Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• All you need is LOVE

Re: King Kong Opens today!

Let us know how it is cant wait

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

I thought it was loooong- a little boring in the first hour or two. I don't think it is for kids at all- I was covering my eyes during several scenes. It is very intense.

The development of Ann and Kong is quite lovely and Naomi Watts really puts everything into her role, I think the film would have suffered if her performance had been weaker. IMO, some of the CGI was too obvious in some parts, but Kong looks wonderful, very real. It is easy to see why Ann becomes so attached.

I too felt afraid for the characters during the Empire State Building finale. However, I felt it was pretty unbelievable that Ann would be so steady on her feet at so high up. You would thing the winds would be unbearable and that she would get whipped around quite a bit.

Other than that, I found it enjoyable. Just leave the kids at home, its too long an intense for anyone under 8 or 9, I think.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

^especially in those heels!
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen
    I thought it was loooong- a little boring in the first hour or two. I don't think it is for kids at all- I was covering my eyes during several scenes. It is very intense.

The development of Ann and Kong is quite lovely and Naomi Watts really puts everything into her role, I think the film would have suffered if her performance had been weaker. IMO, some of the CGI was too obvious in some parts, but Kong looks wonderful, very real. It is easy to see why Ann becomes so attached.

I too felt afraid for the characters during the Empire State Building finale. However, I felt it was pretty unbelievable that Ann would be so steady on her feet at so high up. You would thing the winds would be unbearable and that she would get whipped around quite a bit.

Other than that, I found it enjoyable. Just leave the kids at home, its too long an intense for anyone under 8 or 9, I think.
    my 8 year old brother loved the movie, wont stop talking about it actually But yeah, many people aren't going to realise that it IS a three hour film, with a great story, not just blood, guts and gore.
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• Minion

Emotionally involving, touching, spectacular, thrilling, well acted, beautifully designed and the middle aged woman next to me was sobbing at the end of Act 2. By the end of Act 3 she was being comforted by her husband as she went through a box of Kleenex.

I thought it was a reverant remake that actually improved on the beloved original in many ways. AND...you must see it on the BIG SCREEN. It was designed for viewing in a theater and I don't care how big your wide screen plasma tv is along with your audio system -- it ain't gonna be the same experience at home. A perfect example of the importance of the moviegoing experience.

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by desertdweller
    I don't care how big your wide screen plasma tv is along with your audio system -- it ain't gonna be the same experience at home. A perfect example of the importance of the moviegoing experience.
    I agree completely
    What an idiot....

Saw it last night. Very good stuff. Suprised as well to see there weren't very many people there. And of the few people, 4 senior citizens walked out. I was semi outraged! How could u walk out on Peter Jackson?

• Gay Man

This is my "review" I posted on LoT.

While there were some serious things I disliked about the film, I was entertained throughout. The things that made me roll my eyes and return to the reality of the theater were:
    • The stupid snipits of "father/son" talks between Mr. Hayes and Jimmy.
    • The obvious CGI fakery throughout. The dinosaur stampeed, the Kong/row boat scene, Kong with tiny floppy Ann in his hand, etc. I hate it that CGI is not perfected yet and it takes me, the viewer, out of the film and into reality. Somehow, the Claymation Sinbad films kept coming to mind. It's just very distracting to me.
    • While Jack Black is irritating, he could've been worse. He's an actor I really hate to watch. He's always so over the top distracting in the same way Jim Carrey is. But, either I got used to him by the end or I was just distraced by Adrien Brody.
    I didn't feel terribly emotional at the end, which surprised me. The film had the potential to really toy with my emotions, but the only strong emotion I felt was one of eye-covering fear with both the bugs and the Kong/Rex scene - and even that ended up so over the top that I could watch.

Naomi Watts was really good. There was too many shots of her open-mouthed wonder for my taste but it's hard when all you have is facial expressions to convery your feelings.

Adrien Brody was HOT! OMG, I'd see the film again just for him and his character. The intellectual writer who ends up being the real hero was just too sexy for me. So, I was happy with the eye candy portion of the film.

I didn't notice the length at all, so I was obviously entertained. These BIG action films are not usually a must-see genre for me and, while I didn't love the film, it was fun and entertaining for the most part. I certainly didn't hate is - except I could do without the bugs.

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Not Afraid
    • The stupid snipits of "father/son" talks between Mr. Hayes and Jimmy.
    That was my main annoyance! It was so stupid and pointless!

The other thing I didnt like was win the camera would get all shaky and slow motion and go to like a skull or something, it really bothered me, and made those parts of the movie look cheap.

Those were really the only two things that REALLY bugged me.
    What an idiot....

• Rock Star Minion

Tui, do you have to ruin the ending for everyone in your sig line?

Might have to go to this one. I see about three movies a year. Mostly because of the cost times 4.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Victoria and I just got back from seeing it on a very nice large screen. We both liked the film a lot but agree that much of the CGI and modeling was mediocre to poor. Some of it actually reminded me of the 1933 original. King Kong, however, was excellent! Very lifelike and Andy Serkis is a genius. I thought that most of the film up until the scene on the island where Ann bonds with Kong was tedius and forgettable. That scene (where spunky Ann bonds with Kong) was pure cinematic gold! The film really gets on its feet at this point. I would sit through the entire film again just for that one scene. Battling oogy creepy stuff on the island was a little overdone and became "Oh... here we go again!" The action scenes were fun and exciting, though. The end on the Empire State Building was very well done and my acrophobia kicked in too! Ann and Kong's sunrise moment on the Empire State Building was beautiful and very touching.

All in all... a very fun film and well worth seeing. Neither of us noticed the length until we looked at a clock after leaving the theatre. I guess we were entertained! You should be also. The film has a lot of flaws, but none of them are fatal nor do they totally overwhelm a rollicking good time.

Vic sez: Whenever Kong is onscreen is when the film is at its best. I agree.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    Tui, do you have to ruin the ending for everyone in your sig line?
    Its the last line from the old movie, for all people know, jackson could have changed the ending. And really, its like going back to 1997 and having a sig that said "The Titanic Sinks" everyone knows
    What an idiot....

• Minion

GREAT MOVIE. Very freakin' intense, my jaw was dropped during the whole Dinosaur chase sequence...

The only things I disliked was the overall time to get the movie going. The first act really felt like it dragged, all I could think was "get to the freakin' island already!"

The other problem that would not leave my mind was how in the hell did they get Kong on the ship? I'm still trying to figure that out...

I can honestly saw this is the first film to really "gross me out".

Spoiler
    All the bug sequences really had me squirming. I had no idea I had such a problem with giant slimy crawling insects. The moment the giant centipede crawled out and tried to touch Ann with its feelers, I had the shivers. When all the guys feel into the dark pitlike area, I started having convulsions! Freakin' DISGUSTING!

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    GREAT MOVIE. Very freakin' intense, my jaw was dropped during the whole Dinosaur chase sequence...

The only things I disliked was the overall time to get the movie going. The first act really felt like it dragged, all I could think was "get to the freakin' island already!"

The other problem that would not leave my mind was how in the hell did they get Kong on the ship? I'm still trying to figure that out...

I can honestly saw this is the first film to really "gross me out".

Spoiler
    All the bug sequences really had me squirming. I had no idea I had such a problem with giant slimy crawling insects. The moment the giant centipede crawled out and tried to touch Ann with its feelers, I had the shivers. When all the guys feel into the dark pitlike area, I started having convulsions! Freakin' DISGUSTING!
    oh!

Spoiler
    Lumpy the cooks death, with those things sucking on his head ACK!! Freaky.
    What an idiot....

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tui
    oh!

Spoiler
    Lumpy the cooks death, with those things sucking on his head ACK!! Freaky.
    :Shudders:

Spoiler
    All the skull bashing/crushing/dislocating was hard to watch too! The T-rex getting its head pulled apart was rough!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast