•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

The Chronicles of Narnia.. BOOK help.

I read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe when I was a child and completely loved it. However someone correct me if I am wrong but aren't the Chronicles a series of books? If they are can someone tell me the names and in what order. I would love to read them again as I throughly enjoyed the film.

Thanks!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Re: The Chronicles of Narnia.. BOOK help.

Did you want order of release or the chronological order of the history of Narnia? The chronological order of the books for the history of Narnia are THE MAGICIAN'S NEPHEW; THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE; THE HORSE AND HIS BOY; PRINCE CASPIAN; THE VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER; THE SILVER CHAIR; and THE LAST BATTLE

The order of release is 1) The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, 2) Prince Caspian, 3)The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, 4) The Silver Chair, 5) The Horse and His Boy, 6) The Magician's Nephew, and 7) The Last Battle
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie
    Did you want order of release or the chronological order of the history of Narnia? The chronological order of the books for the history of Narnia are THE MAGICIAN'S NEPHEW; THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE; THE HORSE AND HIS BOY; PRINCE CASPIAN; THE VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER; THE SILVER CHAIR; and THE LAST BATTLE

The order of release is 1) The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, 2) Prince Caspian, 3)The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, 4) The Silver Chair, 5) The Horse and His Boy, 6) The Magician's Nephew, and 7) The Last Battle
    The chronological order of the history. Thanks!

Although why were they so out of order like that in release?

• Haunted Mansion Holiday

because the Magician's Nephew is a prequel and how Narnia was made. It was made after all those

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's Return
    because the Magician's Nephew is a prequel and how Narnia was made. It was made after all those
    Double post.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's Return
    Ah I see, well that makes sense than. Thank you for the clarification.

• I'm your huckleberry.

I would point out that IMO, it is important to read the books according to release order, not chronological order. Reason is that there are references to other books in the Magicians Nephew that would be missed if you read it first. Also some of the "secrets" in the Magicians Nephew are best left until AFTER you have read Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

From what i understand the order has to do with Lewis' original intentions. Apparently he did not have the whole story plotted out from the beginning and start writting. Originally it was just the one book. Then had an idea and wrote some more and so on and so forth. Don't know the accuracy of my tale, that's just how I've heard it told.

• Infinitized!

Is C. S. Lewis related to George Lucas in some way? (it's the prequels)

• Earth Intruder

Although the books are often times put in chronological order they are best read IN THE ORDER THEY WERE PUBLISHED. They are way more enjoyable that way; as someone pointed out above, the books that were published later make reference to books that were published earlier... so if you read them in chronological order you are taking some of the joy out of the books. The books were published in the order they were written -- it isn't like he wrote all 7 books first and then randomly published them.

And no it isn't like George Lucas.... I don't think CS Lewis ever lied about having 7 stories "in his head", started with story #2 and then went from there.

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe should be the one you read first as it was published first and introduced the world to Narnia first. (Even though it is second chronologically).

The Magician's Nephew, which tells the origins of Narnia and Jadis the White Witch, is first chronologically but the 6th book published. It is best read sixth, as, the Last Battle (the 7th book published and the 7th book chronologically) and the Magician's Nephew serve as "bookends" to the entire series.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!