• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

The Da Vinci Code to open Cannes

The Da Vinci Code to Open Cannes
    Source: The Hollywood Reporter
    January 23, 2006

Ron Howard's The Da Vinci Code will open the 59th Festival de Cannes on May 17, two days before the film is released worldwide. The movie will be released in France the same day.

Based on Dan Brown's bestseller and produced by Brian Grazer and John Calley for Columbia Pictures and Imagine Entertainment, the film, which will be screened out of competition at Cannes, stars Tom Hanks, Jean Reno, Audrey Tautou, Ian McKellen, Alfred Molina and Paul Bettany.

The book has sold more than 30 million copies in about 40 languages
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Sock Puppet

Re: The Da Vinci Code to open Cannes

I'm very curious to see how this movie will be marketed. If it's promoted as just a story/mystery, I think it would be great. However, if the marketers even suggest anything about it is a "true story", or "inspired by actual events", they're going to have a reall problem on their hands.

By now, many people know that the whole "Priory of Scion" think was a complete hoax. Therefore, I don't think the studio should try to advertise the movie as true like the book was.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

It's not a documentary, just a movie based on the book by Dan Brown.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Sock Puppet

Yes, I'm aware it's not a documentary. I know it's a movie directed by Ron Howard and starring Tom Hanks. I also read the book which states in the beginning that "Priory of Scion is a real organization...", which simply isn't true. I'm hoping the movie doesn't claim the same thing.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Buck
    Yes, I'm aware it's not a documentary. I know it's a movie directed by Ron Howard and starring Tom Hanks. I also read the book which states in the beginning that "Priory of Scion is a real organization...", which simply isn't true. I'm hoping the movie doesn't claim the same thing.
    Well they were. One faded out existence centuries ago and the other was French anarchists with a thing for forging documents. Slight technicalities if you ask me. But I think it will depend on how much control Dan Brown has, he still seems pretty much like he stands by what he wrote, unlike the authors of Holy Blood, Holy Grail.

I enjoyed the book and I'm looking forward to the film. At the end of the day it's a piece of fiction. That's what novels are. Dan Brown is smart. He wrote a book he knew would push peoples buttons. And he wrote it in such a way that would make it look like what he says may be true. And then people will challenge it and the sheep will buy the book to see what all the fuss is about. Me being one of those sheep

The result? Well, how many years has this book been out and it is STILL a bestseller? Now being made into a major blockbuster film! Good for him!

And if you are a person who is going to argue about how Dan Brown is trying to make people think that certain aspects of his novel is actully true. And that he is the devel and all this stuff, then I have one thing to say to you.

SUCKER!

• Minion

And I refer you all to "Holy Blood Holy Grail" which was a controversial best seller in the early '80s and which Mr. Brown owes a great deal of thanks to for information and inspiration.

I wonder if Dan Brown reads message boards. I wonder when he reads some dude talking about how the is book crap and that the Priory is phony, if he whispers with a smile, "Cha Ching" to himself.