Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Reaver of Souls

This is the beginning of the end for Disney as we know it. Eisner 2.0 is in power, and we have a Board full of incompitent, cowardly pansies making the decisions. The plug has been pulled, and we'll all start circling the drain shortly...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries
    Both Iger and the board have got to know that this isn't going to be a popular choice. Therefore, we may actually see some positive steps made by Iger as he attempts to reassure his critics.
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Suspended

Madame Leota has informed me that some hybrid pictures of:

Diger
    and
    Igney

will soon be appearing on the Mice Chat pages!

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    Both Iger and the board have got to know that this isn't going to be a popular choice. Therefore, we may actually see some positive steps made by Iger as he attempts to reassure his critics.
    Good point! I'd be willing to bet that the first move made by Iger is well researched and catered to the shareholders (shouldn't it be anyways) AND the throngs of Disney loyalists. But how long will it last? I would only hope for a long time before he gets exausted...
    I can hope, can't I?

Oh, why don't we just sell all our Disney stock and go home? I'm not hoping for much in this corporation. Investing in something else might be a little bit more lucrative. So much for Mr. "Igner." How about "Mr. Toady's Wild Ride?"
    Last edited by DLDivorcee; 03-14-2005 at 04:38 AM.

This is such bad news... I feel it's just the same old stuff with new packaging (sort of like Disney Store merchandise).

Don't sell your stock though, you never know how much change can be intiated with even a little power.

• DL Fanatic

Sequoia National Park, CA (trying to get to Orange County)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    Thank you, another voice of reason.
    Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by Orcatime
    Now, now... I'm sure you don't mean to disparage opinions other than your own as somehow lacking in reason! (let's all play nice)
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious. Dan Rather

Quote Originally Posted by Orcatime
    Thank you Mr. Yee.

• Space Mountain Expert

I'm siding with DustySage on this one. I also am very sad at this news... HOWEVER, I'm going to hold out hope for a few months/years that Iger can in fact redeem what has been done to our beloved Company low these past years.
    Let's at least hold out some optimism that things might actually be okay.
    Then, in a few years if Iger proves that he's a clone of Eisner, we'll have some discussions on how to, as they say in 'Beauty and the Beast',
    ....kill the beast!
    LOL... But honestly, let's just hope for now that a change is indeed on the horizon.
    I only hope we never lose sight of one thing... that it was all started by a mouse!

the world of disneyking

• Disney Dad & Disney Nuts

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic
    Agh! I can only hope that he will be somewhat better than Eisner. I guess that's what everyone can really hope for.
    They hail from the same camps, pretty much.
    Perhaps Iger will do the same thing. For the first several years, he could be full of new ideas. Let's hope the economic atmosphere stays nice, and maybe we'll see a Disney turnaround!
    Any thoughts?
    I think by the way the stock is moving this mornign that instituitional investors are hanging on to there stock if not buying more.

Iger is a TV Man - Eisner was a movie chief. I beleive we will sees continued improvements in TV offerings under Iger and about the same amount of disdain concering the Gem of the Disney Fleet - The Parks!

As long as Matt is left to manage Disneyland without much Meddling from Iger - I can look positively at this move. Although I fear the second coming of Ron Miller at Disney :confused:

WDI

• o Tom o

As a film major, I am excited to see a television and film related person step up to the plate as CEO. I am excited about the possibility of a new direction hopefully towards quality entertainment taking a cue from the recent success of the long dormint live action pictures as memorably associated with Disney.

I undertstand and appreciate that Disney's traditional animation has taken a hit and I hope Iger will place emphasis on restoring that glory. I am also in favor of a stronger ABC and we are already certainly on that path with new power punchs like "Desperate Housewives" "Alias" "Lost" and "Extreme Makeover." I truly hope we will see the Wonderful World of Disney makes it way back to the forefront. I am actually surprised Disney isn't running a campaign linked with a new Wonderful World of Disney, promoting the small changes and celebrations we can expect for the 50th.

If Iger can stand alone from Eisner by making smarter decessions, I think he will do fine.

• 6 kids before I'm 30!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WDI
    ...Iger is a TV Man - Eisner was a movie chief. I beleive we will sees continued improvements in TV offerings under Iger and about the same amount of disdain concering the Gem of the Disney Fleet - The Parks!

As long as Matt is left to manage Disneyland without much Meddling from Iger - I can look positively at this move. Although I fear the second coming of Ron Miller at Disney :confused:

WDI
    I pretty much agree and with most people on this thread. As unprofessional it was for the board to hire within Iger needs to be given a chance to prove himself to us the shareholders. And if CM Matt is still in charge of DL im okely dokely.. Maybe Walt himself will posses Iger and make good with all of us.. :o
    We rock the party that rocks the party!
    We are truly a new generation of the Brady Bunch!

• Banned User

I'm mad... but not at Eisner or the Disney Board. I'm un-impressed with Monorail Man's policy on duplicate threads... I post about this 3 hrs before Al writes his article, and my thread is the one that gets locked. Sure it's Al's site, but I think a policy needs to be put in place to deal with this.

My thread was here:
    http://www.micechat.com/showthread.php?t=1640

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries
    Here are a couple of articles that are interesting...

The first is a look at the "theme park" effects of the change, from Amusement Business...

http://www.amusementbusiness.com/amu..._id=1000838082

The news that Robert Iger will succeed Michael Eisner in September as CEO of the Walt Disney Co. isn't sending shockwaves through the theme park world. Several industry experts contacted by AB expect business as usual at Walt Disney Parks & Resorts, a division headed up by its president, Jay Rasulo.

Speigel pointed to issues such as Miramax and Pixar on the film side and the ongoing effort to boost ratings at the ABC television network, from whose ranks Iger emerged, as being higher priorities than micro-managing a successful theme park division.

That's not to say that theme parks aren't a key piece of the Disney puzzle, however.

The parks are such an important part of the operating income to the company, but it has not been an area that (Iger) has been focused on, said Ray Braun, senior vp at Economics Research Associates in Los Angeles. I can't imagine there would be a sea change.
    And then Jim Hill placed an article up on his site this afternoon asking "Why the Rush to Judgement"...

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/artic...le.php?ID=1343

Now Disney Company officials are struggling to put as positive a spin as possible on the way that this whole thing all played out. But the fact of the matter is ... A Saturday night meeting to deal with corporate succession issues? One that was called so hurriedly that it actually had to be held over the phone? That's highly unusual, don't you think?

"But if that was really the case, then why the rush job?," you query. "Why was it necessary for Disney's board of directors to hurriedly convene on a Saturday night and announce the company's CEO three months ahead of the previously announced schedule?" These are all excellent questions, folks. Ones that the Walt Disney Company genuinely hopes that mainstream reporters won't be asking anytime soon.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast