Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Today's San Francisco Chronicle slams DCA....

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...KGQIF69S81.DTL

You REALLY need to read the entire article (Click the Link!), but here is a bit of the article...

Let us trace the genesis of Karl's worst nightmare. In the beginning, there was Disney World. Disney World begat Universal Studios. Christians looked upon these theme parks and saw that they were good. And so it was, in the year of our Lord 2001, that Universal Studios begat the Holy Land Experience, a Christian theme park built in the middle of an Orlando, Fla., wasteland described by park founder Marvin Rosenthal as being "full of snakes." ....

Ha-ha, I hear you cry, those dorks. But let those without sin cast the first stone. They've got the Holy Land Experience, we've got Disney's California Adventure. So shut up.
    Last edited by Darkbeer; 01-15-2006 at 11:42 PM.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Re: Today's San Francisco Chronicle slams DCA....

The Holy Land park sounds hideous, but I really want to go.... Has anyone been?
    I think someone has left the shower running ...
    --Tiki Bird Jose

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

There is a Christian based theme park? The last Christian park I heard of was Jim Bakers one.

• Once more, with feeling!

Under the blue and pink tarps of the French Market

What about Ned Flander's park?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Ugh. Sounds disgusting.

What a complete kill-joy to see Jesus die every hour at a theme park. Theme parks should be fun, not church. Kind of makes me sick. Eh, who knows though - I'm just some jaded non-practicing Catholic over here.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

I'm stuck in jaded non-practicing Catholic mode too...

The park sounds scary.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Aside from laughing at the DCA reference...YIKES! Speaking as a Christian, I must say that seldom have I ever heard of anything so embarassingly stupid. I remember hearing of the Baker's (it WAS them, wasn't it?) Bible land thing back in the 80's...and happy Christian music would wake people up in the morning, and they would go out and buy little apostle dolls and so forth.

There's just something WRONG with that whole image, and a good chunk of it has to do with the commercialization of who Jesus was and what he did while he was here. In this case, the commercialization of the Old Testament.

The main philosophical question I have is....If Jesus were to return today...would you find him in the "Holy Land Experience?" What would he think of people making a tidy profit on "Holy Land" merchandice?

If he drove the money changers out of the temple while he was here, what do you think will happen to THIS place?

Can you say "Category five hurricane?"

The Web-site for The Holy Land Experience says that the establishment is not-for-profit and is a living-history museum designed to minister to people visiting the Orlando area.

I don't really find the idea offensive. Replicating ancient Jerusalem for Christians actually seems quite reasonable to me. Disney, at one time, toyed with the idea of an Israel pavillion in World Showcase, too. Moreover, most of the places that H.L.E. re-creates have been lost in antiquity, so the design seems relatively tasteful.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 01-16-2006 at 02:40 AM.

First of all the article is from 2001, it is a reprint. Secondly the chronicle is a bigoted newspaper. There is nothing wrong with having a Biblical themed park with family entertainment and religious themes. There are plenty of religious people in this country that this sort of park appeals to. If you do not like it then obviously it is not a park that you would want to go to, but please don't condemn those people who enjoy a Biblical themed park. I happen to think it is a great idea and I am not a Christian nor very religious. Frankly I am sick and tired of people condemning anything to do with Christianity. The SF chronicle nor most of the Christian bashing folks would dare not bash Islam or African American culture yet find it perfectly acceptable to bash Christianity and those who represent it or practice it at every possible opportunity. (I am speaking in general terms regarding modern media and many of the more liberal schools and cities such as San Francisco and Berkely and not suggesting that people who have posted on this thread are "Bashing Christianity") Just venting after reading this article.

• white and nerdy

heh... i went there... when I used to live in Orlando... it was on a whim and the tickets were free....

It's kind of like.... well.... It was kind of like a Civil War reenactment, except with bible stuff...

I'm pretty religious, but I didn't .... I don't know it was kind of a wierd place. The people there were a little too keen on the idea of authentic reenactments rather than christianity it'self....... I went because i thought it would be wierd and I was right....

It was kinda cool to see replicas of the temples and what not, but cool in kind of a "this is so blasphmous" way.... the food wasn't so bad though...

The worst part about the park was the people who visted it
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee
    heh... i went there... when I used to live in Orlando... it was on a whim and the tickets were free....

It's kind of like.... well.... It was kind of like a Civil War reenactment, except with bible stuff...

I'm pretty religious, but I didn't .... I don't know it was kind of a wierd place. The people there were a little too keen on the idea of authentic reenactments rather than christianity it'self....... I went because i thought it would be wierd and I was right....

It was kinda cool to see replicas of the temples and what not, but cool in kind of a "this is so blasphmous" way.... the food wasn't so bad though...

The worst part about the park was the people who visted it
    Blasphemous, indeed. I've never been to the park, but I can't see a place like this with live re-enactments of Jesus' crucifixion being in good taste. It seems just unappealing, unorthodox, and just a new breed of strange.

I'm not expecting to get a warm response from my views here, but for some reason, I feel the need to, I guess, vent a little.

I've been a bit put off lately by all of the blatant influx of Christian views in society. It kind of seems like its being shoved down our throat in a way that says "this is right, anything else is wrong" (from billboards, to movies, to politics) rather than spreading the "good word" in a dignified and honourable manner. I don't really associate myself exclusively with any religion, but I grew up Catholic. As I grew older and listened in history classes and read in different pieces of literature, I kind of separated myself from religion as the means to which Christianity was spread seamed very contradictory to what it was meant to teach.

With a themepark such as the one in question, it seems the days of old when murdering those who did not "believe" or making Christianity the law, are past and a new method of "teaching" is in place.

Granted, there are many noble Christians out there, but I feel having a themepark with live re-enactments of the manger scene during the holidays or hourly crucifixions is just completely tasteless and demeaning to the lessons the bible was meant to teach.

Maybe its different when you see it in person, but I can't imagine watching any sort of crucifixion re-enactment to be deeply gratifying in an entertainment setting. Even the Passion of the Christ was a a bit too much, granted it was a great film, but as a tool to teach the Holy message - a bit too much if you ask me.

Nevertheless, I suppose I can't fully condemn or praise anything until I've experienced it. So I guess I my judgement is null and void until I actually go to the place - but that will probably never happen.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Can't be all bad, the "Jerusalem Gold" annual pass is only $69. Tho, the place is closed on Sundays, which makes no sense, for a Bible-themed land.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

If you are a big Holy Land Experience fan, I hope you will not take offense at my opinion above. My reaction is more towards "Heritage USA" back in the 1980's. A bible based theme park just hits me as strange to begin with, and if it were done for profit, that's were it strikes me as just plain wrong. If "Holy Land Experience" is meant as a non profit museum, and doesn't include a Mt. Sinai roller coaster or a Noah's Ark version of Splash Mountain, then maybe I'm being a bit too hasty with my words. There's still something about the idea that strikes me as out of whack, but if they are operating the park as part of a ministry, I guess I need to calm down and let them do their own thing. I were to go, I could see myself having the same reaction as Thejoshualee. But to each his own. I think it was the "Milk and Honey" ice cream and stuffed camels that set me off.

• Now in Texas!

Okay, now you've piqued my curiosity, and the history-channel-loving side of me might just have to go and see this place the next time I'm in Florida. I'd love to tour the real Holy Land, but that would be dangerous and a lot more expensive. And I'm not surprised they're closed on Sundays...who would they get to come to work on Sunday mornings?

But...as a liberal-leaning Christian, I think the other patrons there might scare me to death, and leave a nasty imprint on my kids.

I wonder how much I'd have to de-program them after this? I bet a week at Disney World would do it!

Sue in Sacramento

• Minion

I think even Christians should be a little alarmed when their church tithings are spent on theme parks. Not that there shouldn't be Christian theme parks. But they should be built by and run by private enterprise, not the church itself like Bakker did. Whatever. It seems SOME(not all) Christians are becoming more combative, more narrow minded, and more willing to seperate from the rest of society. They need there own version of everything, so they can be sheltered from all of the rest of us evil doers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast