• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

What should Bob Iger do with Disney?

So what do you think Bob Iger needs to do with Disney in order to keep it a top competitor?

--Bob, I hope you are reading this....

• Self service witchdoctor

Re: What should Bob Iger do with Disney?

Do with Disney? Hmmm.. He should keep him from spinning more than 5000 RPM and polish the bronze plaque once a month.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    So what do you think Bob Iger needs to do with Disney in order to keep it a top competitor?

Here is the thing... So far he has been pushing the envelope technology wise... Opening channels for content distribution... (VMK, Disney Cellular, Mix Sticks, the Deal with Ipod...) He is also pushing to close the envelope on DVD distribution...

But so far, when it comes to content creation he gets a D-... He only passes because of Narnia... Miramax has been cutted and put out of it's misery... Muppets Holding Company almost there as well... The films that are being produced are lack luster at best... I point to the 300 million loss the studio blamed on Miramax... Which is BS it hides the lack luster performance of their summer offerings...

The bad news is that it gets worse... Look at the future offerings:

Disney Studios:

Glory Road (OK, maybe Buckhiemer can pull an ace out of his neither regions here...)
    Roving Mars (Imax anyone?)
    8 Below (You think they would learn from Snow Dogs)
    Shaggy Dog ( remake - shoot me now you think they would learn from Herbie: Fully Loaded)

Now Cars is released in June... and will likely save Disney's collective tookus this summer.

Miramax has nothing scheduled to be released... because they are being gutted... And under the new business model they can only purchase films from film students in Calcutta who are shooting in super 8... And meanwhile all promising material is going to The Weinstien Company, New Line, and Lions Gate...

Touchstone:

Casanova (No where near oscar material!)
    Anapolis (Ugh - Stay away!!!)
    Goal! (Release it in Spanish maybe you will get an audiance)
    Apacalipto (Gibson's "WaterWorld"???)

(Yes it looks like an apacalipse to me...)

--------

OK, my take on the DVD thing... Clearly there was a retailer focus on TV Shows... And when you think about it, you understand why they are stocking TV series instead of DVD's... PROFIT MARGIN...

A TV Series on DVD's price is $ 30-40 - Films are $10-20

DUH...

The problem is, it is a fad that is marketer driven... Not a consumer trend...

This dog won't hunt... Better rethink video marketing, Disney... unfortunately, we know what this means and yes we been dreading it... releasing sequels packaged with the original classic... marketing in the $30-40 price range...

Wanna hire me now Iger?
    Check out my other blog:

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler

He's doing it
    http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...highlight=iger
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd
    You say that with such confidence...

However the stock price has been lathargic... It is past the first of the year and Disney has yet to sign a deal with Pixar... Which was the Christmas gift we stockholders where all hoping and praying for...

So?

Meanwhile outside Narnia, Pixar and Buckhiemer - The films are stink-o... That's what I think-o...

(Yes, I can rhyme, it's a gift!!!)
    Check out my other blog:

• Banned User

oh and of course you forgot the next summer blockbuster
    pirates. miramax lost money and iger wasnt involved with many of last summer's movies or for that matter this summer's movies. those were still micheal's babies. it takes a couple of years for content to get through the pipeline. it won't be long though when they will run out of the " hero" titles to make and will have to move on. and gee people he just took over in october, honestly he will need at least a year before judgement can be made and movies are just one part of a huge company that has many problems.

• Rock Star Minion

Get back to the core of the business that everyone thinks of when they hear "Disney": FAMILY ENTERTAINMENT!
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95
    miramax lost money and iger wasnt involved with many of last summer's movies or for that matter this summer's movies. those were still micheal's babies. it takes a couple of years for content to get through the pipeline. it won't be long though when they will run out of the " hero" titles to make and will have to move on. and gee people he just took over in october, honestly he will need at least a year before judgement can be made and movies are just one part of a huge company that has many problems.
    You can't tell me that Iger was not involved in letting the Weinstien's go, which means that 300 mill short fall is partially Iger's problem... It wasn't just Eisner who actually likes Bob dispite a differance of opinion... And there still is no deal on record with Pixar... Everything so far is directed toward Apple... So, what does this mean? Well Iger and Jobs are talking... That's about it... Mean while June is not that far away...

In regard to the former question... I ask you, WHY hasn't Miramax posted anything about an up comming slate of films? The studeo is now a library, the focus is on Disney properties...

And still Touchstone is puting out Apocolipto, Anapolis, and Goal? All I can say is Pirates BETTER be good...

And Bambi II is now a video travisty...

Meanwhile you have Desperate Housewives, Lost, Grey's Anatomy, Dancing with the Stars... And you aren't willing to tell me that the focus is shifting to content distribution?

Iger still doesn't have a clue in regards to the studeo... Perhaps Eisner set it up so he doesn't have to for a while - even if it goes against his own operating philosophy of pushing Singles and Doubles which is persued by Mr. Cook...

Meanwhile the Market is being flooded with CGI Animation... I don't know how much more of these animal fables I can take... They are beginning to all look the same to me...

I am not holding my breath here...
    Check out my other blog:

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    You say that with such confidence...

However the stock price has been lathargic... It is past the first of the year and Disney has yet to sign a deal with Pixar... Which was the Christmas gift we stockholders where all hoping and praying for...
    Hope your housing & financial holdings weren't tied to a xmas press conference, but they're right it's only the first week of January.

Many people would argue that owning stock in a company is confidence in that company, or maybe it's merely another Disney souvenir.

From a publicity standpoint announcing anything of major signifigance during the holiday season is a bit of a waste, too much competition for everyone's distracted attention. They are apparently close so we watch and wait. With confidence...
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Iger need to fix the Muppet Holding Company. Also he need to get Roger Rabbit sequel or prequel back into the works. Eisner is gone, so Spielberg might say yes to this.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey joe
    Also he need to get Roger Rabbit sequel or prequel back into the works. Eisner is gone, so Spielberg might say yes to this.

Giving Robert Zemeckis a building on the lot wouldn't hurt either....

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd
    Hope your housing & financial holdings weren't tied to a xmas press conference, but they're right it's only the first week of January...
    Me? Nah, I am a rare breed of long term investors... I believe in the long term profitablity of Disney, there still is a lot of value here if they play their cards right... But you aren't going to see it in their distribution channels...

You will see it in Parks and Resorts, if they are setting up Disney Quest like I think they are... The big question is will it be implemented?

Trading Content Creation for Distribution leads to the problem of Sequel Syndrome... It is a vicious cycle... Bambi 2 is not in my mind positive long term growth...

I got in because of Miramax actually... If the Bob and Harvey ever go public, I am so there!!! I think they can do what Dreamworks SKG couldn't... Mostly because they have a better business plan/model...
    Check out my other blog: