Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: Disney has 4 of the 18 Animated Features submitted for 2011 Oscar race

Quote Originally Posted by mousterpiece View Post
    IBut, I saw a previous post discount Arthur Christmas, which maybe isn't the best idea. A lot of the early reviews have been very positive. Now, of course, because the previews look a bit silly, they may have been pleasantly surprised. Still, that could be a surprise success.

That was me and you're right. I was going based on the first two trailers I saw which annoyed the frak out of me. But I am noticing the tremendous amount of positive glow about the film, which reminded me a lot of Prep & Landing btw.

My mistake though, was just going "Oh, it's just Sony Animation". Well... it's also Aardman Animation, which brought us some greats like Wallace & Gromit, Chicken Run, and... I also enjoyed Flushed Away quite a bit too.

So yah, I shouldn't discount it so soon but..... I don't think it has a high chance of winning either way.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    Just so no one visiting this thread continues to be mislead by your repeated assertion above, unless you can provide some actual verified proof that is, here is the easily Googled story as it were.

According to interviews with Burny Mattinson, Walt Disney Animation Studios' Senior Story Artist for 'Winnie The Pooh' the film was built up from storyboards depicting elements from the books that were turned into key plot developments to push the story forward rather working from a traditional script. That's why all the story credits on screen instead of screenwriters mentioned.

This apears to be a very organic, creative way of producing an animated or any feature film particularly at this point in time rather than a penny-pinching measure.
    What ever you want to call it.....I dont see any reason for two storys to be cut from the a film that was not even over an hour long....kids sit through Up and Toy Story and are just fine.

The film only cost 30 million bucks so if you dont call that a budget animation film I dont know what is...I was at D23 they talked about the others stories so it was not a rumor its a fact that they choose to CUT 20 min or more mins from the film.....and it was not for time

• Metro-Retro Historian

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Not a super strong year for animated films, even though there were a lot of them. Cars 2 was a stinker, as was Mars Needs Moms. Gnomeo was OK but not great. Winnie the Pooh is a solid film, but at just 69 minutes of run time is nearly a Animated Short rather than a feature length film.

However, I do think Pooh has a shot at winning. It would be a wonderful shot in the arm for this aging franchise.
    Not only that, but a big shot in the arm for traditional animation. Maybe a win would help convince Disney that am the problem with their animation division isn't the medium they work with, no matter how hard they try to convince themselves that it's something that simple.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

Dustysage, make no mistake: the trailers for Arthur Christmas make it look awful. But every review or positive tweet I've seen from film writers says that while those trailers are crap, the movie's not. And as you say, Aardman's usually quality (though Flushed Away is just OK to me).

That said, again, if Winnie the Pooh wins, I'll be incredibly happy/shocked.
    Check out the Mousterpiece Cinema podcast on iTunes, on Twitter, on Facebook, or on the show's blog!

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Not only that, but a big shot in the arm for traditional animation. Maybe a win would help convince Disney that am the problem with their animation division isn't the medium they work with, no matter how hard they try to convince themselves that it's something that simple.
    As much as I want a hand drawnfilm to win.......this one wont and this was the to do it since Pixar didn't even try.....also would have been smart for How to Train your Dragon to come out would have won for sure...but unless something changes I think Rango's about got this one in the bag

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mousterpiece View Post
    Dustysage, make no mistake: the trailers for Arthur Christmas make it look awful. But every review or positive tweet I've seen from film writers says that while those trailers are crap, the movie's not. And as you say, Aardman's usually quality (though Flushed Away is just OK to me).

That said, again, if Winnie the Pooh wins, I'll be incredibly happy/shocked.
    Are you talking to me or to Dustysage? lol

Just for fun, I went on to rotten tomatoes to look at the top 3 contenders that are CURRENTLY released.

Winnie the Pooh has a 91% critics rating.

Rango has an 88% critics rating.

Puss in Boots has an 82% critics rating.

Happy Feet 2 that just came out... is in the 40%s.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Winnie the Pooh has a 91% critics rating.

Rango has an 88% critics rating.

Puss in Boots has an 82% critics rating.
    If only any of these "critics" were Academy members.

Here's how opening day paying audiences felt about the films:

'Winnie The Pooh': A- CinemaScore, with those under 18 giving it an A+.
    http://micechat.com/forums/news/1462...-2011-a-4.html

'Rango': C+ CinemaScore, those under the age of 35 gave it a B.
    'Rango' Tops Weekend With $38 Million - The Hollywood Reporter

'Puss in Boots': A-CinemaScore
    Box Office Report: 'Puss in Boots' Wins Friday With $9.6 Mil Record Halloween Weekend Opening - The Hollywood Reporter
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Award Season Roundtable Series: Animation

Our guests Stephen J. Anderson (Winnie the Pooh), Jamie Beard (Tintin), John Lasseter (Cars 2), Chris Miller (Puss in Boots), Jennifer Yuh Nelson (Kung Fu Panda 2), Carlos Saldanha (Rio) and Gore Verbinski (Rango) sit down with news director Matt Belloni and senior editor, features Noela Hueso to talk about making the top animated movies of the year.

see the video at:

Award Season Roundtable Series: Animation Gallery - The Hollywood Reporter
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat Moderator

It was interesting but... way too short.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

True and true.

This was interesting:

THR: It sounds like you really want to make an R-rated animated film.

Verbinski: I want somebody to! The only limit in animation is your imagination. It would be nice to change the business model a little bit.
    Saldanha: Itís a filmmaker-driven thing. If you have a great idea, and if you find support for it, itís good. I would love to see an R-rated movie, but I donít know if we need to have it.
    Miller: It may be moving glacially, but I actually think the industry, in some ways, is moving toward that.
    THR's Animation Roundtable: 7 Top Filmmakers Debate R-Rated Toons and If 'Tintin' Should Be Eligible for Ani Oscar - The Hollywood Reporter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12