Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Wall Steet Journal report of Disney buying Pixar - 1/19/05 [Discussion]

Al Lutz placed a link in the News section this morning of a Marketwatch article.

I found an update at Bloomberg.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...ESpVU&refer=us

Shares of Pixar, the creator of computer-animated movies including 'Toy Story'' and 'Finding Nemo,'' may rise after the Wall Street Journal reported the company is in talks to be bought by Walt Disney Co.

Pixar gained to the equivalent of $59.78 at 10:53 a.m. in Germany in trading of 400 shares, up 4 percent from yesterday's close on the Nasdaq Stock Market. The deal being discussed calls for a purchase price of slightly more than Pixar's current $6.7 billion market value, the newspaper said, citing people familiar with the negotiations.

Pixar Chief Executive Officer Steve Jobs would become the largest individual Disney shareholder and likely join the board of Burbank, California-based Disney, the newspaper said. A Disney spokeswoman in London, Joyce Lorigan, said the company had no immediate comment on the report. Pixar couldn't immediately be reached for comment.

A deal isn't certain, as the talks are at a 'sensitive'' stage and the two sides are still 'haggling'' over price, the Wall Street Journal said. The parties could still settle on a smaller arrangement, such as an agreement for Disney to distribute Pixar movies, the newspaper said. The deal would be an all-stock transaction, the Journal said.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Banned User

Re: Wall Steet Journal report of Disney buying Pixar - 1/19/05 [Discussion]

so much for disney animation.

• Rally Time!

i thought the most interesting aspect would be Steve Jobs would be Disney's largest shareholder - wow! i wonder what he magic could bring to Disneyland!

Steve Jobs as Disney CEO, any one?
    a friend of Walt.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Thank you Roy Disney!!!!! It all makes so much sense.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Gepetto 2

Target: DCA. :-)

Cool.

A ditto Thank you Roy! As well as Mr. Iger for 'getting it'.
    Will be most interesting to follow this one!

Doug
    http://SpookyBook.com
    'Scary Dark Rides' Now in Hard & Soft Cover!
    The ONLY Dark Ride Book.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disney jones
    i thought the most interesting aspect would be Steve Jobs would be Disney's largest shareholder - wow! i wonder what he magic could bring to Disneyland!

Maybe not CEO...at least not right away. Good chance he'll be a Disney Board member, however. Possibly Chairman given that spot is now vacant. How cool would that be?!

• Minion

First off I think Steve Jobs is one of the most in important people of 20th century in business. In the book and the Made for TNT movie "Pirates of the Silcone Valley", it tells the tales of war between Bill Gates and Steve Jobs. It also shows how crazy he was. Then again arent Most Genius's? He almost ran Apple into the ground and then again he was the guy who saved Apple the second time around. With the invention of the IPOD and the NEW intel Mac. He has turned Apple into a buy stock again. Apple has posted profits beyond what the Stock Traders had projected. I think Apple turned a 3.8 billion dollar earnings for 2005. It makes you think If Steve Jobs would have controling the most stock options at Disney, would he be in different then Eisner?? If he ran Disney like he runs Apple now, then we are in for a E-ticket ride!
    Jason

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    Thank you Roy Disney!!!!! It all makes so much sense.
    Dusty is truly a sage.

Imagine the potential for change. And I'm talkin' the real stuff. Not some silicone-laden melons of management, adorned with little MBA mortar board tassle pasties, designed only to tease and titillate the investor community, like a 1970's Times Square peep show. The potential for Disney to turn the corner and regain the ground it's lost during the past decade is clearly evident. Especially with regards to Glendale.

Remember way back last summer, around mid-August, when a certain Pixar Art Director was given an after-hours DL birthday bash, hosted by a certain Sr VP from WDI? (cue melmel's entrance )

Gee... ya think there might have been some kind of handshaking goin' on? I sure hope so. Rumor has it that Sklar's contract is up this year.

Dare to dream!

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by Redsix
    In the book and the Made for TNT movie "Pirates of the Silcone Valley", it tells the tales of war between Bill Gates and Steve Jobs.
    I thought that was about Anna Nicole Smith?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Oh man. I love good news!
    Last edited by MasterGracey; 01-19-2006 at 10:55 AM.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Rock Star Minion

JHM has a different opinion about Steve Jobs. Find the link yourself, though.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Smile Re: Wall Steet Journal report of Disney buying Pixar - 1/19/05 [Discussion]

Yes INDEED THIS IS INCREDIBLE NEWS!!!!!!

Here is my bet (speculation although I could be wrong) on what might happen:

Disney and Pixar merge.

Jobs becomes chairman of the board and majority stock-holder meaning he outweighs Eisner! (which BTW would be SO FINE! IMHO)

John Lassetter President of the WDC!

Bob Iger CEO with a disolved strategic planning unit and letting little Walts in the company be little Walts!!!!

WOW!!!!

Thank you Roy!!!
    Last edited by wem1985; 01-19-2006 at 10:58 AM.

• Donald's #1 Fan

Quote Originally Posted by disney jones

Uh... people...?

This is Disney buying Pixar, not the other way around.

This could be a tragedy. Disney's idiocy could destroy the company we all know and love.

The way I see things, in a couple of years, Pixar could buy Disney. Let's face it - everything coming out of the company these last years has been a crushing disappointment. The only thing that keeps the company going is Walt's legacy. They are living on borrowed time.

I don't think Steve Jobs gives a rat's behind about Disney's legacy, either. Let's get real. He's a businessman - not a man like Walt.

Leave Pixar alone....!

•   
    • Minion

Bringing Jobs would mark the need for a forced culture change... I would like to see Jobs as chairman... The position is to be vacated by Mr. Mitchel... I do not see any reason why it could not be so...

If you look at the rhetoric that has come out of Iger, he was pointing to being much more technology friendly... If this is the case, having Jobs on board as a major investor makes perfect sense.

However, this comes with a price... And that price is a culture change... Because I don't think Jobs will stand for the way the company worked under Eisner... Even in the role of Chairman or as the largest stockholder...

The trouble is, I believe most of what is said in the media about the merger is still speculative...

But wouldn't it be great, and in Steve Jobs fashion, if such a deal would be announced in Anaheim during the annual shareholder meeting?

Gulp... I wouldn't miss that meeting for all the tea in china... The question is can they keep it a secrite till March...
    Check out my other blog:

Quote Originally Posted by fjhuerta
    Uh... people...?

This is Disney buying Pixar, not the other way around.

This could be a tragedy. Disney's idiocy could destroy the company we all know and love.

The way I see things, in a couple of years, Pixar could buy Disney. Let's face it - everything coming out of the company these last years has been a crushing disappointment. The only thing that keeps the company going is Walt's legacy. They are living on borrowed time.

I don't think Steve Jobs gives a rat's behind about Disney's legacy, either. Let's get real. He's a businessman - not a man like Walt.

Leave Pixar alone....!

Well it's so nice that we can all have different opinions and still love one another!

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast