View Poll Results: What did you think of "The Muppets"?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Rainbow Connections - It's a glorious three-hour finale!

36 65.45%
  • 4 Rainbow Connections - Good grief, it's a running gag

14 25.45%
  • 3 Rainbow Connections - "The flim is okie-dokie!"

3 5.45%
  • 2 Rainbow Connections - WALDORF: They aren’t half bad

2 3.64%
  • 1 Rainbow Connection - STATLER: Nope, they’re ALL bad!

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Seasick

Re: The Muppets - MiceChat Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ThanksRichard View Post
    Saw it last night and absolutely LOVED it! Anyone spot the hidden mickey during the finale? or were my eyes deceiving me?
    I noticed it too, as did at least one other person I was with.

It was only slightly more subtle than the Cars 2 advertisements.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Yah, I was about to say.. Cars 2 had more cameos than anyone else. I think my main complaint about this movie is that it's not "the muppets". It's "Jason Segel & Amy Adams & Walter" movie with a supporting role by The Muppets. And my other main complaint is that Kermit really didn't feel like Kermit until the show started. He's usually the hopeful helpful personality.

I wonder if this is what Frank Oz was against as well.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    I noticed it too, as did at least one other person I was with.

It was only slightly more subtle than the Cars 2 advertisements.
    Not just the Cars 2 product placement, anyone notice Winnie the Pooh on the one storefront window?

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    ...And my other main complaint is that Kermit really didn't feel like Kermit until the show started. He's usually the hopeful helpful personality.

I would agree with that to a degree. It was a little weird seeing Kermit sort of 'give up' on multiple occasions
    Spoiler
    (trying to re-recruit Gonzo and leaving Tex's office)
    . But maybe that's what was intended. Just like the Muppets had to find where they were in 'today's society', Kermit had to re-discover who he was as well...just my two cents
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    Not just the Cars 2 product placement, anyone notice Winnie the Pooh on the one storefront window?
    I noticed that too! And not sure if anyone noticed that the Muppet theatre was actually the El Capitan on the exterior and apparently they used the Disney soda fountain next door as "Mel's Diner".

Overall, I loved the movie. The surprise cameo
    Spoiler
    Jim Pasrons
    had nearly everyone at my showing gasp, then just bust out laughing. Totally unexpected, which made it awesome. And I also saw several people grabbing napkins to use as kleenex when they dud "Rainbow Connection".

Just for clarifying purposes....the hidden mickey was the mickey firework yes? I have a tendency to see them everywhere....so I was just curious if it was "real" or if i was just making it up, lol

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

As for the Cars 2 and Winnie the Pooh ads. Those movies were probably in release when they were filming on Hollywood Blvd. And I do think parts of the boulevard were closed off late at night for filming. In fact the R in the Forever 21 (or was it Sephora?) sign in the building behind the crowd on the last scene was burnt out, indicating that at least part of the movie was filmed on Hollywood Blvd. (I don't know why that bugged me but it did).

And Downtown Smalltown looked a lot like Main Street, didn't it? But my friend told me that was the Paramount Studio backlot.

Anyway as to the movie itself. I thought it was great. Fozzie's voice was inconsistent though, and his fart shoes were not quite the typical Muppet humor. I found myself laughing with hysterics during he first half but not so much in the second half. Although when the played the Muppet Show theme I was almost brought to tears. And when it looked like they were going to perform a rock version of Rainbow Connection I was a bit concerned but the end result turned out to be classic - an homage to the song that started it all.

In general I'd say it was a great movie with a few minor flaws. And also a movie I would have no problem seeing it again.

• Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    As for the Cars 2 and Winnie the Pooh ads. Those movies were probably in release when they were filming on Hollywood Blvd.
    The Winnie the Pooh in the storefront I can buy as coincidence, since they filmed at the El Capitan, but the Cars advertisements were very obviously there on purpose, in my opinion.

And Downtown Smalltown looked a lot like Main Street, didn't it? But my friend told me that was the Paramount Studio backlot.
    Yeah, one scene in particular looked exactly like Main Street. Took me a moment to realize it wasn't.

Fozzie's voice was inconsistent though, and his fart shoes were not quite the typical Muppet humor. I found myself laughing with hysterics during he first half but not so much in the second half. Although when the played the Muppet Show theme I was almost brought to tears.
    There is actually quite a bit of history between Fozzie and whoopie cushions (http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Whoopee_cushions), so I have no problem with that element. It also paid off brilliantly when they are leaving the theater. Even if one doesn't think whoopie cushions are funny, isn't that consistent with Fozzie Bear's sense of humour anyway?

Bringing back the Muppet Show theme on the big screen was fantastic. They even did well with Rainbow Connection, a tricky feat considering how revered the original is.

I hope they ask the filmmakers to do a replacement for Muppet Vision 3D. Just do a ten-minute version of the Muppet Show/Telethon, and there's your attraction. They could even pull a Star Tours 2 and film multiple brief segments that show randomly.

---------- Post added 11-27-2011 at 12:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Yah, I was about to say.. Cars 2 had more cameos than anyone else. I think my main complaint about this movie is that it's not "the muppets". It's "Jason Segel & Amy Adams & Walter" movie with a supporting role by The Muppets. And my other main complaint is that Kermit really didn't feel like Kermit until the show started. He's usually the hopeful helpful personality.

Frank Oz hasn't gotten into much specifics as to what he had a problem with. I also wonder what role they wanted him to play? Is it fair to say that his old characters now belong to Eric Jacobson? Would he have done one of his old characters, or a different role?

I think it's a valid criticism that the Muppets aren't the driving force behind the story, but once Kermit shows up, he does take on a lead role. Having thought about it, I'm fine with the story as is. Not every Muppet Movie or TV special has to be all about them. Even the original show was largely about each weeks very special guest star. I also loved Muppet Treasure Island, and the focus there was on the Jim Hawkins character.

• Future Cast Member

I saw it and loved it. I was afraid, based on marketing such as posters and commercials, that the humans and Walter would take over the movie, but I was surprised they had very minimal roles and the Muppets and villains definitely pushed them aside. My mom thought there was too much singing, and I typically hate musicals, but I love Disney musicals and the songs of this movie were great, they didn't even cross the line to getting cheesy, they were just fun, happy, and entertaining. The whole story was great, more captivating and interesting than I could've ever imagined. There weren't as many celebrities as I thought, and I didn't recognize some of them mentioned in reviews here, but I loved the Zach Galifianakis cameo. The acting of all characters was great, and the sets were great, too. I'm glad they chose to use minimal CGI and opted for classic animatronics instead. I really wish I could see this movie again, and I really hope new Muppet movies come out soon.

I hope MuppetVision gets better marketing and interest. I just hope they don't change the attraction, it's perfect as it is, and it's do underrated.

I think this movie shows that everyone loves The Muppets, and I hope people will see this movie and reignite their interests, because it's perfect for all ages, which is perfect for Disney. Unfortunately my theater was empty, but I hope its doing better in other theaters.

• Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by ChessurInWonderland View Post
    Unfortunately my theater was empty, but I hope its doing better in other theaters.
    The Muppets earned $29.5 million over the weekend, with $42 million collected so far in its' five days of release.

It's already doing far better than any of their last three big screen outings fared, and considering its' relatively low $40 million budget, The Muppets is definately a success and a hit.

I'm so thrilled to see these characters continued popularity, and I'm sure there'll be talk of a sequel before we know it.

I hope MuppetVision gets better marketing and interest. I just hope they don't change the attraction, it's perfect as it is, and it's do underrated.
    I love MuppetVision, but I feel it's really outdated. The storyline about 3D being this new and exciting technology has been outdated for quite some time now.

• Future Cast Member

I suppose that storyline is outdated, I loved it as a kid about ten years ago, though. And I really love the features that make it interesting, not the screen itself. The penguin orchestra, Swedish chef, blown up walls, Waldorf and Statler and other animatronics in the balconies, and characters walking through the audience is what makes it interesting, far better than other shows like Captain Eo, Star Tours, and even It's Tough to Be a Bug (which does have a great animatronic and features, but it's still not as immersive as MuppetVision). MuppetVision is more an experience than a show.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Loved this movie, but it wasn't perfect..still fantastic and a lot of fun. I didn't 'get' a fair amount of cameos, guess I don't watch modern tv enough? It was very sweet and chaotic both, which kind of sums up the Muppets. Very happy with it.

My favorite bits:

• How much screen time Uncle Deadly got, and his character arc. He was always one of my favorite background Muppets.
    • Zach Galafinkas as Hobo Joe.
    • Rainbow Connection's use both as the horrible Reno sales pitch, and at the end as the ensemble piece.
    • The Moopets...brilliantly awful, loved them.
    • The payoff of the iffy fart shoes gag....probably the most hilarious thing in the film while not taking away from the melancholy of the moment.
    • The photo of Jim Henson, front and center, when Walter looks inside Kermit's old office. Got a little choked up there.
    • The "Me Party" musical number, mostly the Amy Adams part, was pleasantly ridiculous.

Overall, a hell of a lot of fun and very nostalgic in the best of ways. I predict I'll rewatch this movie quite a lot in future.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Future Cast Member

Also I loved the Toy Story short! Was that Jane Lynch in it?

I really enjoyed the movie. Though it wasn't perfect (my issue with the Cars 2 ads were that they were clearly for the Blu-ray release, which means the filmmakers were reshooting the ending very recently, which is an odd thing to point out to the audience), I felt so happy walking out of the movie that I didn't care about any of its flaws.

Now that the movie's made money, I hope they bring back the Muppet Show. Do as many sequels as you like, but bring back that show. I'd watch every week.
    Check out the Mousterpiece Cinema podcast on iTunes, on Twitter, on Facebook, or on the show's blog!

• Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by mousterpiece View Post
    my issue with the Cars 2 ads were that they were clearly for the Blu-ray release, which means the filmmakers were reshooting the ending very recently, which is an odd thing to point out to the audience.
    I can't say for sure, but it certainly looked like those Cars ads were inserted into the movie after filming. It's unlikely they were reshooting the movie a month ago.

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    The payoff of the iffy fart shoes gag....probably the most hilarious thing in the film while not taking away from the melancholy of the moment.
    Loved that. Reminds me of the end of the old Mary Tyler Moore show, where they're all hugging, then shuffle over as a group to get the tissue. Adding humour to a scene like that is tough, but the Muppets did it beautifully.

Also I loved the Toy Story short! Was that Jane Lynch in it?
    Sure sounded like her. I'm glad to see Toy Story continue in short form. The main storyline of Toy Story may be played out in terms of features, but the possibilities for those characters in brief appearances is limitless. Also glad to see such shorts in front of more than just Pixar movies.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast