• Iron-Clad Allie

Poll - All Talk Of Disney-Pixar Split Was Bunk

Hooray! Few things delight me more than news of Disney's eminent of Pixar, with a deal that may be cut as early as Monday. There are three articles regarding the subject ar the top of MiceAge, in case you haven't noticed. Cars will definitely not be the final Disney-Pixar feature film.

I have always prredicted that the two companies would remain together. The two have achieved too much success together in relationship to mivies, theme park rides and shows, as well as merchandise sales. Eisner was the only ogre that was standing in the way, but giants do fall.

Steve Jobs is the walt Disney of today's era of hi-tech and multi-media entertainment. Pixar, Apple Computer, iPod - you've gottta love him. I believe that his Disney shares and his magical skills will place him in the President's seat 0 if he wants it. what do you think.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Re: Poll - All Talk Of Disney-Pixar Split Was Bunk

I think the Disney-Pixar split was genuine. Pixar (rightly) wanted a bigger piece of the pie for the movies they created and Disney (Eisner) said "no way." It's the same kind of stubbornness and greed that drove away the Weinsteins and Miramax as well. I think Iger deserves credit for mending fences and making a merger not only viable, but potentially lucrative for all parties concerned.

• Minion

ORWEN: Plus it means that Woody, Buzz, Mike, Sulley and all the rest of the Pixar characters can--eventually--become official Disney characters--instead of just being distant cousins of the already established Disney family.

• Minion

The Disney*Pixar merge seems like a double-edged sword. On one hand, films have been enormously successful, a lot more so than Disney's. They're highly original and emulate Walt's vision of using story to be the backbone of a film and technology to be the innovative element.

However, I don't want to keep seeing all these Pixar rides at the parks. Even the characters seem out of place in context to Disney's characters. Proud to see it happen, but a little bit worried at the way Disney will (over)use the brand.

• no flash photography...

change is good...it doesn't bother me to see pixar rides or characters in the park...

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    The Disney*Pixar merge seems like a double-edged sword. On one hand, films have been enormously successful, a lot more so than Disney's. They're highly original and emulate Walt's vision of using story to be the backbone of a film and technology to be the innovative element.

However, I don't want to keep seeing all these Pixar rides at the parks. Even the characters seem out of place in context to Disney's characters. Proud to see it happen, but a little bit worried at the way Disney will (over)use the brand.
    I echo your sentiments and share your concerns, Soulquarian. Hopefully, Disney will find a way to balance it;s attractions and "lands" wth respect to CG and traditional 2-D animated characters. Even Chicken Little is somewhat out of sorts compared to Disney's 2-D world.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 01-21-2006 at 03:42 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• șoș Tom șoș

I suppose Disney's challange will be to reinvegorate its own 2d traditional animation department over the next decade, rather than trying to hatch all there egg's in the Chicken Little basket- which was one messy omlette if you ask me, sorry just a little yoke, I mean joke.

No seriously though, it would behoove Disney to abandon their own attempts at 3d computer cartoons and go back and try to reinvest in traditional animation.

The first task of this process is two fold- to get the old gang back together again- the writing staff. I believe Soulquarian is right the backbone of all the great Disney classics has been story and Disney has lost that edge and it will require a major meeting of minds to restore it. Honestly in my opinion I think they should hold a weekend conference and ask some of the top minds to consult on the issue. Find some of the men who built the House of Mouse, some of the men who reinvented the house in the late 80s/90s with Lil Mermaid, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast and Lion King. Also Iger has contact with the two men who started Lost and Desperate Housewives, if I were him, I might start with there opinions as well.

The second task is to pair a great story with good music. The classics were not just classic because of the look and story, the music sold you on the universe it existed in. I would warrent to say I have not fallen in love with the music of a Disney animated film since almost all the way back to Lion King. A few movies have had stand out singles but not an overall wave of music. I would even warrent to say that may be the reason some people dislike Pixar films - good story but only one good song.

Disney animated films are palatable musicals in a sense, they fll us with hope of magic, right and wrong, good and evil, imagination, beauty and truth. If Iger can post those on a sticky note and slap it on the head of every writer, composer and animator we might just see a return to the glory days!-Tom