Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Disney to Re-release Beauty and the Beast, Nemo, Monsters and Little Mermaid in 3D

Hot on the heels of the unexpected success of The Lion King 3D which is approaching an additional 100 million at the domestic box, the Walt Disney Studios has announced limited theatrical re-releases for four of its classic films for the first time in 3D.

Beauty and the Beast – January 13, 2012
    Disney•Pixar’s Finding Nemo – September 14, 2012
    Disney•Pixar’s Monsters, Inc. – January 18, 2013 (Monsters University, a prequel to the original film, arrives in theaters in Disney Digital 3D on June 21, 2013)
    The Little Mermaid – September 13, 2013

Great stories and great characters are timeless, and at Disney we’re fortunate to have a treasure trove of both,” said Alan Bergman, President, The Walt Disney Studios. “We’re thrilled to give audiences of all ages the chance to experience these beloved tales in an exciting new way with 3D – and in the case of younger generations, for the first time on the big screen.
    We can't help but wonder if this is more 3D than the market can handle. No doubt that we are excited to see these films on the big screen again! Just hoping that Disney isn't overdoing it just a bit with the huge number of 3D films.
    Last edited by Dustysage; 10-04-2011 at 11:36 AM.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Re: Disney to Re-release Beauty and the Beast, Nemo, Monsters and Little Mermaid in 3

If it encourages more Disney classics to be re-released, and either put the same effort they did into Lion King and/or offer 2D screenings, I welcome it.

• let's talk Disney, okay!

Re: Disney to Re-release Beauty and the Beast, Nemo, Monsters and Little Mermaid in 3

I am just glad to be able to see them on the big screen again, especially BatB! I welcome it also!

The Few, The Proud, The Fans Fan of Light Magic!

Blog Entries

i love that they're re-releasing disney films in the theatre again. as a kid, i used to love when disney movies came back, as home video wasn't invented yet. you either went to the theatre, or you didn't see the film. I love the theatre.

im getting a little burnt out on 3d movies right now though. i saw lion king in 3d and wished i had just seen it in 2d. the scenes of africa were great, but many of the films scenes are shot very tight, and it didnt really utilize the 3d all that much. in fact, the lion king was the first 3d movie to make my eyes hurt.

when 3d is used as a gimmick as it was in "meet the robinsons", story suffers. when a 2d is converted into 3d, i dont think the eyes and brain are meant to process the quick cut scenes and then the 3d suffers. when the 3d is suffering, it takes away my enjoyment of the film.

Pixar films, on the other hand have depth built in the computer graphics, and seems a more natural conversion. I loved the toy storys, cars 2 and up in 3d, so im pretty sure ill enjoy monsters inc. and nemo. in fact, i'm pretty sure ill see all of these releases in 3d, just to see them. what if its brilliant and i didn't go, then i would have missed my chance.

i cant get excited about home 3d though. i bought nightmare before christmas in 3d and watched it only once in 3d. i bought lion king today on blu ray, and did NOT buy it in 3d.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    We can't help but wonder if this is more 3D than the market can handle. No doubt that we are excited to see these films on the big screen again! Just hoping that Disney isn't overdoing it just a bit with the huge number of 3D films.
    As noted in the NEWS section over 90% of the film's current box office profits have come from 3D rather than the 2D option. They obviously have the research in hand that tells them these library titles would also be welcome with big screen limited releases. Great news for everyone that can't get to the limited runs at the El Capitan.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• far, far away from DL

I can't wait to see Beauty and the Beast on the big screen! And I will remember to bring a box of tissues with me. I always cry when I watch it.

• Infinitized!

And before you know it, they'll release Song of the South in 3D back into theaters...

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    And before you know it, they'll release Song of the South in 3D back into theaters...
    I'd be happy with them just releasing it on DVD. It's like they don't want anyone to know they made the film!

Back on topic. We've had a lot of great responses on the MiceChat FaceBook page. Here they are so far:

Jessica DeForest Holtey: I very very much enjoyed Lion King in 3D. I would pay to see them all!

Renee Marchetta: I think it's too much. Last couple times I've seen stuff in 3D, it wasn't very enjoyable. I think 3D it overrated. To me this is way too much. Just another way for Disney to siphone more money out of our pockets.

Dustysage: To tell the truth, I'd be happier with a great restoration and to see them on the big screen in 2D. I'm getting really tired of all the 3D films and how expensive it is to see them.

Becky Phelps: Too much 3D for me. I'll probably end up seeing them all (possibly in 2D, just so I can see them in theaters again), but over all, I'm sick of the 3D craze. It goes hand in hand with the CGI craze to me. I'd gladly go back to hand-animated 2D movies, thanks all the same.

David Yee: ‎3D Nemo should be awesome!!!

Dustysage: Nemo's probably the one which could benefit the most from 3D if it is done right.

Dinah Garcia: i'm generally not a fan of 3D (unless done right and it makes sense). i'm just stoked these movies are being re-released!!

Kate Bellone Coleman: yea nemo would be cool. i remember when they were showing the unfinished version of nemo i was lucky enough to see it (they did not tell us it was for disney until we were at the film) and bruce was way scarier than he is now. as for the rest of the films i do not think i would want to see them in 3d i dont even see it with the glasses but my kids will jump on that bandwagon so i will be stuck with them

Jimmy Nguyen: i'm just glad that they're being rereleased.. some theaters are showing them in original 2d form too.

Amy VandenBoogert: There are people who can't see 3D and others where 3D hurts their eyes.

Alyssa Watson: Too much 3D. There have been studies showing that 3D is actually harmful to your mind too. Mostly though, my problem is that my daughter and I have glasses, and 3D doesn't work well for us because of them. We always end up with headaches, since only part of our vision ends up being 3D.

Vanessa Stevens: No more 3D

Jason Allen Pass: How about some new movies instead? In 2D! The only movies I both seeing in 3D are special effects ladden ones like Transformer. Animation in 3D never really stands out to me.

Jason Allen: Ugh sorry about the bad grammar

Alison McSherry: how about aladdin?? that would be awesome in 3d
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• My prices are INSANE!

As mentioned above in Dusty's post, I don't see 3-D movies for the basic fact that I already wear glasses.
    So having to wear glasses on top of glasses is not very appealing, plus the 3-D technology really gives me a headache.

Damn kids and there newfangled technology!
    Now get off my lawn!
    Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

Stop by my website
    http://www.ericedunn.com/

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Wow...that was quick guess that means we know when Little Mermaid will be out on Blue Ray too.........and unless it comes out sooner for some reason....I think I'll have to wait a long time before seeing Aladdin on Blue Ray

• The Darkness to Light

It's news like this that make me want to crawl back into the closet as a Disney Fan. This is starting to get as bad as Lucas re-editing Star Wars!

Can't they, I don't know, release a new hand-drawn animated film that has been processed into 3D? Lion King was clearly a test for it, and you can see evidence that they were toying with the idea of a hand-drawn animated film with 3D effects in Princess and the Frog. Why not just do that instead of these releases that they are doing for their Blu-ray re-releases?

.... Wow, now I know how those "We don't want Avatar-land" people feel...
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^they are making more films......but why not also release classic's we have not been able to seen for 10-20 years on the Big Screen too?

Quote Originally Posted by ZeekSlider View Post
    It's news like this that make me want to crawl back into the closet as a Disney Fan. This is starting to get as bad as Lucas re-editing Star Wars!
    Well to be fair, they haven't altered the content of the original movie aside from the 3D, and they're gonna be playing 2D versions of the movies as well. With the Star Wars re-releases, we really don't have a choice; we're pretty much stuck with Lucas' bastardizations.

• The Darkness to Light

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    ^they are making more films......but why not also release classic's we have not been able to seen for 10-20 years on the Big Screen too?
    I'm not against that. I guess I'm more shell-shocked at the number of films they've announced all at once. Maybe if this was a slow roll where each film after B&tB 3D would get people more and more excited, but right now? It's just not sitting well with me.

The only way I'll take a step back now is if they say Nemo will be in IMAX 3D. There's a lot of things they could do with that scale that would be interesting.
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

• Who doesn't love NAPs?

I never understood the big deal about seeing something in a theater vs. seeing it on dvd etc. until I saw The Lion King in 3D. I should also say that I really DESPISE 3D. However, I think since Lion King wasn't originally made for 3D, and so was made without the "cheap 3D tricks" (can you say confetti voldemort?) that 3D movies are often made with today, the 3D actually made for a really cool viewing experience. Plus, since I was only 2 when the movie was first released, I don't remember seeing it on the big screen, so that was really awesome too. Now I'm just rambling. The point is, I loved it. And I'm looking forward to seeing all these others that will be coming out as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast