“I just quit smoking today,” he explains on that first day we meet, “so I may at some point get irrationally angry with you.” He has quit before. The longest he has managed to stay smoke-free as an adult was a year, eventually faltering in New Zealand. “I had a bit of a lost weekend while we were doing King Kong,” he says. “Look, overall I’m very responsible on set. I’m not one of those dudes who come drunk to the set.
But there was a lost weekend where I had a little extra time off and I did some ecstasy and I went on a kind of crazy rampage and I started smoking. Me and another member of the cast, who will remain nameless, just running around, dancing around, drinking and ecstasizing, smoking like a chimney. And then it was over. I was fully back.”

Jack Black in GQ from
Black Power

In which the unlikely leading man, King Kong star, and part-time satiric rock god explores his latent Messiah complex, recalls the naked family camp he attended as a boy, and explains why everyone should die before 70 By Chris Heath; photographs by Mark Seliger