Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So Raven Angry

• Looking for Love

So Raven Angry

My sister somtimes watches the Disney channel show "That's So Raven". If I were black, I would kick Disney in the balls. Why do they make all the charecters on that show fallow the typical "black person stereotype". Everything from the stupid waves in the air with the hand, to the impropper "oh no she didn't" grammer/ebonics, right down to the way they dress. I don't know one black woman who acts like that. Unless you live in oakland, or on one of MTV's stupid reality shows, then that kind of stereotyping is unneccesary. They are teaching every child who watches the disneychannel to be ignorant. Im not rasist, but I can't stand white people acting black, and I can't stand that black ghetto sterotyping!

• Circle of Ancients

Re: So Raven Angry

I don't watch "That's so Raven" but I saw the same thing today on Rugrats.

They had a "Kwanzaa" episode and if I were black it would have pissed me off. From the woman being called "Auntie" to the "Lordy" and the fact they were making steriotypical food.

They even had a scene where MLK helped "Auntie" fix her car while she was driving to Washington DC to see his speech.

WTF!?!?!?!?

• Disney Memory Maker

Oh give me a break. The way Raven acts in the show is the way she is in real life. If black stereotypes include acting like Lucille Ball than I take back everything I say. Seriously though, that's who Raven and Chesea are very much like (Lucy & Ethel). Raven is "ghetto" as much as Roseanne is.

The only thing Raven promotes is good living. Unlike some other crap-girls who promote wearing skimpy clothes and doing bad things, Raven does none of that. The show is a very light-hearted, fun show & does not stereotype people.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Raven just needs to get some clothes that actually fit. Most of her outfits are so tight they look painful. Nothing wrong with being a larger size but if you are you can't squish into a size 2 - it looks horrible and makes you look even bigger than you really are.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Derekuda
    My sister somtimes watches the Disney channel show "That's So Raven". If I were black, I would kick Disney in the balls. Why do they make all the charecters on that show fallow the typical "black person stereotype". Everything from the stupid waves in the air with the hand, to the impropper "oh no she didn't" grammer/ebonics, right down to the way they dress. I don't know one black woman who acts like that. Unless you live in oakland, or on one of MTV's stupid reality shows, then that kind of stereotyping is unneccesary. They are teaching every child who watches the disneychannel to be ignorant. Im not rasist, but I can't stand white people acting black, and I can't stand that black ghetto sterotyping!
    Why shouldn't Disney have those characters follow the "black person stereotype"? I mean there are people out there who act that way and find shows like Raven funny and entertaining. So, are those people wrong and should be left out?

To be honest, I don't particularly like the show, I just don't see anything offensive about it.

Also, I have to agree with askmike1. Ultimately, it comes down to this: what message is the show trying to convey? If the message is "be kind", "be responsible" etc., then does it matter what mannerisms the characters use or how they speak? Should tacos be banned from George Lopez show because viewers might think the producers are trying to stereotype Hispanic people?

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Pacha
    To be honest, I don't particularly like the show, I just don't see anything offensive about it.
    I do... I'm offended that people actually found anything in the show good and funny enough to last beyond its first episode. I've yet to find anything in the show that'll make me do anything but vomit. One of the most offensive shows ever... It's just offensive for them to think that even preteens could have IQs that low! The show makes Superstar Limo look like the greatest ride ever!
    -Tim

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum
    I do... I'm offended that people actually found anything in the show good and funny enough to last beyond its first episode. I've yet to find anything in the show that'll make me do anything but vomit.
    Well, the show's demographic doesn't really cover 26 year-olds.

One of the most offensive shows ever... It's just offensive for them to think that even preteens could have IQs that low! The show makes Superstar Limo look like the greatest ride ever!
    If you think That's so Raven is one of the most offensive shows ever, you really need to stop and take a look at everything. Look at the shows on Comedy Central....those are offensive. Look at the shows on FOX, those are offensive. Raven is probably the least offensive show there is (unless of course, you get offended by psychics or ditsy red-heads). That's so Raven is the most popular show on the Disney Channel & the only one to make it to 4 seasons. Kids love this show because it's funny. What is so offensive about this show?

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    Well, the show's demographic doesn't really cover 26 year-olds.

If you think That's so Raven is one of the most offensive shows ever, you really need to stop and take a look at everything. Look at the shows on Comedy Central....those are offensive. Look at the shows on FOX, those are offensive. Raven is probably the least offensive show there is (unless of course, you get offended by psychics or ditsy red-heads). That's so Raven is the most popular show on the Disney Channel & the only one to make it to 4 seasons. Kids love this show because it's funny. What is so offensive about this show?

-Michael
    What's so offensive?

Like I said, it's just insulting the intelligence of the human population.

But, I guess they know their target audience. After all, it was humans to make modern american pop culture what it is.

Outside of the Nutty Professor and the Cosby Show.... Raven just doesn't seem to be able to do much acting. She makes Uma Thurman look like an Oscar Winner.
    -Tim

• Minion

I'm still with Mike on this one. I don't see where Raven or her show is that offensive. Maybe some specific examples would help? I've only watched the show a few times and saw nothing offensive about it. Boring? Obnoxious? Grating? Yes, all of the above. Offensive. *shrug* Me no see it.

Far as shows where people act silly or ditzy or whatever, there are TONS of shows out there like that. Is "I Love Lucy" offensive to redheads because Lucy was a ditz? I wonder if "Gilligan's Island" is offensive to first mates?

• Huh?

There's a BIG difference between Lucy/Gilligan and Raven: Lucy and Gilligan were funny and could act VERY well.
    -Tim

• Disney Memory Maker

There's a BIG difference between Lucy/Gilligan and Raven: Lucy and Gilligan were funny and could act VERY well.
    That's your opinion. Just because you don't like Raven doesn't mean nobody else can like her (or the show).

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

I hate to say it but currently it is trendy for teenagers and preteens to act like they have sub average intelligence and to act urban. Its called the dumification of America. This is probably how our current administration got elected.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    That's your opinion. Just because you don't like Raven doesn't mean nobody else can like her (or the show).
    Well, that's because my plan to take over the world hasn't succeeded yet... I'm still in the early stages after all. And then we'll be free of having to suffer through Raven ever again!

Unless it's the Cosby show. She showed so much promise way back then. What happened?!?!
    -Tim

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Raven just doesn't seem to be able to do much acting. She makes Uma Thurman look like an Oscar Winner.
    Uma Thurman was nominated for the an Academy Award for best supporting actress for Pulp Fiction. It is an honour just to be nominated....
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Looking for Love

Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie
    I hate to say it but currently it is trendy for teenagers and preteens to act like they have sub average intelligence and to act urban. Its called the dumification of America. This is probably how our current administration got elected.
    It's true, I seen it! Thankfully, with the addition of much needed degrees for good and important jobs, this current generation of teens and preteens will end up working in McDonalds where they belong! Maybe they will one day work their way up to an assistant management possition.......maybe.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast