Thread: El Capitan

• Haunted Mansion Holiday

El Capitan

Has anyone been here? I have twice and today im going for the thrid time to see Narnia. The first was for the Pirates movie (they had a cool prop underneathe it) and the other for the Haunted Mansion movie (they had a whole tent of things in the back). Narnia has props for its movie. They always decorate it beautifully for each movie. And its well themed to each movie. Like Pirates had gold in the balcony seats on the side(you can use those seats) and one of them had the red lady painting (like Pineapplewhip's avatar). And Haunted Mansion had cobwebs and little things like antiques to decorate the balcony seating.
    Last edited by Jack's Return; 01-05-2006 at 10:27 AM.

• Minion

Re: Hyperion Theater

Do you mean the El Capitan in Hollywood?

• Give Peace a Chance

Narnia is showing at the El Capitan Theatre through Jan 29th, so I think Jack's Return just got the names confused.
    Btw, I've been there, it is cool.
    ~ MickeysGirl șoș
    ~ Gotta Love the Mouse! șoș

oh yea sorry. Im had a lot of Disney theaters name.

Bad Reed bad(yes Reed is my actual name)

• Minion

Re: El Capitan Theater

The El Capitan originally opened as a legitimate playhouse, and was built by prominent Los Angeles developer Charles E. Toberman. Toberman was the first to see the potential of a mixed use retail and theatre district on Hollywood Boulevard that was largely residential and agricultural at the time. His obervation of the success of this mix in downtown Los Angeles led him to believe that a theatre district could be key to Hollywood's evolution as highly successful commercial district of Los Angeles. Some of his early projects include the Egyptian Theatre, Grauman's Chinese Theatre, The Roosevelt Hotel and the Masonic Temple.

Toberman hired renowned theatre architect G. Albert Lansburgh to design the exotic East Indian interior of the theatre. Some of Lansburgh's other buildings include the Orpheum Theatre, Wiltern Theatre, Warner Hollywood Theatre and the Shrine Auditorium. The Los Angeles based firm of Morgan, Walls & Clements created the Spanish Colonial exterior.

The theatre opened to live performances May 3, 1926 with "Charlot's Revue", a song and dance variety show starring Jack Buchanan, Gertrude Lawrence and Beatrice Lillie. Rave reviews called the El Capitan "Hollywood's New Temple of Spoken Drama" and one of the most palatial structures in America. The theatre established a firm reputation by producing a series of shows that attracted widespread support in the entertainnment community. Over 120 live productions including "No, No, Nanette", "Abie's Irish Rose" and "Of Mice and Men" starred such famous performers as Joan Fontaine, Douglas Fairbanks Jr., Lon Chaney Jr., Joe E. Brown, Buster Keaton, Clark Gable, Henry Fonda, Jason Robards and Will Rogers.

About 80% of the restored ceiling is original. This gilded and hand painted ceiling had more than 70 holes punched through the plaster to permit the suspension of a drop ceiling in an earlier remodeling. It was styled after the gilded ceilings of the Venetian Renaissance era that inspired the baroque gilded ceilings of Italy, France and Spain. The El Capitan's original lighting fixtures were taken out in a 1942 renovation. these chandeliers were reproduced from photographs.

"Citizen Kane" had its world premiere at the El Capitan Theatre on May 9, 1941. The brother and sister producing team Fanchon Wolff Simon and Marco Wolff convinced Paramount Hollywood Theatre Corporation, who by this time had taken over the lease of the El Capitan, to assign 50% of its lease to them. Fanchon & Marco were noted for their circuit of touring road shows for movie houses and had established themselves at the downtown Paramount. They closed the theatre and did extensive renovations. The theatre reopened as the Paramount Theatre in March 1942 with Cecil B. DeMille's "Reap The Wild Wind" It was obvious that a great deal of work had been done. The exterior face above the entrance contained a brightly lit marquee. The outer ticket lobby and main lobby were updated, resulting in a modern streamlined look that included much neon decoration. Lowered ceilings were put in place throughout. In the outer lobby terrazzo replaced stamped concrete on the floor. The walls were eventually covered with mirrors. one of the exotic features of the remodeled theatre was a coconut milk bar in the location of this current snackbar. It featured bamboo furnishings, fake palm trees and even a two-tone carpet patterned to simulate a shadow pattern under each tree.
    There were several remodels through the 50s and 60s when it was The Hollywood Paramount. This was a roadshow house with reserved seating for most of the films booked there. Dr. Zhivago and the original Dr. Doolittle had long runs there. The interior during that time was very plain and modern and I seem to remember a black satin inner curtain that was revealed during the light dimming and parting of the first drapery during the overture that played prior to the film’s start. Yes, kids…movie going used to be an event.
    Disney is to be commended for returning this movie palace to its former glory even though it is small in comparison to some of the downtown LA theaters.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

I've seen NBC, Cinderella and Chicken Little there, I think that's all? It's a great theater. And having the ice cream shoppe next to it is a huge bonus!!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland
    I've seen NBC, Cinderella and Chicken Little there, I think that's all? It's a great theater. And having the ice cream shoppe next to it is a huge bonus!!
    OMG, there's a theater next door to Disney's fabulous Ice Cream Fountain and Studio Store... great placement!!!

You have me by 2, NNL. I've only been there once.

Got back a little while ago. Kids down there are horrible. One spat on Roy E. Disney's star. I was like :O . I wish my parents had bail money so i couldnt "accidently" drop something in his popcorn