• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Disney Channel to finally top Nickelodeon

A schoolyard brawl has broken out between kids TV powerhouse Nickelodeon and Nielsen, the company whose ratings determine advertising rates. Nick, long the leader in the space, has disputed what Nielsen says are double-digit ratings declines since September.
    At stake for Nickelodeon are millions of dollars from such popular shows as SpongeBob SquarePants and iCarly. Nick accounted for about 25 percent of Viacom's $1.39 billion in ad revenue in fourth-quarter 2010. Already the ratings shortfall has caused Nick to dole out so-called make-goods to advertisers. And the network is on track to surrender its ratings crown to rival Disney Channel for the year among the coveted demo of kids ages 6 to 11 for the first time since Disney Channel launched in 1983.
    Still, no one is disputing Disney Channel's ascendant ratings. The Nick nemesis is up 8 percent in total day and 11 percent in primetime viewers among kids 6 to 11, though Nick still will win the year in kids 2 to 11. In addition, Disney Channel, home of Kim Possible and Wizards of Waverly Place, is now the leading network among girls, 40 percent of whom cite it as the "first channel I go to," according to Disney research. "The days of Nickelodeon being the only kids network are over," says Paul DeBenedittis, senior vp programming strategy at Disney Channels Worldwide, citing its diverse roster of series. "It's not one hit show, it's eight shows."
    WHAT THE KIDS ARE WATCHING: According to Nielsen's latest data, Disney has edged Nick for the first time in decades, with the other kids networks farther back.

Disney Channel
    • Target Demo: 6-14
    • Top-Rated Show/Viewers: A.N.T. Farm (2.4 million)
    Nickelodeon
    • Target Demo: 2-11
    • Top-Rated Show/Viewers: SpongeBob, iCarly (2.3 million each)
    Nickelodeon vs. Nielsen: Who's to Blame for the Network's Plummeting Ratings? - The Hollywood Reporter

• Shablagoo!

Re: Disney Channel to finally top Nickelodeon

Disney channel is the home of "Kim Possible"? Not for year or so now. I dont think it is even on in the really early morning (like 3am) anymore. Still good for them. Unfortunately this proves that Disney made the right decisions in moving some of their old time programming off the network. Say what you will about the quality of the shows, but more people are watching now.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Disney Channel knows what they are doing - forget the fans here.

I think what Disney could do is appease those types of ans by putting on the content that the fans want (classic TV, etc). But the trashing of shows like Suite Life, HM, etc is just people who don't get the audience. The new shows like So Random, ANT Farm, Jesse, etc all seem to be doing well. That Sunny with a Chance show seemed like a bust, but Disney is not only pumping out TV shows, but more personalities and music. Disney channel + Disney Radio has that music and pop angle that Nick has missed out for the most part.

Besides Wizards of Waverly place, Nick gets very little airtime for my kids anymore.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Disney Channel knows what they are doing - forget the fans here.

I think what Disney could do is appease those types of ans by putting on the content that the fans want (classic TV, etc). But the trashing of shows like Suite Life, HM, etc is just people who don't get the audience. The new shows like So Random, ANT Farm, Jesse, etc all seem to be doing well. That Sunny with a Chance show seemed like a bust, but Disney is not only pumping out TV shows, but more personalities and music. Disney channel + Disney Radio has that music and pop angle that Nick has missed out for the most part.

Besides Wizards of Waverly place, Nick gets very little airtime for my kids anymore.
    Not sure what you meant to say about Nick and Wizards of Waverly Place. Wizards is on the Disney channel. Disney has had success with Wizards of Waverly Place, but their first time run is soon coming to and end. I wonder if Disney is considering a spin off of Wizards of Waverly Place. It is sad to see the show ending.

And yes, Disney has been wise to develop a few new sit coms series, over the past year, and some seem to be promising. Whereas Nick's most popular iCarly has been going on several years, and you wonder how much longer that show will continue. But Nick really doesn't appear to be producing many other new sit coms, so with fewer new shows, of course ratings will go down.

But, if you take a look at animated shows, Nick is still doing better. The only success animated show on Disney is Phineas and Ferb. It's sad that Disney isn't doing more in the way of animated series. (and no, I DONT want more shows like fish hooks)

---------- Post added 12-10-2011 at 10:11 PM ----------

oh, one other area where disney used to be much better: made for tv movies. They used to have several made for tv movies, (on a lower budget, but still an ok quality). Now they seldom have new movies. It's sad to see that slipping away.

• 10 Year Annual Passholder

In my opinion, the current Disney Channel line-up is pretty dang awful. I feel like Disney needs to create more shows that appeal to a broader audience (the only one they have now is Phineas and Ferb). Additionally, as Aladdin stated, Disney needs more animated shows.
    I would take iCarly over any sitcom on Disney Channel. Personally, I think Nick deserves the better ratings.

^Art by me!^
    Check out my
    Flickr page for a selection of my Disneyland Resort photography (and more)! {new photos 8.11.14}
    You can purchase a selection of my photos as well as clothing and stickers designed by me at my RedBubble page.
    Visit my
    Tumblr blog for another way to view and share my photos.
    Radiator Springs Racers ride count: 18

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Not sure what you meant to say about Nick and Wizards of Waverly Place. Wizards is on the Disney channel. Disney has had success with Wizards of Waverly Place, but their first time run is soon coming to and end. I wonder if Disney is considering a spin off of Wizards of Waverly Place. It is sad to see the show ending.
    Sorry, yes I got my wires crossed.. I blame the pain meds Yeah, looks like they are going to finish it in Jan. I doubt they'll keep Selema G. as she reaches that age that wants to go beyond Disney. Maybe she'll do some movies for them.

The other show I left out was Good Luck Charlies. Disney as just seemed to be far more aggresive with rolling out new shows in the last 2 years and their hit/miss ratio is pretty darn good.

I still think it's the formula of show + music acts that gives Disney an edge that Nick can't beat with shows alone in the long run.

Shows like Victorious look good.. but it's like 4 to 1 against nick right now.

As for animated vs sitcom... my kids show no affinity for animated or not. They watch what they like.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    It's sad that Disney isn't doing more in the way of animated series. (and no, I DONT want more shows like fish hooks)
    Two new animated series will debut this summer, one of which will be the Spaceheadz-esque:

"If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Sorry, yes I got my wires crossed.. I blame the pain meds Yeah, looks like they are going to finish it in Jan. I doubt they'll keep Selema G. as she reaches that age that wants to go beyond Disney. Maybe she'll do some movies for them.

The other show I left out was Good Luck Charlies. Disney as just seemed to be far more aggresive with rolling out new shows in the last 2 years and their hit/miss ratio is pretty darn good.

I still think it's the formula of show + music acts that gives Disney an edge that Nick can't beat with shows alone in the long run.

Shows like Victorious look good.. but it's like 4 to 1 against nick right now.

As for animated vs sitcom... my kids show no affinity for animated or not. They watch what they like.
    Yes, Good Luck Charlie (Disney) is pretty good, and Victorious is ok, too. Both of those shows are in either their 2nd or 3rd season already. The only thing about new shows is that it usually take 1 to 2 seasons before the shows writers and actors really can get a grasp on who the characters are, and how the relationships flow within the series, before the show flows well, and is viewable. Prior to the 1st year, all those new sit coms seem to fumble around a little, until they find their own "personality".

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    Two new animated series will debut this summer, one of which will be the Spaceheadz-esque:

Thanks for the info, ALIASd. Is there any more general info you have about either series? Are they CGI, traditional looking animation, or a combo like Jake/Neverland, What's the premise of the shows?

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

"Gravity Falls" is a comedy about twins Dipper and Mabel Pines who are thrown into the mysterious town of Gravity Falls, Oregon for the summer when their parents send them to stay with their Great Uncle Stan (aka “Grunkle Stan”).

In Gravity Falls, Stan is in charge of running The Mystery Shack, which is a tourist destination that overcharges unlucky visitors for a glimpse at the world’s most bizarre museum. But Dipper and Mabel soon realize that there is something strange going on and they must work together to find out what it is!
    A bit more on this new series can be found on the blog of Character Designer Joe Pitt:
    I Done Drawn It !

Also some cool info on his work for the animated feature, 'Wreck-It-Ralph'.

Title of the second series escapes me at this time but as soon as it returns I'll add it here.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006