Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Disney has 4 of the 18 Animated Features submitted for 2011 Oscar race

18 Animated Features Submitted for
    2011 Oscar® Race

Beverly Hills, CA (November 4, 2011) – Eighteen features have been submitted for consideration in the Animated Feature Film category for the 84th Academy Awards®.

The 18 submitted features are:
    • "The Adventures of Tintin"
    • "Alois Nebel"
    • "Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked"
    • "Arthur Christmas"
    • "Cars 2"
    • "A Cat in Paris"
    • "Chico & Rita"
    • "Gnomeo & Juliet"
    • "Happy Feet Two"
    • "Hoodwinked Too! Hood vs. Evil"
    • "Kung Fu Panda 2"
    • "Mars Needs Moms"
    • "Puss in Boots"
    • "Rango"
    • "Rio"
    • "The Smurfs"
    • "Winnie the Pooh"
    • "Wrinkles"
    Several of the films listed have not yet had their required Los Angeles qualifying runs. Submitted features must fulfill the theatrical release requirements and meet all of the category's other qualifying rules before they can advance in the voting process. At least eight eligible animated features must be theatrically released in Los Angeles County within the calendar year for this category to be activated.

Films submitted in the Animated Feature Film category may also qualify for Academy Awards in other categories, including Best Picture, provided they meet the requirements for those categories.
    The 84th Academy Awards nominations will be announced live on Tuesday, January 24, 2012, at 5:30 a.m. PT in the Academy's Samuel Goldwyn Theater.

Academy Awards for outstanding film achievements of 2011 will be presented on Sunday, February 26, 2012, at the Kodak Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center®, and televised live by the ABC Television Network. The Oscar presentation also will be televised live in more than 200 countries worldwide.
    18 Animated Features Submitted for 2011 Oscar® Race | Press Release | The Academy

• Shablagoo!

Re: Disney has 4 of the 18 Animated Features submitted for 2011 Oscar race

The real question is will any of them be nominated. I think it is pretty easy to say "Mars Needs Moms" and "Gnomeo and Juliet" will not be nominated. Same with Cars 2. I only give that one a slightly better chance since it is Pixar. "Winnie the Pooh" I think has a decent shot at the nomination. The only question is did enough of the voters see it. I think this year could be a good year for a non-Disney film to get the win.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    "Winnie the Pooh" I think has a decent shot at the nomination. The only question is did enough of the voters see it.
    That's why the studio is doing it's annual return limited engagement at the El Capitan:

Disney said that members of select guilds will receive complimentary admission for up to four people if they present their membership cards at the box office. They include AMPAS, ACE, ADG, ASC, ASIFA, BAFTA, BFCA, CAS, CDG, DGA, HFPA, LAFCA, MPSE, PGA, SAG Nominating Committee and VES.
    'Cars 2,' 'Winnie the Pooh' to Be Rereleased at Hollywood's El Capitan Theatre - The Hollywood Reporter

PLus the studio will be following that with the traditional flow of DVDs, soundtracks, special LE artwork merchandise, receptions, comp downloads, etc., not unlike all of the other studios.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

With 18 submissions, how many will be nominated?

Regardless of the result, i think it's fair to eliminate the following:
    -Smurfs
    -Chipmunks
    -Mars Needs Moms
    -Gnomeo & Juliet
    -Hoodwinked Too
    -Arthur Christmas
    and dare I say it... Cars 2 (just bought it on blu-ray too hahaah)

I hear solid things about Tintin and my favorites of the year so far are:
    -Winnie the Pooh
    -Kung Fu Panda 2
    -Puss n Boots
    -Rango

I haven't seen the others.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    With 18 submissions, how many will be nominated?
    There could be as many as five nominees for best animated feature film at the 84th Academy Awards, since the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences reported Friday that 18 features have been submitted.

If all 18 ultimately qualify for consideration, that would mean that under current rules as many as five could be nominated for Oscar consideration.

The films still must be reviewed by members of the Academy’s short films and feature animation branch to make sure they fulfill various criteria: For example, animation must figure in 75 percent of a film’s running time, and the animation must employ a frame-by-frame technique, since the rules specify that “motion capture by itself is not an animation techinqiue."

At least eight of the movies also must be released theatrically in Los Angeles County before the end of the year before they will be fully qualified. Once they complete that run, the films will also be eligible in other categories beyond feature animation.
    Oscars 2012: 18 Movies to Vie for Animated Feature Film Award - Hollywood Reporter
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I really don't consider "Gnomeo and Juliet" and "Mars Needs Moms" Disney movies. But even just looking at both of Disney's REAL animated movies this year, both took a dive from the previous years Disney and Pixar film.

• Minion

I think Winnie the Pooh has a real chance at winning the Oscar. It had a great story, beautiful animation and art direction, and was extremely heartwarming.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Not a super strong year for animated films, even though there were a lot of them. Cars 2 was a stinker, as was Mars Needs Moms. Gnomeo was OK but not great. Winnie the Pooh is a solid film, but at just 69 minutes of run time is nearly a Animated Short rather than a feature length film.

However, I do think Pooh has a shot at winning. It would be a wonderful shot in the arm for this aging franchise.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Infinitized!

Winnie for the win!

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Pooh will get nominated but I think Rango will get it....I liked Pooh but it was WAY too short to be a "movie" it was more like 2 episodes....and I know they took out 2 storys so they dont have an excuse for the movie to be at least an hour and 20 mins long (without the short)

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Looking at that...yeah, weak showing for Disney. I think Rango will take it, but then, loved that movie completely. Doesn't have the Pixar "heart" precisely, but it was ridiculously fun and strange and textured with a strong story allowing room for just plain weirdness (in the best way).
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    it was WAY too short to be a "movie" it was more like 2 episodes....and I know they took out 2 storys so they dont have an excuse for the movie to be at least an hour and 20 mins long (without the short)
    The studio's first Pooh animated feature released in 1977 was a package film, 'The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh' was comprised of 3 theatrical shorts with a running time of 74 minutes.

My sense is that the shorter-than-usual running times of these Pooh films might have more to do with the supposed shorter attention spans of younger audience members. I intend to ask co-director Stephen Anderson about this next time I see him.

BTW - the AMPAS requires an Animated Short to be no more than 40 minutes in length to qualify for an Oscar in that category.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^thats a better length then what we got....like maybe an hour with credits....and the blue ray is like 25 bucks? Its a joke, I'm not saying that longer films are worth more but there was no reason to cut out the 2 storys like they did...seems to me it was more about saving $ over what the audiences want

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    there was no reason to cut out the 2 storys like they did...seems to me it was more about saving $ over what the audiences want
    Just so no one visiting this thread continues to be mislead by your repeated assertion above, unless you can provide some actual verified proof that is, here is the easily Googled story as it were.

According to interviews with Burny Mattinson, Walt Disney Animation Studios' Senior Story Artist for 'Winnie The Pooh' the film was built up from storyboards depicting elements from the books that were turned into key plot developments to push the story forward rather working from a traditional script. That's why all the story credits on screen instead of screenwriters mentioned.

This apears to be a very organic, creative way of producing an animated or any feature film particularly at this point in time rather than a penny-pinching measure.

I'd love for Winnie the Pooh to win; my guess is that it'll be Tintin or Rango, maybe. But, I saw a previous post discount Arthur Christmas, which maybe isn't the best idea. A lot of the early reviews have been very positive. Now, of course, because the previews look a bit silly, they may have been pleasantly surprised. Still, that could be a surprise success. But I do want Winnie to win it.
    Check out the Mousterpiece Cinema podcast on iTunes, on Twitter, on Facebook, or on the show's blog!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast