Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist

Blog Entries

Post Bob Iger Stepping Down as Disney CEO in 2015

Disney has announced that Bob Iger will be stepping down as CEO in 2015. As part of a succession plan, he will take on the additional role of Chairman of the Board through June of 2016. A successor has not yet been named.

While not shocking news, it is remarkable to see a Disney CEO stepping down in a civilized way at the top of his game rather than being forced out in some sort of family led revolt.

The succession plan leaves plenty of time for the company to evaluate potential candidates. The political heat within the walls of the Walt Disney Company is likely to ratchet up considerably as potential replacements jockey for position within the company. It should be an interesting few years.

The short list of potential CEO candidates most likely holds current CFO and former head of Parks and Resort, Jay Rasulo; current head of Parks and Resorts and former CFO, Tom Staggs; and PIXAR heavyweight and Disney creative head, John Lasseter.

Here's a link to an ABC News article about the upcoming change at Disney.

How would you like to see the company restructured in preparation for this big shift in power, and whom would you ultimately like to see on top of the organization?
    Last edited by Dustysage; 10-07-2011 at 11:39 AM.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: Bob Iger Stepping Down as Disney CEO in 2015

Most of the hard core fans probably want John Lasseter to get the job. But, I'd imagine that the knives will be out for poor John by those who also want the job.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Disneyland fan!

Yeah, John Lassiter is my first pick. Though I might prefer someone with good CEO Skills who understands that Disney is a Creative Company first and a money maker second. Not to say Disney, or any company shouldn't make money, just not at the price of selling out the core values of that said company. So perhaps someone who would listen to John Lassiter and perhaps give him the title of CCO Chief Creative Officer of The Walt Disney Company.
    Gullywhumper is back on the Rivers of America!

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I'll go out on a limb and say that I'd like to see John Lasseter as CEO and Tom Staggs as COO. Rasulo should remain as CFO.

A creative Lasseter paired with the sharp business sense of Staggs would be a great team with the sort of creativity with checks and balances which made Walt and Roy and even Eisner and Wells so successful.

Disney has lots of talented people. There is no reason for the company to bring someone in from the outside. They've got the right people in-house, they just need to prepare them to take over.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Wordsmith

I have a sinking feeling that Jay Rasulo will get it.

• Bangarang!

Quote Originally Posted by MortTheMighty View Post
    I have a sinking feeling that Jay Rasulo will get it.
    Could be worse..... Meg Crofton.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

I think I agree with Dusty. They need someone like Lasseter who will see the creative issues there and be able to not make more in the future, but I am not sure is he is business savvy enough to see the other sign to the coin. Most people can only take one side or the other, so it's very difficult to get someone in this position who can make everyone happy.

Although, I think I could do it. ;D

• My Own Oasis

Lasseter is the best pick in terms of understanding what truly separates the Disney company from its competitors. Lasseter has fostered a wonderful and creative work environment at Pixar I could only imagine what he would do at Disney.

We have to remember that Walt himself wasn't CEO, (he was Chairman) his brother was so creative ideas don't necessarily come from the very top. The CEO must have a business head and love for Disney. I feel that Staggs admires the company and his time in charge of the Parks side of the business has fleshed out his persona away from just being business savvy. Lasseter enjoys the creative freedom so taking on such responsibility will definitely quash his creative side. Think of it like Jim Henson who wanted to sell his characters to Disney so that he could continue to create and not be bogged down by the business side of The Muppets.

Whoever takes over, Iger has definitely made a great impact with acquiring Marvel and Pixar as well as expansion in the emerging markets. I hope that the company expands more into the Interactive media market, producing more quality gaming titles. The only reason they consecutively post losses is due to the dabbling in that market. Disney need to go head first with Playdom being the start.

• hogwarts + disneyland = ♥

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    I'll go out on a limb and say that I'd like to see John Lasseter as CEO and Tom Staggs as COO. Rasulo should remain as CFO.

A creative Lasseter paired with the sharp business sense of Staggs would be a great team with the sort of creativity with checks and balances which made Walt and Roy and even Eisner and Wells so successful.

Disney has lots of talented people. There is no reason for the company to bring someone in from the outside. They've got the right people in-house, they just need to prepare them to take over.
    I completely agree. It's fun to image Disney with Lasseter's creativity at the wheel, but I definitely think there still needs to be that financial thinking and Staggs fits the bill. I think Disney can definitely keep on track and step it up with a Lasseter-Staggs team at the helm. I'm still on the fence with Lasseter as CEO though; I need to do a bit more research on him other than his creative genius side.

flower gleam & glow...

If Jay Rasulo gets the job, Disney is doomed. Personally I would like o see John Lassiter get the job and my second choice would be Tom Skaggs.

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    If Iger were to leave his CEO post today, my bet would be on Tom Staggs becoming CEO, and George Kalogredis taking over as head of Parks & Resorts. If that were the case, the company would be in fantastic hands. But this isn't today, it's 5 years from now. Anything could happen in 5 years.

One thing to remember, also, is that Iger will continue to be President and Chairman after a new CEO is named in 2016. He'll be 65 by then. He'll have done his duty for King and Country, and will have done it quite well.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

I'll go with the Lasseter/Catmull ticket with a third party to be added at a later date. However John and Ed are far too creative and brilliant to be shackled to boardrooms and stretched any farther than they already are so the gigs will probably lean towards traditionally corporate types who have climbed throughout the structure/culture.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

WHY the HECK are they giving all that power to IGER?!?!?! CEO and Chairman. That's the same stupid move the board of directors made when Wells died. They just willy-nilly handed all power over to Eisner! And we know the disaster THAT created! Can't believe the Disney Board is so stupid, that the making the EXACT same mistake AGAIN!!!!!!

This is the time to make sure the CEO is NOT screwing things up, i.e. taking short term gains, in favor long term gains. And it the Board of Directors who is responsible for overseeing the CEO, and that ain't gonna happen, when they make Iger Chairman of the Board, too ~ in essense having him oversee his own position as CEO. It's expecially egregious for the size of the company the Disney/ABC is! This is the WORST decision the Board has make since Eisner was its all powerful evil emperor!

And really a 3 to 4 year transition period?!?!?!?!? Good Grief. It really doesn't take that long to change out a CEO.

• Refugee from a island

I agree with a team of Lassetter and Staggs would be a great leadership team for Disney. AND... Do not forget who John's real mentor was... Steve Jobs. I wouldn't sell short John's business chops, he's studied under a master.

Something to thing about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast