• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Good Night, And Good Luck special event

MONDAY, FEBRUARY 6, 8:00 PM--AFI AWARDS Screening Series presented by Audi at the ArcLight Theatres in Hollywood

GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK.
    2005 90 MIN 35MM
    DIR George Clooney SCR George Clooney, Grant Heslov CAST David Straithaim, George Clooney, Jeff Daniels, Frank Langella, Robert Downey, Jr., Patricia Clarkson

Nominated for a Golden Globe for Best Screenplay, GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK is a refreshingly spare reflection on a controversial and difficult time in the 1950s--the Joe McCarthy red-baiting era and the birth of network news. . Brilliantly choreographed and co-written by director George Clooney, the film tells the story of pioneering broadcaster Edward R. Murrow's struggle to report on repercussions of the government's hearings, under the watchful gaze of an anxious corporate parent. Clooney's ingenious use of archival footage adds to the sense of fear and incredulity the public felt when these events were unfolding. And the film's greatest contribution may be to remind today's audiences of the current American news landscape.

Q&A to follow screening with Golden Globe nominated screenwriter Grant Heslov.

TICKETS
    AFI at ArcLight
    Tickets are $11, $10 for ArcLight, AFI and Skirball members, including $2 parking for four hours. To order advance tickets, go to www.arclightcinemas.com, call 323.464.4226 or visit ArcLight Hollywood's box office at 6360 W Sunset Blvd. (at Ivar). Admission prices may vary depending on event.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Re: Good Night, And Good Luck special event

Good Night and Good Luck

Best Picture Winner: National Board of Review

Critics' Quotes
    "An electrifying movie event!"
    Peter Travers / ROLLING STONE

"Smart, sharp, and lively."
    Owen Gleiberman / ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY

Synopsis:
    "Good Night, and Good Luck" takes place during the early days of broadcast journalism in 1950's America. It chronicles the real-life conflict between television newsman Edward R. Murrow, Senator Joseph McCarthy and the House Un-American Activities Committee. With a desire to report the facts and enlighten the public, Murrow, and his dedicated staff, headed by his producer Fred Friendly and Joe Wershba in the CBS newsroom, examine the lies and scaremongering tactics perpetrated by McCarthy during his communist 'witch-hunts'. In this climate of fear and reprisal, the CBS crew carries on and their tenacity will prove historic and monumental.

Compelling DVD Extras: Deleted scenesCommentary with George Clooney and Grant Heslov

AVAILABLE TO OWN ON DVD MARCH 14, 2006

"If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd
    MONDAY, FEBRUARY 6, 8:00 PM--AFI AWARDS Screening Series presented by Audi at the ArcLight Theatres in Hollywood

GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK.
    2005 90 MIN 35MM
    DIR George Clooney SCR George Clooney, Grant Heslov CAST David Straithaim, George Clooney, Jeff Daniels, Frank Langella, Robert Downey, Jr., Patricia Clarkson

Q&A to follow screening with Golden Globe nominated screenwriter Grant Heslov.
    Well this was a fabulous event. The sold out crowd really enjoyed the film and Grant's post-screening Q&A. Tonight he shared the secrets to writing a successful award-winning screenplay, as he did Friday at the Santa Barbara Film Festival, here goes:
    -drink
    -eat alot of food
    -helps to have a movie star as your partner

• Huh?

Finally saw this Saturday night.

I was bored to tears.

I really don't mind movies like that, usually. And it's a great subject, I really wanted to like it. Shot in a very intersting way.

I dunno... I guess I found the documentary aspect to go a little bit too far.
    -Tim

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Sorry you didn't seem to enjoy it. I'm a little confused by the documentary comment, perhaps you're referencing the archival footage used. Robert Elswit's gorgeous photography is a pleasure to behold. (Someone told me last night that he is Jake Gyllenhaal's grandfather).

I've heard other people dicuss the fact that the entire film takes place indoors, maybe you got a bit claustrophobic. At only a running time of 90 minutes hopefully it wasn't too much of an interior overload for you.

• Huh?

I'm not talking about the archival footage...

I'm meaning the entire movie. It was shot like a documentary. The interiors added to that, but so did the lack of any music (unless it was being performed live nearby). I really didn't mind the way it was shot or such...

It really was shot as if they were filming the actual people as the events unfolded -- which was VERY believable most of the time (this is one of the few period films that made me think that they went back in time to film). The only complaint in the actors choice I would have is the inclusion of George Clooney as part of the cast. I dunno -- he seemed to pull me out of the period and remind me too much that this was a recent movie, not archival footage. I really think it would've worked better overall if he stayed behind the camera.

To be fair, I did see this at a midnight showing, so that could've been the problem. It's definately not a midnight movie. Too much of a dialogue-based film with no to little action for such late at night.

I did find the photography to be wonderful, though... except one scene where nothing was in focus, I didn't care much for that.

I probably need to get another viewing of it at some point. Like I said, this is a film that I *really* wanted to like, so I need to give it another chance at some point.
    -Tim