Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Rumor Has It - we snuck OUT!

Went to a screening on Saturday night, and after deciding that we just could not lose any more of our lives watching this movie...so we snuck out! Now my date insists I owe him a car or something, what a mess! We couldn't even demand a refund because it was a complimentary screening - waaahhh!

BTW I asked one of the WB publicists if they went with this Jen -I'm-still- your-TV-Friend-Rachel photo on the one-sheet to try to lure her People Magazine crowd to it. She said that it was a very conscious effort to use her other image, as opposed to an in-character image, to try to promote the film.
    I told her that I still believe that many of the people who claim to love her just don't necessarily spend money to see her, thus the long list of unsuccessful films. Exception to the rule is of course the Meg Ryan formula - stand near the real draw for a particular film, and ride the huge box office winner - Tom Hanks (Sleepless In Seattle, You've Got Mail) or Jim Carrey (Bruce Almighty) or Ben Stiller (Along Came Polly).
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Re: Rumor Has It - we snuck OUT!

Jen's Latest Flick: Poor Early Reviews
    Monday Dec 19, 2005 8:00am EST
    By Stephen M. Silverman for
    CREDIT: DIMITRIOS KAMBOURIS / WIREIMAGE

People
    Jennifer Aniston, whose last movie Derailed was derailed by critics and largely ignored by audiences, could use big-screen hit. But according to trade industry reviews, her new one, Rumor Has It ..., opening Christmas Day, has bleak box-office prospects.

"A Wreck" reads the headline above the review in the Hollywood Reporter. Variety opens its critique by labeling the comedy-drama "as muddled in most respects as its title." Both papers predict poor ticket sales.

In the movie, directed by Rob Reiner (When Harry Met Sally) and based loosely on the events that occurred in the 1962 Charles Webb novel and 1967 Michael Nichols movie The Graduate, Aniston plays an obituary writer for The New York Times who goes home to Southern California for her sister's wedding and discovers for the first time that her granny, played by Shirley MacLaine, may have been the inspiration for the notorious "older woman" Mrs. Robinson, who seduced Benjamin Braddock, the then-recent college grad.

This time, he may be Beau Burroughs played by Kevin Costner, who may be the Aniston character's father but instead becomes her lover in a relationship that Variety finds unsettling.

The Reporter finds Aniston's character "undeveloped" and her comic instincts under-utilized, while Variety lauds her wardrobe but not the whining and mugging that the script has her doing. Only MacLaine as an outspoken boozer comes in for any praise though both papers also found the technical aspects of the movie to be superb.

Still, in its summation, Variety concludes: "The Rumor should pass quickly."
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Circle of Ancients

That's too bad. It actually looks like a cute movie.

• Man O Lantern

I thought from the getgo that the "he might be my dad, and now I'm attracted to him and will sleep with him" concept was a little too weird for me. I noticed they didn't play off that anymore...the closer it got to the movie. The first few times I heard about it a while ago, they were playing up the "he might be her dad" aspect, then they were clearly flirting. Ick. The marketing for this was ALL WRONG from the beginning.

But Mark Ruffalo though....he's a draw for me. Damn. I'll suffer through some really awful stuff to see him. Arrrgh. But not this. I have no plans to see this crap. Cracks me up that you left a free showing....sounds horrible!!

• So fetch

Ahhh, I wanted to see this movie. I was planning on dragging the spouse to it but now with bad reviews I don't have a chance of hell.

• Huh?

I suffered through a free screening of a REALLY bad movie once. Wrong Turn. I had no idea that was the review. I thought it was just the title of the movie. I want my money back!

I sat through hoping it might get better. But two hours into the movie, I was like, "Wait, the movie's only been on for 5 minutes! How much longer do we have to go?!"
    -Tim

• Circle of Ancients

I didn't realize there was the whole "He might be my dad but I still want to sleep with him" concept going on here.

That's just wrong.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell
    Cracks me up that you left a free showing....sounds horrible!!
    Mark is usually pretty hot, how cute was he doing the Thriller dance routine w/ Jennifer Garner in 13 Going On 30?!
    Oh we employed the variation on the I'm leaving to the ladies room, you wait a couple of minutes then flash the cellphone light and duck out to the lobby, I'll meet you by the commissary...worked like a charm. On the way to the car we wondered how many other folks were working up the nerve to try the same thing!
    The funniest part about this whole thing is that Rob Reiner was brought in to SAVE the movie after the studio replaced the original director - now they have no excuse!

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

I wanted to see this too I thought it looked cute, and hadn't heard the "he might be my dad" hook, um ew. I love Shirley McClaine, that part sounded perfect for her. Oh well

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

Red Face Re: Rumor Has It - we snuck OUT!

And the movie industry wonders why revenues are down. The whole intent of so many movies is to hook you and get you to buy a ticket. Entertainment be damned once you've done that. We would likely enjoy King Kong, being a couple of kids who never grew up, but 3 hours? Another one we'll wait until it's out on DVD. There's a lot to be said for being able to fast forward a marginal movie or just give up and head to the next room to go to bed. Not to mention, the theaters really frown on having a loving puppy on your lap. Darn, I'm such a homebody I even make myself cringe.
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

Ernest Thompson Seton

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

^ Well Shirley Maclaine always plays a variation on Aurora from Terms of Endearment, and why not I guess!

I'm now looking forward to seeing Casanova (Heath Ledger's other movie) tonight and also Woody Allen's Match Point and The White Countess w/ Ralph Fiennes and Natasha Richardson and all those Redgraves

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

Tell us what you think of Casanova- I am less than impressed with Touchstone's marketing of the film. I don't think it looks that good, but it is getting excellent reviews, which tells me they should have put more dollars into the marketing (too bad they don't get my opinions on the subject until the money is already spent!)

I saw a trailer this weekend for "Catch and Release" and I am actually looking forward to that one as well.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen
    Tell us what you think of Casanova- I am less than impressed with Touchstone's marketing of the film. I don't think it looks that good, but it is getting excellent reviews, which tells me they should have put more dollars into the marketing (too bad they don't get my opinions on the subject until the money is already spent!)

I saw a trailer this weekend for "Catch and Release" and I am actually looking forward to that one as well.
    THIS is a great example of where the real Miramax Films will be greatly missed. The former teams there would have had this one on the radar big time. I was fortunate enough to have done some work with them on The Cider House Rules, Chocolat and yes, The Shipping News, all from the great director Lasse Hallstrom. So Casanova should be a treat!

And yes, Catch and Release looks like a good '06 start for Jennifer. And Kevin Smith is in it - bonus!!!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I liked Jen on "Friends" but that's about as far as it goes in my liking.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

^You would seem to be in the majority. Maybe they'd rather watch her for free in syndication or on those handy gift DVDs, than spend $$$ at the theatres.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast