Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How true is CSI?

Do you think (or does any one know) how true the TV show SCI is? I mean, I have heard that no CSI lab in the world has that much technology. And I just watched Bone Collector, and all those little clues they put together, little pieces of paper, one from inside a bone fragment, and put them together to get the logo, does that kind of dectective work really happen in the real world, or is it only in Hollywood?

~Bob

• Senior Minion

Re: How true is CSI?

Quote Originally Posted by rstar
    Do you think (or does any one know) how true the TV show SCI is? I mean, I have heard that no CSI lab in the world has that much technology. And I just watched Bone Collector, and all those little clues they put together, little pieces of paper, one from inside a bone fragment, and put them together to get the logo, does that kind of dectective work really happen in the real world, or is it only in Hollywood?

~Bob
    This show has inspired many law enforcement agencys too take a detailed look at evidence. Again, they may not have the city or state funds, but they do take a more meticulous look at what is at the crime scene & evidence.

Another show that was in the news recently, was the show Law & Order.

A prosecutor quoted a episode that never happened, which caused a mistrial(hope that is the right term) of a lady on trial for drowning all her children. So I think this show definitely has an impact on how evidence is looked at.

Do I think that the show is for real? Well I think the show CSI Miami is real, to a point. The police don't drive Hummers as far as I know in real life. My uncle was a Homicide Detective and let me tell you, it is an uglier world out there then what is on television. Obviously with censors watching, it can't be too graphic then it already is.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Wow, I never thought of it going the other way around. I was wondering if the shows could be based on real life, I never thought about how the shows could impact the dectictive work!

Thanks!

~Bob

• A Pirate's life for me!

With both of us lifetime Law Enforcement, let me tell you...Hollywood really goes overboard with some of their ideas. The real world would bore most folks and you would lose interest quickly. My wife was a Crime Scene Investigator before they even came up with the term. Nothing happens as quickly as it does on TV. Half their equipment doesn't even exist in the real world.

If you recall the old show called Quincy, that was more realistic than these new shows. Out of todays new shows, Crossing Jordan is pretty close, but even they use some tactics that just don't fly.

We wish that real life crimes could be solved within an hours episode, but that just isn't the case.

Sorry to burst any bubbles, but it still boils down to hard work, lengthy investigations and sometimes a little luck to solve a case in todays world.

• Senior Minion

The time frame it takes is so true.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Why do you keep talking?

I like to watch the ones on Discovery or Court TVonce in a while, they're more based in reality, but CSI is good for entertainment (plus on of my cousins does the prosthetics for the show so I gotta suport him!)
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

Thanks Hecter! Do they film CSI in Hollywood? My wife and daughter love that show! In fact my daughter wants to be a forensic phsycologist, in part because of the show. I wonder how many kids want to work in that feild because of the show, only to find it is so much fiction?!

CSI makes it look like it takes days or weeks. But sometimes it fast forwards to a court session that is months down the road. But the lab stuff looks like results are sometimes hours to get a result. I work in a lab, but a cosmetic R%D type. When I get a request, it's months before there is a completion.

~Bob

• Reaver of Souls

Anyone out there watch Monk? There was a hilarious episode where they were sort of making fun of the gadgets on the CSI-esque shows. They were on the set of filming one of these shows, and the actors were using a blacklight or something to find all this evidence. It was like watching something from Star Trek. And they had these goofy one-liners and incredible leaps of logic. Absolutely hilarious. I love CSI, but I loved to see Monk taking shots at how over the top it is sometimes...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Reaver
    Anyone out there watch Monk? There was a hilarious episode where they were sort of making fun of the gadgets on the CSI-esque shows. They were on the set of filming one of these shows, and the actors were using a blacklight or something to find all this evidence. It was like watching something from Star Trek. And they had these goofy one-liners and incredible leaps of logic. Absolutely hilarious. I love CSI, but I loved to see Monk taking shots at how over the top it is sometimes...
    I watch it as well, very comical show.

• Sock Puppet

As a computer guy, I can tell you that absolutely everything they do with computers on CSI is just fantastic crap: "fantacrap", you might say. Computers cannot pull up an identity from a fingerprint in mere seconds. Nor can they pull any tiny of bit of information the CSI folks happen to need on a moment's notice.

Furthermore, computers cannot "zoom in" on digital pictures and video and make the image appear *more* clear. The closer you zoom on a digital picture, the more fuzzy it becomes. Computers can sometimes enhance digital images, but nothing like on CSI.

My wife works for a bank. Every year she attends robbery training which is conducted by the local police. Every year the guy teaching the class says, "No, we can't just zoom in on video tape like on CSI!".

My son's house was broken into several weeks ago. Whoever broke in stood on a dresser below a basement window, knocked the dresser over, then climbed back out the window. When my son told the police there should be plenty of fingerprints of the perpetrator around, they laughed. Apparently, my local police department can lift fingerprints only from glass. I suspect many police departments are the same way and certainly nothing like CSI.

And yet, I do enjoy watching CSI. It's no more unrealistic than an Agatha Christie mystery.
    Last edited by Little Buck; 01-16-2006 at 06:52 PM.

OopS, sorry about the location- I didn't spot the entertainment catigory!

Don't get me wrong, we like CSI and all the others. They are entertaining. And most of the time when we say "How'd she get that dagger?" we just answer with "It's a show, go with it!". So when CSI zooms in from two miles out on a video and inhances the two pixels left and reads the fine print on the check someone is writing at the gas station through the dirty window to get the address of the perp, we "go with it".

But I'm getting so use to all the gagets, and technology is advancing so rapidly, I was just wondering if any one knew where we can draw the ever blurry line of reality.

I seem to always miss Monk. I think I'd like it too! I just don't have that much time to watch TV.

~Bob
    Hollywood Gift Collections
    www.startowngifts.com

• A Pirate's life for me!

Quote Originally Posted by rstar
    Thanks Hecter! Do they film CSI in Hollywood? My wife and daughter love that show! In fact my daughter wants to be a forensic phsycologist, in part because of the show. I wonder how many kids want to work in that feild because of the show, only to find it is so much fiction?!

CSI makes it look like it takes days or weeks. But sometimes it fast forwards to a court session that is months down the road. But the lab stuff looks like results are sometimes hours to get a result. I work in a lab, but a cosmetic R%D type. When I get a request, it's months before there is a completion.

~Bob

CSI is now filmed at USH. Of course, they do local shots in Vegas to keep things "legit".

• Senior Minion

CSI hardly has any episodes where they don't solve the crime. My Uncle has one, be it for lack of evidence,that will never be solved or proven. Do you ever have any of those Pirate Mickey?

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMickey
    CSI is now filmed at USH. Of course, they do local shots in Vegas to keep things "legit".
    Most of the outdoor shots (non-Strip backgrounds) are done in Santa Clarita or Lancaster.

I try to read the street signs, then guess where they are.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Well, I'll have to watch to see when they film on set and try to get tickets. They'd love it!

~Bob
    Hollywood Gift Collections
    www.startowngifts.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast