John Lassetter discusses 'Cars 2' with the NY Times, with some interesting quotes

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: John Lassetter discusses 'Cars 2' with the NY Times, with some interesting quotes

I liked it enough.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: John Lassetter discusses 'Cars 2' with the NY Times, with some interesting quotes

Just another meh movie.....wont win anything....I'll just wait for Brave hopefully that is a real Pixar movie

I thought it was pretty good.

Blog Entries

This is a really interesting article. I watched cars 2 last night, and imho, its the worst pixar movie so far. by pointing to the numbers to suggest cars 2 was a hit, is at best misleading, and Its a sad day for pixar and disney when lassetter has to do interviews telling people that it didn't stink because disney had a hand in it.

Cars 2 was a success on the big screen because cars 1 was a sleeper hit. The original didn't perform well in the theatre, and it wasn't until people got it home, and their kids watched it over and over, when people realized its heart. The film was so carefully constructed that the film could have been a live action film, and played to an adult audience. it kind of was actually, a remake of Michael J fox's "Doc Hollywood."

But cars 2, didn't stink because it was a sequel, it stunk because it was an unnecessary sequel. Mater was no longer a believable character. in fact, cars 2 finds itself closer to a "mater's tall tale" then to a sequel to cars, and THAT'S why people suggest it was bad thanks to disney wanting them to churn out a sequel. If the sequel had played as believable as the original film, it would have been better received. A sequel could have dealt with a small town's growing pains, now that its "back on the map." But instead we find ourselves watching a movie that is half slapstick children's cartoon, and half james bond thriller, and the character executing both roles is mater, and were being asked to believe that its possible, and it just isn't.

so, "no, John." Cars 2 wasn't as good as the other pixar films. the story, while attempting to bash big oil in there somewhere, was not financially successful because people were seeing it more than once in the theatre. Its because you got us in the door with Cars being a great movie, and then we were given a choice as to see it in 2d or 3d. the 3d ticket price is almost double what the first cars ticket would have cost, and people wanted to see another great pixar film in 3d. call me a sucker too.