• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

The WB and UPN TV Networks to Cease Operations in September 2006

Big changes, as a new network, the "CW" is going to be created. In the LA area, Channel 5 will carry the network, and Channel 13 will become an independent.

Here is a link to the press release.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060124/nytu143.html?.v=43
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• șoș Tom șoș

Re: The WB and UPN TV Networks to Cease Operations in September 2006

CBS, Warner Bros. forming new TV network

UPN, The WB to cease operations; new broadcaster to go live in fall

Updated: 12:21 p.m. ET Jan. 24, 2006

NEW YORK - CBS Corp. and Time Warner Inc.’s Warner Bros. said Tuesday they will close their respective UPN and WB networks, and jointly launch a new channel in fall 2006.
    The new CW network will be a 50-50 joint venture of the two companies.
    The companies expect the station to reach 95 percent of the country.
    Story continues below ↓ advertisement ad_dap(250,300,'&PG=NBCMSB&AP=1089');

Tribune Co. said its 16 UPN broadcast stations signed 10-year affiliate agreements with the new network. Similarly, CBS said its 12 UPN stations signed 10-year affiliate deals.
    The two station groups reach 48 percent of the country. The companies expect the remainder of the affiliates to come from a combination of WB and UPN stations.
    The CW will use The WB’s current scheduling model, which consists of Monday through Friday nights from 8-10 p.m. ET; Sundays from 7-10 p.m. ET; Sunday from 5-7 p.m. ET outside of primetime. It will also include a Monday through Friday afternoon block from 3-5 p.m. ET and a 5-hour Saturday morning animation block.
    The surprise news of the merger comes as the WB Network has faced pressure to perform and prove itself as a strategic asset at a time when its parent company Time Warner is under intense scrutiny on Wall Street and from maverick investor Carl Icahn.
    Time Warner has struggled with the WB’s financials since the network was launched in January 1995 because of its lack of TV station holdings, which are the primary revenue drivers for broadcast networks.
    Sources told the Hollywood Reporter that UPN president Dawn Ostroff will oversee the combined venture, and that WB Network chairman Garth Ancier and WB entertainment president David Janollari would depart their posts.
    Time Warner president and chief operating officer Jeff Bewkes said at a recent investor conference that the WB has done only “medium,” had a slight loss in 2005 and needs more hits and better affiliate relationships. He also signaled that management would focus on addressing these issues in 2006.
    The significance of this is HUGE!!! The few decent programming options from UPN will be poured into the psuedo WB network and strengthen them, and diminsh there competition. It will also give WB access to the CBS news juggernaut, as well as the Viacom library which includes MTV. This move will give Fox a run for its money and even NBC will have to fight to stay number 3.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

As long as my Gilmore girls remains I dont care.

• Banned User

the wb was in a cost cutting mode since the fall season began. Icahn wants to break up time warner into 4 separate companies and he has been pressuring them to do so since august. that is why 7th heaven was canned eventhough it still gets good ratings and why shows like charmed and everwood probably wont be back. the only thing i watch on upn is veronica mars. the shows that are going t oget hurt are the african american sitcoms, because they won't fit into the program model of a network trying to compete with the big 4. It's a shame really, but who knows maybe a cable channel will pick up some of the shows let go.

• Circle of Ancients

As long as I still get Gilmore Girls and Supernatural I will be okay.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

I'm hoping Veronica Mars somehow stays in the mix. One of the best shows on tv.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo
    there is a good chance.. if it was a good ratings on UPN, it's in the CW, if it's good in the ratigns for WB it's on the CW...

in the Tampa market it will be on WTOG 44....

• Rock Star Minion

Well, there goes my "Warner Buys Cap Cities Networks" idea. Guess they got tired of waiting.
    This is a long time coming. Both those "networks" have pretty poor full lineups. Junk the trash, keep the goods, and there might be one reasonable, full lineup.

What it really needs to be is more like a minor-league network for CBS. You know, try a show out on "CW" network. If it catches on, move it to the big league CBS network (with Warners sharing profits), and send down some failing show that has 12 episodes in the can.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Happy Memories

In one of the articles I read they (people announcing the change) specifically named several strong shows which we can assume will be staying. from UPN I believe they mentioned Veronica Mars, Everybody Hates Chris and WWE Smackdown. From WB they mentioned Smallville, Beauty and the Geek and Reba. I'm sure there will be more shows than that making the transition, especially from WB, but those were specifically mentioned so I think they can be assumed as safe.

Of the shows I was once hooked on, only Smallville remains. So as long as i can still get that fix in my weekly schedule I'll be content.

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo
    Ditto! I imagine it will as Xharryb says since it's one of UPN's strongest shows.

• Huh?

Well, this should make things simpler for a lot of areas...

In many areas, like mine, the WB and the UPN stations were the same. WWHO 53 became WB 53 when the WB was created. And then UPN came in and the closest affiliate to air here was in Cleveland, so it only got on cable stations, if you're lucky. But then WWHO got UPN and kept the WB lineup -- lots of scheduling conflicts there! UPN 53 got the UPN/WB 53 Logo done... and the rest is a general chaos.

To add into the mix, they got their news from the local Fox affiliate....

So, UPN/WB with a splash of Fox....

CW 53 should make things much more simpler.
    -Tim

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by Xharryb
    In one of the articles I read they (people announcing the change) specifically named several strong shows which we can assume will be staying. from UPN I believe they mentioned Veronica Mars, Everybody Hates Chris and WWE Smackdown. From WB they mentioned Smallville, Beauty and the Geek and Reba. I'm sure there will be more shows than that making the transition, especially from WB, but those were specifically mentioned so I think they can be assumed as safe.

Of the shows I was once hooked on, only Smallville remains. So as long as i can still get that fix in my weekly schedule I'll be content.
    Obviously the Aquaman spin off show will land on the new CW network as well as Smallville.

I would also keep an eye on the Gilmore Girls spin off show my the writer producer Amy Sheridn Pallidano (sp?) as well as the original show.

Other shows that will likely follow like Supernatural (very high ratings) What I Like About You, One Tree Hill, etc.

It will also mean that this spring it will give the new network more buying power and budgets for pilots so expect a new slew of higher end programming

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

As long as I don't lose my KTLA Morning News.
    -Monorail Man

• Old Timer

I have had Dishnetwork for many years now and I paid to be able to see east and west coast affilate stations like ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox plus UPN as I live in Alaska and where I live I can barely get local antannae tv and satellite did not offer local rebroadcasting, well a couple of years ago Dishnetwork started showing local stations but the FCC said I had to lose my other stations like UPN out of the Los Angelos area because it was a thing that I would see only local advertising.

What it did however was to limit me to a UPN station in Anchorage that did NOT broadcast the WB shows and I am a fan of Smallville. So no more Smallville unless I wait for the whole season DVD set and then my family has a Smallville marathon for several days but we are always a year late.
    Hopefully this means I get to see it again on its regular broadcast night.
    Micechat member # 98

TARDIS
    "Time And Relative Dimension In Space."