Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

"Narnia" a close 2nd to "Kong"

'King Kong' holds slim lead at holiday box office By Dean Goodman Mon Dec 26, 2:12 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - "King Kong" reigned at the North American box office for a second weekend on Monday, leading a busy field of Christmas newcomers and expansions even as overall ticket sales fell.
    Director Peter Jackson's big ape remake sold an estimated $31.4 million worth of tickets in the four days beginning Friday, taking its total to a modest $118.7 million after 12 days.

Because of the holiday season, movie industry observers are still not certain how to classify the performance of Universal Pictures' $207 million movie. After a slow start, it picked up steam last weekend, but was surpassed in subsequent days by the weekend's No. 2 movie, "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe."
    "It is forging its own pattern of performance, but it is doing sizable business every day," said Marc Shmuger, Vice Chairman of the General Electric Co.-controlled studio.
    Despite the imprimatur of Jackson, the Oscar-winning director of the "Lord of the Rings" movies, "King Kong" has been handicapped by its three-hour running time and the fact that it is not based on a popular literary property.

Walt Disney Co.'s "Narnia" film, a similarly effects-laden enterprise with the added bonus of being based on the book by C.S. Lewis, held at No. 2 with $30.1 million, taking its total after 17 days to $163.5 million.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Circle of Ancients

Re: "Narnia" a close 2nd to "Kong"

Glad to see Narnia holding it's own. It's a great movie!!!

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

A lot of churches in my area are renting out entire theatres for it....I think this may be a major playing in why its doing so well, if churches all around are doing the same
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• Huh?

Of course it's part of the reason... that's the big reason behind Disney's targeting of the churches. If they'll do it for Passion of the Christ, they'll do it for them. I haven't notice anybody doing it here, but I'm sure they are.
    -Tim

• ROFLCOPTER

I hope "King Kong" and "Narnia" continue this trend.
    Go Bengals.

WDW>DL

• A Pirate's life for me!

We saw both, so I guess we cancelled each other out, or added a little to each (for ratings that is)...

Oh well, either way, we enjoyed them both.

• Disney Memory Maker

I love to see Kong doing so poorly. Just to show how bad it's doing, Kong's four-day second weekend did worse than Narnia's three-day second weekend. Kong beat Narnia's 3rd weekend by less than 2 million dollars.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Banned User

The only reason why King Kong is so close is due to the fact King Kong has 300 less theaters it is being shown in. If King Kong had just as many Narnia theaters it would be beating it hands down.

King Kong: 3576 theaters $31,433,000 this weekend
    Narnia: 3853 theaters $30,102,000 this weekend

There is a clear advantage from where I am standing.

• Huh?

Dunno why you'd be happy to see it doing poorly... it's a good remake that pays homage to the original very nicely and adds to the original in all the good ways. It is a great film.
    -Tim

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfreak
    The only reason why King Kong is so close is due to the fact King Kong has 300 less theaters it is being shown in. If King Kong had just as many Narnia theaters it would be beating it hands down.

And the fact that Narnia is in it's 3rd week & Kong is in it's second week is not an advantage for Kong?
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

I was looking forward to both of these two blockbusters. From looking at all the pre-release publicity, I expected to like "King Kong" much more than "Narnia" (all of the religious marketing tie-ins probably didn't help in my mind). Too my surprise, I enjoyed Narnia much more than I enjoyed Kong. It kind of looks like I'm not the only one!
    --Jonathan

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

I saw King Kong but didn't (and probably wont) see Narnia.. at least until its on video. I thought King Kong was an absolutely fantastic film and suprisingly very emotional. I certainly would support an Oscar nomination for Naomi Watts - how she pulled off conveying such emotion to a green screen the whole time amazes me. Not to mention the direction was simply beautiful. Nevertheless, maybe the reason for Kong's underwhelming performance is because of its marketing. I admit I felt some of the TV spots and trailers were a bit cheesy and just kind of bad and I would have probably not seen the movie because of the adverts if it wasnt for the fact that my brother wanted to see it for our annual Christmas day movie.

Its interesting that everybody is bringing up the religion-targeted marketing for Narnia ... I didnt see any of it here in Bakersfield, which is even more peculiar since we're a heavily conservative Christian city. Church groups were renting out theaters for the Passion of the Christ here as well, so its a little strange not to see any Narnia religious marketing here..

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I LOVED Narnia and I'm not a religious person. I got the story behind the movie but it wasn't thrown in my face and I respected that. As far as who I want to do better, honestly I am waiting for DVD for Kong, I'm sure some will disagree but I just see it as another remake with the same old special effects.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfreak

Also running times play a part:
    King Kong 187 minutes
    Narnia 139 minutes

Narnia also has the Happy Meal advantage, sends a definite family appeal message to the main entertainment $$ decision-maker: Mommy.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd
    Also running times play a part:
    King Kong 187 minutes
    Narnia 139 minutes
    Running time has absolutely nothing to do with it. Let's look at some other long movies in history....
    -Each of the LotR movies were about 3 hours long...they all made well over $300m.
    -Titanic (3h15m) made over $600m
    -Gone with the Wind (nearly 4 hours) is the most successful movie in history
    -Sound of Music (3 hours) made an adjusted $900m
    -Dr. Zhivago, Ben-Hur, etc. have all done very well

I cannot think of one 3+ hour movie that has not made a heck of a lot of money

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast