View Poll Results: Would you rather see the Stones or Motown at Halftime?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rolling Stones (who will be performing)

1 20.00%
  • Tribute to Motown (Stevie Wonder, Supremes, etc)

3 60.00%
  • Other/don't care

1 20.00%

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

No Motown At Detroit Super Bowl???

I admit I'm not the biggest Rolling Stones fan in the world...but wouldn't it make sense, with the game being played in Detroit, to have a Motown tribute theme for the halftime show?
    Remaining members of the Supremes, Four Tops, Aretha Franklin, Stevie Wonder,etc??? I'd rather see them than Mick Jagger, anytime.
    This is Detroit's second Super Bowl. Did they do the Motown thing in 1982? Don't remember.
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 01-24-2006 at 03:14 PM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Circle of Ancients

Re: No Motown At Detroit Super Bowl???

I agree Barry.

I'm not a big fan of the Stones either although I did see them at the Rose Bowl in 1993 and they put on a good show. I'm just upset that because of the whole Janet Jackson thing they are afraid to put anything on Halftime other than has beens.

But I think the Motown thing (Mainly Stevie Wonder) would have been terrific.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    I agree Barry.

I'm not a big fan of the Stones either although I did see them at the Rose Bowl in 1993 and they put on a good show. I'm just upset that because of the whole Janet Jackson thing they are afraid to put anything on Halftime other than has beens.

But I think the Motown thing (Mainly Stevie Wonder) would have been terrific.
    Come to think of it, I would think that the first Detroit Super Bowl - in Pontiac, Michigan - would hold a special place in your heart...49ers first Super Bowl win...with a former LA Ram favorite of mine, Jack "Hacksaw" Reynolds making the big goal line stand...not to stray too far off the thread topic, but I always felt the 49er defense didn't get the credit it deserved in the 80's...Ronnie Lott was just as important as Joe Montana (maybe)??
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

With Berry Gordy in Beverly Hills for years now and today there's even less Motown in Motown...

Motown Center Torn Down
    By Kimberly Craig
    Web produced by Sarah Morgan
    January 24, 2006

The Motown Center stood on Woodward from 1968 until 1972 and Tuesday crews began knocking down the building to make way for the Super Bowl.
    Motown’s second headquarters, what Barry Gordy called the ‘Motown Center,’ housed offices and recording studios.
    The building was vacant for decades and now Ferguson Enterprises is in charge of tearing it down.
    Bobby Ferguson, of Ferguson Enterprises, said, "We work for the city of Detroit and Motown. They hired us to knock down the museum, the old Motown museum basically because it was an eye sore and they wanted to get it ready for the Super Bowl."
    As the building was being torn down, papers blew out into the street. These documents included recording schedules for The Supremes and the Vandellas and business reports for Gladys Knight and the Pips.
    "A lot of history going down the street, requests for equipment, recording documents. I found an envelope that belonged to Stevie Wonder, a manila envelope. It just blowing all over the place, blocks around," said one bystander. Ferguson said knocking down a building usually takes about two months, but in two weeks there will be a parking lot where the Motown Center stood.

The Stones are a huge corporate entity as is the Super Bowl, enjoy the commercials!
    Most of the Motown acts no longer actually exist having lost various members over the years to bad business, behavior, health or unfortunately death. Thankfully the real Motown story lives on...
    In 1959, Berry Gordy gathered the best musicians from Detroit's thriving jazz and blues scene to begin cutting songs for his new record company. Over a fourteen year period they were the heartbeat on "My Girl," "Bernadette," I Was Made to Love Her," and every other hit from Motown's Detroit era.

B
    y the end of their phenomenal run, this unheralded group of musicians had played on more number ones hits than the Beach Boys, the Rolling Stones, Elvis and the Beatles combined - which makes them the greatest hit machine in the history of popular music. They called themselves the Funk Brothers.
    read more at http://www.standingintheshadowsofmotown.com/index.htm

Last edited by ALIASd; 01-24-2006 at 03:51 PM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd
    With Berry Gordy in Beverly Hills for years now and today there's even less Motown in Motown...

Motown Center Torn Down
    By Kimberly Craig
    Web produced by Sarah Morgan
    January 24, 2006

The Motown Center stood on Woodward from 1968 until 1972 and Tuesday crews began knocking down the building to make way for the Super Bowl.
    Motown’s second headquarters, what Barry Gordy called the ‘Motown Center,’ housed offices and recording studios.
    The building was vacant for decades and now Ferguson Enterprises is in charge of tearing it down.
    Bobby Ferguson, of Ferguson Enterprises, said, "We work for the city of Detroit and Motown. They hired us to knock down the museum, the old Motown museum basically because it was an eye sore and they wanted to get it ready for the Super Bowl."
    As the building was being torn down, papers blew out into the street. These documents included recording schedules for The Supremes and the Vandellas and business reports for Gladys Knight and the Pips.
    "A lot of history going down the street, requests for equipment, recording documents. I found an envelope that belonged to Stevie Wonder, a manila envelope. It just blowing all over the place, blocks around," said one bystander. Ferguson said knocking down a building usually takes about two months, but in two weeks there will be a parking lot where the Motown Center stood.

How very,very sad,tragic and incomprehensible.
    I guess they're having a gala to raise funds for the Motown Museum, headlined by Smokey Robinson - but still, they should have done something to preserve the building - and they should be playing on Super Sunday.
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 01-24-2006 at 04:04 PM.

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Actually this isn't entirely true. Apparently several Motown acts will be appearing during the pre-game. I know for sure that Stevie Wonder will appear and Arethra Franklin will be doing the National Anthem (along with Aaron Nevillle).

And we don't know what the Stones are going to do at Halftime. Who's not to say that they won't bring up some Motown legends and do a medley or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• Reaver of Souls

I don't see how any old building can be considered more of an eyesore than Steven Tyler or Mick Jagger...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• Rock Star Minion

I go to a friend's house where another friend's son's band plays at halftime. Much more entertaining.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BDBopper
    Actually this isn't entirely true. Apparently several Motown acts will be appearing during the pre-game. I know for sure that Stevie Wonder will appear and Arethra Franklin will be doing the National Anthem (along with Aaron Nevillle).
    Good to know...and I didn't know that before....thank you.