• Minion

The Top 100 - The All Time Top Movie List

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

Not sure if anyone has posted this recently or not. I found this site via another website I usually frequent and thought I'd share it, being it could bring in some pretty good discussions.

Sadly for some people, Titanic is at the top of the list, because I know that not many people liked it. Well, it was boosted by a lot of hype. The time it came out, it was released at THE END of the movie season of 97, and just kept going because fans would go back to it again and again. It had a #1 song to keep it going, then came the awards season with the Globes and the Oscars. That kept the hype going even more. We all know that when the Oscars come out, any films that are heavily nominated, are rereleased into the theaters. This movie kept going until April until it was dethroned by City of Angels.

Another thing to note, is that Star Wars, the original or Episode 4 is #19, many behind Episodes 1 and 3. Sad really, that one of the highest grossing films and favorites of all time, was passed by it's younger siblings. I am a fan of the entire trilogy, but don't get me wrong, 4 is always one of the best. It's the original and can never be duplicated, no matter how much Mel Brooks tries lol. But I feel the reason for 1 & 3 being higher than the original, is ticket prices. This is the list of the highest grossing films, and ticket prices have gone up a lot since episode 4 came out. One thing for sure, I see a lot of favorites on that list. Now let the discussions or debates continue.....

• Circle of Ancients

Re: The Top 100 - The All Time Top Movie List

Just to be clear to everyone ... this is the highest GROSSING movies of all time ... not what BOM is saying are the BEST ...

Another cool thing BOM does is they adjust the movies for inflation because that certainly makes a difference.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

In this case Gone With the Wind and Star Wars are #1 and #2 respectively. Titanic is #6. The only movie that shows up from 2005 is Star Wars III at #55, un-adjusted it's #7.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Is it sad when you've seen all the movies on that list? LOL

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    Just to be clear to everyone ... this is the highest GROSSING movies of all time ... not what BOM is saying are the BEST ...

Another cool thing BOM does is they adjust the movies for inflation because that certainly makes a difference.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

In this case Gone With the Wind and Star Wars are #1 and #2 respectively. Titanic is #6. The only movie that shows up from 2005 is Star Wars III at #55, un-adjusted it's #7.
    I wasn't aware of this. You must be familiar with this site. Thanks for the info.

• Official Mice Chat person

Very interesting list! Thanks for it. The one that's adjusted for inflation is very cool, I would have never guessed that Sleeping Beuty and the Lion King made MORE than Shrek 2.(when adjusted for inflation).And it's cool that Snow White is number 10 on the list.

• Rock Star Minion

For Sleeping Beauty and Snow White, do note that they were re-released a number of times betweeen their issue date and, oh, 1990 or so.

AFI has a "100 'best' movie" list that is probably more accurate. It's out of date, though. People who voted in this poll are more afficionados of film, not just popcorn-eaters.

http://www.afi.com/tvevents/100years/movies.aspx
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

^ People vote with their wallets.

I know most "Movie Afficionados" would hate me but I'm not really into all the artsy stuff they put on those lists. I like to have fun at the movies so BOM list suits me just fine.

Summer, I have seen them all too so your not alone.

• Rock Star Minion

"People!? I ain't people!"
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Senior Minion

This list is by dollar amount as SirClink pointed out. I'm just wondering, I have always seen Citizen Kane at the number one spot on other lists. I just saw this recently from my Netflix list.

I'm curious how do they determine on the other lists what is a great film? Citizen Kane was fantastic BTW. Could anyone answer this question for me?
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TicTocDragon
    This list is by dollar amount as SirClink pointed out. I'm just wondering, I have always seen Citizen Kane at the number one spot on other lists. I just saw this recently from my Netflix list.

I'm curious how do they determine on the other lists what is a great film? Citizen Kane was fantastic BTW. Could anyone answer this question for me?
    It usually starts with a great story, followed by great execution of filmmaking to tell that story. Sometimes innovative shotmaking, sometimes brilliant acting and directing.

Citizen Kane, for example, used a number of very interesting shots to convey the story. It's shown in film classes as a teaching tool.

• e komo mai

Looking at 'Titanic's' gross, I don't think any film will be touching that for awhile. Wow!

• Smells like beer

Thats interesting, IMDB.com has a place where people can vote for what they think is the best movie of all time. They do the top 250 and hey!! Looky here!! I posted a link. Neato gang.

http://www.imdb.com/chart/top
    I find it hard
    It's hard to find
    Oh well, whatever, nevermind