Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    I'm mad... but not at Eisner or the Disney Board. I'm un-impressed with Monorail Man's policy on duplicate threads... I post about this 3 hrs before Al writes his article, and my thread is the one that gets locked. Sure it's Al's site, but I think a policy needs to be put in place to deal with this.

My thread was here:
    http://www.micechat.com/showthread.php?t=1640
    I think this had to do with the creation of a new forum entirely to handle Disney Business matters. In the absence of such a forum beforehand, the Iger news caught us off guard and numerous threads popped up. We had to do something to prevent chaos!
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Yes, that's right Kevin. The new forum was created so there would not be a overwheming amount of threads in other forums. By limiting the comments to this thread, and the thread in the business forum, it will be easier to comment on other's opinions, etc.
    -Monorail Man

• Santa Barbara, CA

Heaven forbid chaos breaks out on a bulletin board.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

•   
    • Minion

Well, I guess I want to weigh in on this... I have been off line the last two days traveling on business. And I just got a truck load of email regarding Iger...

Well, I am surprised that this new broke just after Roy & Stan's letter to the board of directors... VERY suspicious... The media are not talking about Iger's part in a cover up in the purchase of Fox Family... the only thing that was validated was that no one else wanted to be considered knowing that Eisner would be looking over their shoulder...

But my thoughts are this... It is a BIG step that Eisner is even leaving the CEO post... That amazes me... I will give him some credit here, he is leaving on his terms... Did the board do everything it could do to look for a replacement? I really don't know, because Eisner is sitting there dictating the terms of his departure...

I am willing to give Iger a shot; but, in order for him to even have a chance, Eisner must leave the board of directors. I do not think any replacement will be effective in the post so long as Eisner is on the board. And if Iger is to be the solution and miracle worker for everyone involved, he will need to have Eisner off the board.

And more over Iger should be placed on short leash by the stockholders... I am not saying that I don't trust him, I am saying I don't trust Eisner.
    Check out my other blog:

• Old Timer

I am beginning to feel that the real reason Eisner is "leaving" is Steve Jobs comment that Pixar will resume talks if Eisner leaves.

There is something afoot in the animation departments...Disney has nothing good lined up for the future and possibly Pixar has some new film they have in store to release AFTER the Disney contract date...to someone else...???

Its just a feeling I have as Pixar has the moneymaking technology.

And Disney doesn't.
    Micechat member # 98

TARDIS
    "Time And Relative Dimension In Space."

Why Bob Iger Should not be the next CEO of Disney
    -or-
    He Already had a Chance to Prove Himself and Blew It

1. No knowledge of Disney Theme Parks – He has been the President of the Company for 5 years and has taken no interest in the parks. He does not involve himself in the creative aspects at WDI at all. He was even responsible for heading up political discussions with China for Hong Kong Disneyland and still never concerned himself with what attractions (either number or quality) that the park offered. Also, during the press event at the opening of DCA he didn’t know the names of any of the attractions. I suppose it's nice that he wont be a micromanager, but I'm afraid no interest equals no funding.

2. No Love for Animation – He was the President of the Company during the closure of the Studios in Florida and Paris and massive layoffs in Burbank. The creators of Beauty and the Beast, Lion King and Tarzan were loosing their jobs, and Mr. Iger did not get involved. Despite a raging internal debate. Eisner destroyed Animation and Iger didn’t say a word. This either means that the destruction of Animation meant nothing to him or he didn’t have the guts to stand up to Eisner. Either way, he’s not a good choice.

3. No Passion for Disney – Some people say Iger is a good choice because he has knowledge of the Company, but the fact is he only knows ABC and International affairs. He didn’t come to Disney because he loved the legacy of Walt Disney. He came because the company he worked for was taken over by Disney. There are very successful executives within Disney who have that passion – Richard Cook, Matt Ouimet and Al Weiss. There are former Disney Executives who have the passion – Steve Burke and Judson Green. Iger is not the best choice.

4. Takes credit for other peoples’ work. – Although it is well known he was not in favor of making "LOST" he frequently takes credit for its success.

5. History of Bad Choices – He decided to run "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" four nights a week. And he passed on CSI.

6. No Integrity – He lied to the board about the projected earnings of the FOX Family Channel.

Honestly, until the FOX Family Channel problems came to light, I didn’t think he was such a bad guy. I didn’t think he was the best choice to run Disney, but at least he had more integrity than Eisner. I think that was his fatal mistake. He can no longer be trusted and does not deserve the backing of the shareholders.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries
    A very interesting piece of reporting was in today's New York Post...

http://www.nypost.com/business/42495.htm

Disney's board of directors agreed to name Bob Iger as the company's next CEO only after a contentious board meeting in which current chief Michael Eisner agreed not to seek a continuing role at the media giant, The Post has learned.
    Four of Disney's 12 directors were initially hesitant to name Iger as Disney's next CEO, according to a source close to the matter.

The board finally agreed to name Iger — who was Eisner's preferred choice — to the post after Eisner agreed to not seek to remain on the board of directors after his current term expires in 2006.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

•   
    • Minion

The board finally agreed to name Iger — who was Eisner's preferred choice — to the post after Eisner agreed to not seek to remain on the board of directors after his current term expires in 2006.
    Yeah, that is interesting... I am not holding my breath untill I see the Proxy...

I still think Iger may be good for a few years and then he will likely be replaced sooner rather than later...
    Check out my other blog:

Have Faith...

Why are there so many people throwing up there hands and giving up on the Disney Corporation? Yes there have been recent problems. Yes, Iger has yet to yield good reports. But, as a stock holder, I have to have faith in new management. I cannot judge Iger until he is in full power.

I don't think he can do it on his own. When Eisner came into the position, he had Frank Wells leadership and momentum to guide him down a well beaten path. But, Iger doesn't even have a map right now. So, even though I don't have full confidence in Iger at this point, I am eager to see what he can do with this broken ship, and get it back afloat.

You won't see me selling my stake in the company just yet. I agree, he does not have a clue in what makes good animation, the CORE of Disney, but, I have a feeling there will be a change. We have yet to see what Disney Animation has done in their first "All Disney" digital animation project, "Chicken Little". That will gauge what Iger will need to tweak as far as the animation department is concerned! And, we may even see a resurrection of the Pixar/Disney partnership. None of us know what is happening in Burbank today, so there is no telling where this thing is going to go. As for me, I am excited and eager for change, and can’t wait to see what happens. Good……. Or bad!
    "Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by shurley
    Why are there so many people throwing up there hands and giving up on the Disney Corporation? Yes there have been recent problems. Yes, Iger has yet to yield good reports. But, as a stock holder, I have to have faith in new management. I cannot judge Iger until he is in full power.

I don't think he can do it on his own. When Eisner came into the position, he had Frank Wells leadership and momentum to guide him down a well beaten path. But, Iger doesn't even have a map right now. So, even though I don't have full confidence in Iger at this point, I am eager to see what he can do with this broken ship, and get it back afloat.

You won't see me selling my stake in the company just yet. I agree, he does not have a clue in what makes good animation, the CORE of Disney, but, I have a feeling there will be a change. We have yet to see what Disney Animation has done in their first "All Disney" digital animation project, "Chicken Little". That will gauge what Iger will need to tweak as far as the animation department is concerned! And, we may even see a resurrection of the Pixar/Disney partnership. None of us know what is happening in Burbank today, so there is no telling where this thing is going to go. As for me, I am excited and eager for change, and can’t wait to see what happens. Good……. Or bad!
    I disagree with you... Eisner provided Iger with a map... In fact, Eisner said in an interview that he set into place decisions for the longer term that provide a safety mechanism for keeping the financial costs of films low...

I am only assuming he was alluding to Narnia, Hitchhikers Guide, Pirates and other film based projects... As well as trickling out disney classics on DVD... As well as synergistic practices...

What we don't know is if Iger will save a further deterioration of losing more creative braintrust... However, Iger is a move toward a direction of Media Distribution and not Production... And I find that disheartening... What is going on with the production of Toy Story 3 is worrysome...

I am willing to give Iger some slack... but he needs to remain on a "short leash." Because we know the types of decisions he has made... In other words, there is NO honeymoon with Iger...
    Check out my other blog:

It's a shame we have to wait another year to place our proxy votes as shareholders. "Igner had better cut the mustard or next year's stockholders' meeting will be really interesting. This all sounds like subterfuge to me!

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries
    http://www.ocregister.com/ocr/2005/0...cle_442760.php

Meanwhile, Christianna Wood, California Public Employees' Retirement System senior investment officer, called the decision to hire Iger as its next chief executive officer "disappointing,"

"They had no external candidates, so we are left to wonder how good of a CEO they have," Wood said in Sacramento. "There is some concern that this is a candidate who was handpicked by Michael Eisner."

I have to say that I was dismayed when I read how this whole thing played out over the weekend. I did find it odd that this was done so quickly (and quietly) after receiving the letter from Roy and Stanley. I am also holding judgement at this time. I figure this guy deserves a chance to prove us all wrong (which is what he has to do). He deserves a chance to show the world that he is not "mini-Eisner" and that he is going to do what is in the best interest of the Disney Company.

I only hope that he shows that he is his own man and shows it quickly, or it will be his head that the Queen of Hearts goes after...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr D
    There is something afoot in the animation departments...Disney has nothing good lined up for the future and possibly Pixar has some new film they have in store to release AFTER the Disney contract date...to someone else...???

Its just a feeling I have as Pixar has the moneymaking technology.

And Disney doesn't.
    This is my first post here, but I thought this was an apt time to chime in. So take it easy on me.

I work for Walt Disney Feature Animation. Now I know what I'm about to say may carry some bias, but I think saying that Disney has nothing good lined up for the future is far from the truth. Of the announced projects we're working on, there is some great stuff being done here.

- A Day With Wilbur Robinson - There are a lot of people who have been pegging this movie as the next Disney hit, bringing DFA back from the mediocrrty we've wallowed in the last several years.

- American Dog - This is my personal favorite of the bunch. Stylistically, its a pretty large departure from the look of any of our recent stuff, and the story is absoultely outstanding.

- Rapunzel: Unbraided - This should be Disney doing what Disney does best, and has the potential to be the best of the bunch. First, we're going back to tell the story of the last fairy-tale princess we haven't dealt with yet. Second, we're going back to the musical format, something last seen during the first 45 minutes of Mulan. Finally, Glen Keane is directing, and if you don't know who Glen Keane is, go look him up.

Anyway, at this point I'll keep my Iger thoughts to myself, but don't write us off off just yet, even if we can't mend fences with Pixar.

- Fin

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries
    ^Thanks for the post and the info.... GOOD LUCK in the future......

As for my opinion of picking Iger....

Just ask my girlfriend for my reaction when I found out.....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast