• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

"Pixar: 20 years of Animation" exhibition

Dec. 15, 2005

MoMA exhibition celebrates 20 years of art from Pixar

NEW YORK -- For once, kids might be dragging their parents to the museum instead of the other way around. A new exhibition showcases some very recognizable images for anyone who has sat in a movie theater over the past decade -- Woody, Buzz Lightyear, Nemo's dad Marlin -- all creations of artists at Pixar Animation Studios. But anyone visiting the show at the Museum of Modern Art who thinks it's going to be all about digital monitors and computer-generated images, think again. "Pixar: 20 Years of Animation" is filled with paintings, drawings, sculptures -- all the traditional tools of animation. "We wanted to make sure that people understood that computer animation wasn't created by pushing a button," said Steven Higgins, the main curator of the show. "The preparation work is done with traditional pencil and paper just like animation has always been done." The show opened Wednesday at the museum and runs through Feb. 6. (AP)

from the MoMA site:
    Pixar: 20 Years of Animation
    December 14, 2005–February 6, 2006
    Film and Media Gallery, Titus 1 Lobby Gallery, Titus 2 Lobby Gallery, and throughout the first floor
    Purchase the exhibition catalogue

In keeping with the Museum’s long tradition of presenting animation, this is the most extensive gallery exhibition that MoMA has ever devoted to the genre. Featuring over 500 works of original art on loan for the first time from Pixar Animation Studios, the show includes paintings, concept art, sculptures, and an array of digital installations. These works reveal the intricate, hands-on processes behind Pixar’s computer-generated films—including Toy Story, A Bug’s Life, Toy Story 2, Monsters Inc., Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Cars, and numerous shorts. The exhibition also includes a complete retrospective of Pixar films. Demonstrating the symbiotic relationship between traditional and digital media pioneered by the studio over its twenty-year history, Pixar: 20 Years of Animation is a tribute to the artists whose work has reinvented the genre.
    Last edited by ALIASd; 12-14-2005 at 12:52 PM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Talking Pixar exhibit at MoMA

For anyone who lives in New York City, or anyone who will be visiting the city before February 6, there is a great exhibit of Pixar concept art currently at the Museum of Modern Art. One of my favorite exhibits ever, there was art from all of their feature films including cars, and some from their shorts. Their was an amazing zoetrope made from toy story figures and a new animation composed of their 2D artworks called artscape which was incredible. Anyone who has the chance should go see it, and friday nights are free from 4-8. John Lasseter gave a great presentation tonight about their animation, and other speakers will be coming in the future, check the website for details, moma.org, and get tickets a few days in advance if interested.

This is my first post, so hopefully I did everything correctly, and am not repeating someone else's thread. Enjoy the exhibit if you can, I know I'll be back.

• Senior Minion

Re: Pixar exhibit at MoMA

Welcome to Micechat! Actually someone already posted the news article. But no problem. So I will merge them, no worries and glad to have you here.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: "Pixar: 20 years of Animation" exhibition

New Cars Clip Shown at MoMA
    Source: Kottke.org
    January 3, 2006

Kottke.org reports that Pixar's John Lasseter showed a new clip from this summer's Cars at The Museum of Modern Art's Pixar: 20 Years of Animation. Here's a description:

Near the end of the talk he showed a 2-3 minute clip of Cars, prefacing it with an announcement that it had never before been shown outside of Pixar. Some of the CGI wasn't completely finished, but it was certainly enough to get the gist... the clip showed Lightning McQueen leaving a race track on the back of a flat-bed truck, bound for a big race in California. As the truck drives across the US, you see the criss-crossing expressways of the city stretch out into the long straight freeways of the American west, the roads literally cutting into the beautiful scenery. A cover of Tom Cochran's "Life is a Highway" plays as the truck drives. The world of the movie features only cars, no humans...the cars are driving themselves.

Walt Disney Pictures will distribute Cars, written and directed by Lasseter, on June 9.

Always loved that song!
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Re: "Pixar: 20 years of Animation" exhibition

I saw that advertised in Wired. Many I wish they would bring the exhibit out to So Cal!!! I'd love to see it!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.