Thread: Deal or No Deal

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Cool Deal or No Deal

Anyone else watching DoND?

It's not that bad of a UK port. Howie is doing quite well, and it's pulling in the ratings. However, the chimp in the editing bay is not helping, night 2 had a shot of the contestant holding the case, then cut to a shot of Howie holding the case. And the ADR (Automatic Dialog Replacement), is getting outragous.

However, it's a fun show, and it's quite exciting. Glad to see some big deals.
    -Monorail Man

• twinkletwinkle I'm a star

Re: Deal or No Deal

Saw this show for the first time last night. I really liked it and didn't think I would. You're right though about the ADR. I noticed it a couple of times last night. Also, I like Howie, but when did he go from wearing a latex glove on his head and acting like a human chicken-man to being a serious game show host? Hmmm.... Somebody may be hungry there.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

That was Howie Mandell?!?!

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Actually, I would like to see a Deal or No Deal as a 1/2 hour syndicated show, the top dollar amounts might be less, but it should be done at a faster pace.

The Mexican version, Vas or No Vas, has a weekly primetime episode and then 5 daily shows.

In Vas or No Vas, they start with two groups of 26 folks. The two groups compete to answer some basic trivia questions on a touchpad (like the audience polling in Millionaire). The group with the most correct answers advances to the second round. Also, they occasionally offer prizes, such as for question 3, if at least 25 folks get the right answer (out of 26), then all 26 get a paid vacation for 2. This is also the audience for the show, as each chosen person (usually tied to using your debit card, or registering at the local participating bank) brings one person as their support person (the person who sits on the bench and advises the finalist).

In the second round, they ask 2 questions, the persons who get the right answer (multiple choice) in the fastest time advance to the third round.

The two winners face off against each other at a podium similar to Family Feud. The Host ask a question, the first person to buzz in gets to answer (free form). The first person to get 2 correct has a chance to play the main game... But first, a special "Temptation" suitcase is brought out, in which one of the models comes over, and opens the case, which almost always contains a new car. The winning contestant either continues to the Main Game, or takes the car, in which case the other finalist gets to play the main game. I have never seen the contestant take the Temptation suitcase.

In the main game, the 26 suitcases contain between 1 peso and 5 million peso, making their grand prize about $500,000 dollars.

The one thing they add is the fact the 26 folks from the winning group sit in podiums with numbers. The last suitcase before the bank offer, the contestant sitting at the podium matching the suitcase picked gets a chance to guess what is in the case (what peso amount), if they guess correctly, then they win a prize, usually it starts with a car for the first offer, and as less suitcases remain, the prizes drops down, $5,000, then $3,000. Once it gets to just choosing one suitcase, then the guessing game is not offered.

The models also do more, as they come up and dance at the beginning and end of the show.

Instead of the banker behind the glass, a different model, dressed "sexy" but in banker attire (plaid vest and black slacks) comes out with a suitcase, which the host dramatically says "open the offer, now", and she opens the case, which actually has a sign with $$$$$ on it, and then monitors around the stage show the actual offer, which the host says out loud.

I happened to see the show in which one contestant was left with the top two prizes, 5 million peso and 2.5 million pesos. She was offered 3.5 million to sell the suitcase, she said "No Vas", and then they opened the suitcase...... And Yes, she had the 5 million peso case!!!!

They do the entire show in about 75 minutes, so the pace is faster, even with plugs for debit cards and cell phones placed in the actual show.

You can find how the game is played in other countries here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deal_or_No_Deal

Also, someone mentioned elsewhere, in some countries, if you are down to two cases, then you have the option of switching cases, in case you "feel" the other case is the large amount. This option does not change the odds.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

I like the show, but the editing SUCKS!!

Also the phone call from the "banker" is annoying.
    BRYANT - MEGADISNEY
    Owner/Travel Advisor - Magical Partners Travel
    Walt Disney Company Stockholder
    D23 Charter Member

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Good lord Darkbeer... is there anything that you don't know?

I liked the show too, but damn... to apply for the show, you have to do an awful lot of work. :I
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Toast
    Good lord Darkbeer... is there anything that you don't know?
    I don't know your real name...

But Happy New Year, whoever you are... ;p
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

I thought this show was kinda slow and boring.
    Vas or bno Vas sounds more exciting and a better way to involve the at home audience IMO
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/58925.htm

NBC is talking about mak ing the new hit game show "Deal or No Deal" into a half-hour, afternoon series for next year, according to reports.
    The network is already preparing to take another flier with a primetime week of "Deal" in March after the Winter Olympics.

<...>

The show is an international hit - but making good on U.S. TV is worth more than the the rest of the world put together for the show's owners, Endemol, the company behind "Big Brother."
    Endemol is said to prefer keeping the show as a primetime program, airing once or twice a week.
    "I think this is the kind of show that can have a nice long run, but I don't want to see it get burned out," says one Endemol exec.
    - Post staff writer
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Interesting concept. Too slow and long and I HATE the fake phone call from "the banker". Lame!
    A signature should go here.

• My Own Oasis

This isn't an original concept by a longshot anybody else here filipino and know the show pera or bayong translated (money or bag)?