• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Walk The Line screening at Folsom Prison

Dec. 22, 2005

Phoenix, 'Line' to visit Folsom

Nearly four decades after Johnny Cash recorded his groundbreaking live album "Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison," 20th Century Fox will screen its Cash biopic "Walk the Line" at the California state prison, the studio said Wednesday. The film's Joaquin Phoenix, who received a Golden Globe nomination last week for his portrayal of Cash, will be on hand for the Jan. 3 screening. "We invited 20th Century Fox to screen 'Walk the Line' at Folsom because the lesson of Johnny Cash is that it's never too late for a man to turn his life around, and that's a story these men need to hear," said Joe Avila, California executive director of the nonprofit Prison Fellowship. (Tatiana Siegel)
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Walk The Line screening at Folsom Prison

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd
    Dec. 22, 2005

Phoenix, 'Line' to visit Folsom

Nearly four decades after Johnny Cash recorded his groundbreaking live album "Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison," 20th Century Fox will screen its Cash biopic "Walk the Line" at the California state prison, the studio said Wednesday. The film's Joaquin Phoenix, who received a Golden Globe nomination last week for his portrayal of Cash, will be on hand for the Jan. 3 screening. "We invited 20th Century Fox to screen 'Walk the Line' at Folsom because the lesson of Johnny Cash is that it's never too late for a man to turn his life around, and that's a story these men need to hear," said Joe Avila, California executive director of the nonprofit Prison Fellowship. (Tatiana Siegel)
    Alias - I saw the movie just about 10 days ago, too late to post on the original thread. Let me add to the kudos. Great movie. I thought Reese was the star of the show, although Joaquin was great too and their original singing is incredible. And I'm so glad to see that it's being shown at Folsom. How fitting.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• done

We saw the film on Sunday, and we really enjoyed it. I don't have any interest in Johnny Cash, and while I of course know his name and that of June Carter Cash, I didn't know anything about them at all really. But I'd heard that Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon were amazing, and the trailer looked good, so we went. I don't know how much of it was true and what they made up and what they left out, but it was nice that they showed the blemishes in both of them. I didn't know that their relationship started off scandalously. I thought both Joaquin and Reese were amazing - that Reese can sure "sang". It was funny to see Tyler Hilton though, and when I first found out that he was playing Elvis, I thought it was amazingly ironic.

The film makes me kind of interested in reading the bios that the film was based on, though not as interested in reading the book as I was after seeing "Seabiscuit", but with so much to read in the pipeline, not sure if/when I'll get to it.

The film definitely kept my attention. I was tired going into the theatre, and I had a little caffeine to help, but I never wavered from being interested at all, even after having to sit through about 20 minutes of trailers...

• Rock Star Minion

That sounds pretty exciting. I'd kill to see that screening.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    That sounds pretty exciting. I'd kill to see that screening.
    Bring the whole gang!
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

STEVE YEATER/APJoaquin Phoenix
    Phoenix Retraces Cash's Footsteps at Folsom
    Jan 3, 8:58 PM EST
    The Associated Press

FOLSOM, Calif. -- Joaquin Phoenix, whose portrayal of Johnny Cash in "Walk the Line" has made him an Oscar front-runner, returned Tuesday to the scene of one of the musician's most famous concerts Folsom State Prison.
    More than 50 inmates dressed in denim shirts and pants watched the movie as the actor and others including musician Shooter Jennings, who in the movie plays his father, Waylon Jennings toured the facility with prison officials.
    Cash's Jan. 13, 1968, performance in the prison yard cemented his hardscrabble image and became a popular live album.
    Dressed head to toe in Cash's trademark black, Phoenix performed several acoustic songs with Jennings at the prison's Greystone Chapel, including Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues." Jennings played his father's song, "I'm a Long Way From Home."
    Phoenix apologized for his "rusty" performance, saying he had not played since the movie's completion.
    "I don't know if you've noticed, but I've messed up like 40 times," Phoenix said. "I'm all over the place."
    One inmate asked Phoenix whether he had learned to play guitar for the movie.
    "John wasn't (Jimi) Hendrix," Phoenix replied. "It was real simple. ... We rehearsed a lot."
    Noting that co-star Reese Witherspoon, who played June Carter Cash, couldn't make it, Phoenix said: "I know you guys would probably rather see Reese."
    The prisoners were subdued during most of the film, although there was occasional laughter and, at the end, applause.
    "I've always been a fan of Johnny Cash," said inmate Gary Lopez, 61, who has been incarcerated 11 years for attempted murder. "I grew up in the country picking cotton. ... All we had was a radio. All we listened to was country music. All through the movie I had a lump in my throat."

Phoenix has been considered a likely Academy Award nominee for his performance as Cash, who died in 2003 soon after his wife's death. An Oscar win by Phoenix would make it the second straight year the best-actor honor went to a performer playing a beloved, recently deceased American singer. Jamie Foxx won the award last year for his portrayal of Ray Charles in "Ray."
    Warden Matthew Kramer presented Phoenix with a prison-made license plate bearing the actor's name, and gave another to Jennings bearing the movie's title.

The event was organized by Prison Fellowship, a group that runs Bible studies and other educational programs in prisons.
    Fellowship spokesman Joe Avila said the movie's message would be good for inmates because Cash's "whole life was a message of redemption."
    "The movie is about how he screwed it up really bad, and he turned to Jesus Christ to help him change," Avila said.

• All you need is LOVE

Thanks for the good reading

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!