• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Pooh rights stay with Disney

Milne heir loses appeal to reclaim 'Pooh' rights

The 15-year-old battle over "Winnie-the-Pooh" royalties resurfaced Thursday as a federal appeals panel ruled that an heir of "Pooh" author A.A. Milne cannot reclaim the rights that were licensed decades ago to another party, Stephen Slesinger Inc. Clare Milne had hoped to use the 1998 Sony Bono Copyright Term Extension Act to recapture the rights but a district court, and now the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, have ruled that the law applied only to contract agreements executed before 1978. The Slesingers and the Walt Disney Co. renegotiated the contract in 1983. "Quite simply, there is no principle of logic, canon of statutory construction or consideration of fairness that supports Clare's reading of the (copyright act)," according to the appellate court. (Jesse Hiestand)
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Huh?

Re: Pooh rights stay with Disney

Oy... when will they leave this alone? This is getting rather tiring hearing about year after year... I'm sure they spent more than they could've earned by now.
    -Tim

• time to go

Question Re: Pooh rights stay with Disney

I feel the title of the thread is somewhat misleading.

It's my understanding that Milne wanted to wrest the rights from Slesinger so as to cut a deal directly with Disney, that would have been more lucrative for both Milne and the Mouse.

Disney would have been better off had Milne won his appeal.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

The title of this thread is WRONG...

It should read...

"Pooh rights stay with Slesinger"

Disney tried to align itself with a Granddaughter of Mr. Milne to take away the rights from the Slesinger family..

I posted this news last week in the News section here at MiceChat.

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15912

A federal appeals court on Thursday rejected an attempt by the grand-daughter of "Winnie the Pooh" author A.A. Milne and backed by the Walt Disney Co to strip rights to the popular children's books from the estate of long-time Pooh licensee Stephen Slesinger.....

Stephen Slesinger's daughter Pati, said on Thursday that Disney "has been trying desperately to get rid of the Slesingers and get out from under their contract." She said she was "very, very gratified" by the ruling.
    So basically, Disney losts in its attempt to remove the Slesingers...
    Last edited by Darkbeer; 12-12-2005 at 01:02 PM.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• time to go

Red Face Re: Pooh rights stay with Disney

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy
    Disney would have been better off had Milne won his appeal.
    Oops! Obviously I meant "her appeal." (Thanks for the post, DB.)

Looks like the Strattera is wearing off...

• All you need is LOVE

Thanks for info you have the best stuff

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum
    Oy... when will they leave this alone? This is getting rather tiring hearing about year after year... I'm sure they spent more than they could've earned by now.
    I think you are confusing this court case with the other Pooh lawsuit. The other one (where Slessinger is suing Disney for "alledgedly" not giving them $700m worth of Pooh royaltees) was found in favor of Disney last year (the actual case wasn't won, but rather Disney won on technical grounds). The Slessingers are currently appealing that case. This lawsuit was different and involved Milne regaining the Pooh rights. There was no money issue in this one (I believe).

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    This lawsuit was different and involved Milne regaining the Pooh rights. There was no money issue in this one (I believe).
    Nope. DB nailed it.

This Appellate Court tap dance was about Milne's desire to take the Pooh rights away from Slesinger, so she could cut them out of the picture completely, and deal directly with Disney. Then, whatever Slesinger was getting through royalties, would flow back to her and Disney.

Slesinger's cut eliminated = increased $$$ for Milne and increased $$$ for Disney.

This was a tag team effort on the part of Milne and Disney to beat down the Slesinger head lock on the Pooh Profit Machine.