Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• șoș Tom șoș

Disney's "Kingdom Keepers"

Hey folks wanted to share a fun book I stumbled across after wrapping up "Peter and Starcatchers" by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson, I happened on another book by Pearson and the cover displayed a moonlit scene of small children running from pirates in front of what appeared to be the castle in the Magic Kingdom. Sure enuff it was...

The book centers around a boy, Finn, who is part of a pilot program called the DHI or Disney Host Interactive or Daytime Hologram Imaging, in which 5 youngsters including Finn are scanned and studies and become living holograms that guides folks through the Magic Kingdom, but things go array when Finn begins to have life like dreams, which lead him to the park bit his dreams are more than real and the shadows of characters scampering around the park after hours are more than shadows.

Finn meets Wayne, an original Imagineer from the WED days, a personal friend of Walt who turns Finn on a disasterious turn of events that has allowed the darker characters in the park to come to life at night, a group known as the "Overtakers" led by Malificient. Can Finn unlike the puzzle of the Stonecutter's Key left by Walt himself? Can these 5 young spirits break the dark curse over the park?

I am half way through the book and while it is not well written and the plot mixes too much magic and technology for my taste, it is a fun take on what happens after the gates close. I suspect that like "Starcatchers" if this novel does well, it would make an excellent film, if tweaked a bit. Anyone else read this? Any reactions to the premise?

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Re: Disney's "Kingdom Keepers"

My Son has read it and LOVED IT..... It got him into VMK also!
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• Screenwriter for NLF

My wife and I saw this book on one of our trips to DW. I really thought about getting it and my wife tried to convince me to, but I had second thoughts. Now I'm hearing it's really good. I love the fact that I'm hearing Malificient is the leader. If you don't mind me asking, what other villians show up. I know there are pirates.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge"--A. Einstein

http://www.newlineagefilms.com

Sounds cool, I will be on the lookout for it!

Thanks for posting this!
    BRYANT - MEGADISNEY
    Owner/Travel Advisor - Magical Partners Travel
    Walt Disney Company Stockholder
    D23 Charter Member

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

For a preteen, teen it should be enjoyable, but for anyone older, especially people knowledgable about Disney lore, it is a bit of a letdown. There's too much liberty taken with the property, like the implication that Splash Mountain was around when Walt was alive, among others. I read it, it was fun, but I wouldn't conider it a great read. The best scene? It's a Small World Dolls attacking children. (Not a spolier...it's the blurb on the dust jacket...)
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo
    For a preteen, teen it should be enjoyable, but for anyone older, especially people knowledgable about Disney lore, it is a bit of a letdown. There's too much liberty taken with the property, like the implication that Splash Mountain was around when Walt was alive, among others. I read it, it was fun, but I wouldn't conider it a great read. The best scene? It's a Small World Dolls attacking children. (Not a spolier...it's the blurb on the dust jacket...)
    I agree...its also a huge stretch that Walt somehow built a copy of MC Escher's staircase mural as part of Alice in Wonderland that then became his private office of sorts.

Thus far the writing and dialogue are very bland and the plot crosses too much technology and not enough magic and imagination.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

A lot of times it seems like a commercial for VMK... how often is it mentioned in the novel?

• Screenwriter for NLF

It's interesting on how you mentioned it could be a movie. As neat as I think it could be I don't think it would be possible to make a film. You would have to show a LOT of Disney, and we know Disney tries to keep a lot of their stuff under wraps unless you pay the money and visit the park.

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow..."

• Animatronic

I just got this book as an audio book and while the flaws are annoying, none of them are critical to the plot and could be fixed for a movie version.

The small world scene is great, but an off-hand comment about the boats not being able to be pushed because they are on a track is wrong. It's widely known that if the dolls do attack, you CAN push your boat faster.
    Last edited by Lore; 12-28-2005 at 09:15 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lore
    It's widely known that if the dolls do attack, you CAN push your boat faster.
    It's not "if" it's WHEN....

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

I got attacked....The doll Was following me with its body....And then it went back to dancing once we passed it......It has never done that to me again....and it was in The India scene too...it was creepy...But yea...I need to read this book...Then I can also agree with the letdown

• Still lost in Neverland

I finished Peter and the Starcatchers (loved it) and then got this one. I have only read the first chapter so far as I just haven't had the time. For Christmas I got a new book by J.V. Hart entitled "Capr. Hook". This is the story of James Hook as a precousous child and what turned him to pirate captain. I haven't started it yet for same reason as above but my sister read it and loved it.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Screenwriter for NLF

I picked this book up from Downtown Disney in Orlando and I am halfway through it. So far, I can't put it down. It definitly written for the young adult and is very easy to read, but it is also very entertaining. It is fun in that cheesy make you feel like a kid again everytime the kids go through the park at night. I can't wait to see how it ends.

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by Lore
    I just got this book as an audio book and while the flaws are annoying, none of them are critical to the plot and could be fixed for a movie version.
    The further I have read the more I feel let down and agree that reveals an awful lot of specific behind the scenes Disney secrets and is a huge commericial for VMK...that said I guess at the end of the day that I could see it becoming a movie but frankly it borrows so much from Kingdom Hearts that I just don't know.

Now take the best of the Kingdom Keepers and Kingdom Hearts and weave a plot out of that and I would say hell yes.

• horsin' around!

okay...sorry... not 'Disneyish' at all...but I was intruduced to 'starcatchers' at a bookfair preview..i also picked up the book Inkheart! OH MY GOSH! you guys HAVE to experience the adventure of Inkheart (Cornelia Funke) and the sequel Inkspell... I was so nuts about Inkhearrt I made my family crazy till they all read it...& during that year I kept saying... "this would make the most AWSOME movie!" well..its being made as we speak... w/ Brendan Frazure ( spelling?) as the main character. What I found interesting was the author dedicated the 2nd book to Brendan.
    but i will warn you....life will fall by the wayside... you pick up the book & get sucked right in...like your very own "neverending story" adventure!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast