Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• WDW will always be home.

Re: Steve Jobs has Died

Iger's statement on Jobs' passing:

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A. Iger, President and CEO, The Walt Disney Company
    Steve Jobs was a great friend as well as a trusted advisor. His legacy will extend far beyond the products he created or the businesses he built. It will be the millions of people he inspired, the lives he changed, and the culture he defined. Steve was such an "original," with a thoroughly creative, imaginative mind that defined an era. Despite all he accomplished, it feels like he was just getting started. With his passing the world has lost a rare original, Disney has lost a member of our family, and I have lost a great friend. Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife Laurene and his children during this difficult time.
    Source: The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies - Corporate Press Releases - October 05, 2011
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Toad Hall

Disney Board Member and Founder of Apple, Steve Jobs dead at 56!

Unfortunately today a great mind and dedicated fan and board member of Disney, Steve Jobs died today

Read more here

Apple says founder, ex-CEO Steve Jobs has died - Business - US business - msnbc.com

May he rest in peace!
    <font size=4> </font>

• Senior Minion

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Re: Steve Jobs, Apple Founder, dies at 56.

R.I.P. Steve Jobs. He will be missed.

" I fight for the users"

• Sock Puppet

Steve Jobs will always be remembered for his whimsical spirit, and determination for success. He truly changed the world for the better, from founding Apple, to his works with Pixar Animation Studios. His workings at Apple helped create technology that without him, would never have been thought of, or existed. Steve Jobs will never be forgotten.

• Circle of Ancients

For all the 'kids' out there, who've never known a world without an iPod, or grew up with Toy Story, or used a Mouse on their computer, or could learn how to type at an early age: You owe it all, in one way or another, to Steve Jobs. So while you wonder why all the 'old folks' are sitting in awe of Steve Jobs, remember- Your life everyday would NOT be what it is without his innovations.

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    For all the 'kids' out there, who've never known a world without an iPod, or grew up with Toy Story, or used a Mouse on their computer, or could learn how to type at an early age: You owe it all, in one way or another, to Steve Jobs. So while you wonder why all the 'old folks' are sitting in awe of Steve Jobs, remember- Your life everyday would NOT be what it is without his innovations.
    I could not agree with you more than I do right now! Thank you!
    A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes....

• My Own Oasis

Name:  309700_10150352609174078_35245929077_7977904_499498647_n.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  40.6 KB

"Steve Jobs was an extraordinary visionary, our very dear friend and the guiding light of the Pixar family. He saw the potential of what Pixar could be before the rest of us, and beyond what anyone ever imagined. Steve took a chance on us and believed in our crazy dream of making computer animated films; the one thing he always said was to simply 'make it great.' He is why Pixar turned out the way we did and his strength, integrity and love of life has made us all better people. He will forever be a part of Pixar’s DNA. Our hearts go out to his wife Laurene and their children during this incredibly difficult time."

- John Lasseter, Chief Creative Officer & Ed Catmull, President, Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios

• Insomniac

I don't know what to say on this sad day other than Thank You Mr. Jobs. You have made the world a better place and your innovation and enthusiasm will be missed. Rest in piece. And in the words of Buzz Lightyear To infinity and beyond!
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

From Imagineer Bob Weis (currently working on the Shanghai Disneyland project):

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weis
    I did not really know him, but I feel a profound sense of loss. I met Steve three times. Once in a one on one in a white board session about how producers should work at Pixar. After we met, I walked down with him as he PERSONALLY set up some blue iMac s to reveal them for the first time to Pixar employees.
    The second time was with the Disney board reviewing the 1.3b$ renovations of DCA which he totally supported–but he hung back to ask me… ” shouldnt we do more?”
    The third time was when the Disney board approved the Shanghai project. He cautioned me to be careful about representing ” the future”. He also said “only Disney could do this”. That’s a mixed blessing. It means we are the only ones who could do it. It also means it’s so insane and impossible only we could do it.
    Either way, we should “have the courage to follow your heart and intuitions”. That’s the best we can do to truly honor his genius.
    I feel honored to have met him, and to have been a part of a generation transformed by his vision.
    Source: Steve jobs | Bob Weis

Not to derail this thread, but it makes me supremely happy and makes me appreciate Jobs even more to know that he thought that DCA deserved more than the refurb it's getting. A Disney board member not just in it for the short term profit
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• will-o-the-whip

Check out his Stanford commencement address from 2005 on YouTube if you haven't already. It is quite good.

Why has this thread topic been combined into the Entertainment Lounge? That seems inappropriate. The general MC lounge is a better, more solemn fit.

It's been reported that flags are flying at half mast in Disney parks today in honor of Steve Jobs.

Hopefully my previous posts in this thread have made it clear that I consider Steve's death not only a great loss to TWDC, but to the world. That said, I'm not sure I agree with this decision. For all Steve's influence (and ownership of the company), he doesn't have the direct ties to the parks or Disney legacy that someone like Roy E. did. More importantly, Disney parks are a place to "leave [the world of] today," not a place to be reminded of death.

A touching gesture, but IMHO, misguided.
    -Walt Disney

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

I don't have a problem with it. With his Pixar innovations, he'd done more for Disney's creative genius than any single person since Walt himself. Apple and Pixar made the world, including the World of Disney, a better place.
    Fight On! Beat the Red Wolves!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

• will-o-the-whip

Steve Jobs was a great American, perhaps the greatest of this generation. Even if you didn't like his products or personality, you have to admire his foresight, imagination, determination and intelligence. Those are ideals we can all aspire toward. Good call on Disney's part to lower all the flags.

From today's MiceAge homepage:
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Lutz
    Upon Steve Jobs passing, a possibly uninformed Iger announced Thursday that the Disney and American flags at all Disney properties be lowered to half-staff for the next week. For an organization like Disneyland that follows the official US Flag Code to the letter, this break from American flag etiquette didn't sit well with a lot of Cast Members, and by Thursday afternoon City Hall was logging some customer concerns for it as well. It should be noted when Roy E. Disney passed on in '09 Iger only had the Disney flags lowered, which would have also been the correct way to handle the passing of Jobs.
    I still maintain that the biggest issue - totally separate from Steve Jobs' contributions to Disney and to the world, and even the U.S. Flag code - is that the Disney parks are not a place to be reminded of death. U.S. flag code aside, it would've been much more subtle and not as in guests' face to merely put the Disney flags at half staff. In DL, MK, and Epcot, there's a U.S. flag front and center as soon as you walk in the park. So what's the first thing you saw yesterday? A reminder of someone's death. I don't think that really sets the right tone for a day at a Disney park.
    -Walt Disney

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12