame. The most decent one from the early Universal Studios monster movies was Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man. This one was just lame. Stephen Sommers' Van Helsing is much better than this. The only bright part was that Lon Chaney Jr. was back as the Wolf Man for the last time. Between Karloff, Lugosi, and Chaney, Chaney was the only actor of the three to reprise his signature monster character, whenever the Wolf Man made an appearance.

Bram Stocker's Dracula (1992)

Francis Ford Coppola's remake, unfortunately not Universal Studios, but Sony. Fantastic remake though, Plenty of gore, plenty of eroticism, plenty of cool effects. And as a bonus we get to see Monica Bellucci's boobies. Great cast. One of my favourites.

Young Indiana Jones: Masks of Evil

Ok, actually the second part of this one is relevant as it deals with Vlad the Impaler, Dracula's inspiration. Not a bad Young Indy chapter. Actually what made it into the plot of the Transylvania section was stuff that originally was planned for Last Crusade, the whole haunted castle plot. Bob Peck (Jurasssic Park's game warden) played the Vlad charater known as General Targo in this episode. I also watched the accompanying documentary Dracula: Fact and Fiction - worth a look if you get the chance.

I'm gonna watch The Mummy and its sequels next, however, I wanted to take a break and watch something different and watched...

Ghost Ship

This is my second time watching it. Not a bad premise, could've been better though. The best part is the opening sequence witht he demise of the crew and passengers - quite gross.

• Minion

halloween the michel myers and 123 am watching 456 right now
    I have a problem with dyslexia, but if you will please bear with me, I would love to participate in the conversations here at MiceChat. Thanks for your understanding! - Matthttp://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo[URL=http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDisneylandfan4ever?feature=mhumfeature=mhum#p/u"]http://www.youtube.com/user/matt4mickey123?feature=mhum#p/u[/U- Mattșoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șo[disneyland repctive of the wedsday show dca eathen brithday 282 by mickeyfan4ever1234, on Flickr

• Infinitized!

44. The Mummy (1932)
    45. The Mummy's Hand (1940)
    46. The Mummy's Tomb (1942)
    47. The Mummy's Curse (1944)
    48. The Mummy's Ghost (1944)

The Mummy (1932)

A few years ago I found an interesting connection between the original, the 1999 remake, and the area in British Columbia where I lived for the past 12 years. Back in 1910, a guy by the name of William Pratt emigrated from England to Kamloops, in the interior of BC. There he hooked up with a touring stage company and took on the name Boris Karloff. The movie industry was taking off and soon after he headed for Hollywood and became a star, not only getting the lead role in the original Mummy, but also his signature character for which he is known best in Frankenstein. Fast forward to present day and Stephen Sommers' remake of the original Mummy starring Brendan Fraser. Just a two hour drive south of Kamloops where Karloff got his start, is Kelowna where I lived for the past 12 years. What's the connection to Kelowna? Apparently Brendan Fraser's parents live there. I just thought that was a strange little coincidence between the original and the remake. What can I say, I really enjoy the original. The only dowside is it is very slow paced, but that's really my only gripe with this one.

The Mummy's Hand (1940)

This is an interesting departure from the first one. The Mummy switches from Imhotep to Kharis, with a fairly unknown actor in the role of Kharis. Simply put, a high priest brings Kharis back to life to protect the tomb of Princess Ananka, with the eventual goal of resurrecting her. Different from the first one, and the Sommers' remake, the mummy never materializes into human form like Karloff in the original or Arnold Vosloo. The Mummy stays in bandaged form throughout the movie. One big downside to this one is that we really don't get to see the Mummy in action until about the last 20 minutes.

The Mummy's Tomb (1942)
    The Mummy's Curse (1944)
    The Mummy's Ghost (1944)

The problem with these three is that they feel like a carbon copy of the 2nd one. They all pretty much have the same plot of The Mummy's Hand. The only cool thing is Lon Chaney Jr. takes over the role of Kharis the Mummy. These have great titles and Universal couldn've done so much more with them, but following pretty much the same story line over 4 movies? C'mon. Kinda feels like today's remake trend in Hollywood doesn't it? At least Stephen Sommers' tried some different things between his first and second, and then Universal tried something even more different with the third by setting it in China.

Next up a little later this evening is the 1959 Hammer Films version starring Count Dooku and Grand Moff Tarkin, and the Universal remakes.

• Infinitized!

Recent viewings in bold:
    44. The Mummy (1932)
    49. The Mummy (1959) (Hammer Studios)
    50. The Mummy (1999)

Count Dooku takes out Grand Moff Tarkin

The Mummy (1959)

This one by Hammer Studios is not bad. I enjoyed it. Starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. Only problem is, again it feels like a re-hash of Mummy 2,3,4 and 5. Again, Kharis is reawakened to avenge the desecration of Princess Ananka's tomb. I liked the sets and costumes.

The Mummy (1999)

Stephen Sommers' big action-packed popcorn flick. It's fun and rips off Indiana Jones in a whole lotta ways. The CGI looks a litle dated though. Can't believe it's already 12 years old. I do like that they went back to Imhotep, rather than using Kharis in this remake. Mmm, Rachel Weisz looked yummy in this one.

Two more Mummy movies to go, then Creature from the Black Lagoon gets some attention.

• Infinitized!

Recent viewings in bold:
    44. The Mummy (1932)
    49. The Mummy (1959) (Hammer Studios)
    50. The Mummy (1999)
    51. The Mummy Returns
    52. The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor

The Mummy Returns

One of the movies that came out in the summer before the planes hit the towers and the world went haywire. Can't believe this one is ten years old already. Imhotep is back to take on a really bad CGIed Dwayne Johnson. Still a fun popcorn flick, and Rachel Weisz is a yummy mummy in this one.

The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor

No Imotep. No Egypt. No Rachel Weisz. Even though this one changed to a different global location and Rachel Weisz got replaced with Maria Bello it is still a fun popcorn flick, even though the part with the Yetis was a bit much. The CGI of the mummies was definitely better. I did like the Emperor's sound effects, sounded like he was talking into a clay pot. Is there another Mummy movie on they way, set in Peru? Hey why not. I'm up for another Mummy movie.

Time to switch gears to The Creature From the Black Lagoon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast