Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

It's College Basketball time!

I'm surprised we don't have a college basketball thread already. Talk about your favorite teams here, March Madness is only a few weeks away.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Rock Star Minion

Re: It's College Basketball time!

Wake me when the games that count start. Thursday March 16, I think. No, that play-in game doesn't count, either.
    I have an invite to go to Salt Lake City for the first-round games. I went last year to Tucson, which was pretty fun.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

My dad went to the games in Tucson last year as well. There's nothing I love more than being at the first and second round games, well any of the games in the tournament actually, just a great atmosphere.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

March Madness is just around the corner! WHoooohooo!

GREAT games last weekend! Duke lost a heart breaker. Uconn still looks strong, though maybe not at strong as last year. UCLA looks decent this year, although West Virginia was amazing last week. I'm a UConn fan by association. I graduated from Cal State Long Beach and they've been to the big dance like...um....once. (Go Big West ! ) But I work with a hard core UConn fan who paid huge $$$ to go to the final four two years ago in San Antonio. It's fun to watch him get wound up about his precious Huskies.

But it's all about March Madness. Nothing in the NBA can compare.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan
    I graduated from Cal State Long Beach and they've been to the big dance like...um....once. (Go Big West ! )

But it's all about March Madness. Nothing in the NBA can compare.
    I work at a Big West school, go 'Eaters!! the Big West Tournament is actually pretty fun plus it's in Anaheim at the convention center. I highly recommend any local college basketball fans to go to the tournament, many local schools participating.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anders
    I work at a Big West school, go 'Eaters!! the Big West Tournament is actually pretty fun plus it's in Anaheim at the convention center. I highly recommend any local college basketball fans to go to the tournament, many local schools participating.
    I am a proud Cal State Fullerton grad - anyone else remember the Cal State Who? team of 1978? (I was attending CSUF during that magical time.) Seems impossible to believe now that the Titans came within three points of making it to the Final Four, staying in longer than UCLA that year.
    In the late 70's...Fullerton-Long Beach State games were played at the Convention Center and Long Beach Arena...drawing crowds of 10,000 at one point. Great memories.
    Now I get my chance to crow about my Titans during the College World Series.
    Back to hoops - the NBA's regular season bores me to tears now, and for the most part the players appear to be bored too.
    There's nothing like March Madness - in person, especially. In 1998 I got to cover as a media member the West Regional Finals at the Pond - Utah upset Arizona that year en route to a championship game loss to Kentucky.
    Who will ever forget some of last year's classics, with the Illinois comeback over Arizona the standout in my mind.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Man O Lantern

[Vitale]My blood runs Carolina blue, bay-by!!![/Vitale]

• insufferable know-it-all

Funny you should bring it up. Talon and I will be going to a Gaucho game in the Thunderdome tomorrow!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Anders
    My dad went to the games in Tucson last year as well. There's nothing I love more than being at the first and second round games, well any of the games in the tournament actually, just a great atmosphere.
    Most of the first-round locations are becoming too big and impersonal. Tucson and this little place in Salt Lake City are nice. Plus, they're out of the way, away from huge basketball-crazy areas.
    Last year, it was great seeing the obnoxious UTEP fans come in their ugly orange, then turnaround and head home after the first game.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    Most of the first-round locations are becoming too big and impersonal. Tucson and this little place in Salt Lake City are nice. Plus, they're out of the way, away from huge basketball-crazy areas.
    Last year, it was great seeing the obnoxious UTEP fans come in their ugly orange, then turnaround and head home after the first game.
    I agree, one my favorite first rounds that I saw in person were in Tempe, around 1992 I think it was. My dad and I flew from Minnesota to go to the tournament, the Ragin' Cajuns and New Mexico State both won in upsets in the first round along with UCLA and one other school.

I went to Kansas City in 1997, which was great being a Golden Gopher fan, but the city was just too big to replicate the atmosphere.

For the record, I'm a Minnesota fan, an Arizona State fan, and of course now a UC Irvine fan.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

ok, conference tournament time starts up next week. March Madness is here, ok I'm a couple days early, but hey I'm excited Both the Big West tournament and the Pac 10 tournament will be held in the local area. Who's going? I'll be at the Big West tournament in Anaheim, see this thread for more info on that tournament. I'll have interest in the Pac 10 tourney as well being an alum of ASU. I know our team sucks this year, I'm hoping for a new coach.

How about the rest of you out there, ACC, SEC, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12 fans out there? how about the mid majors of the world?

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

It's obviously a great year to be a fan of a Big East school, since they could have as many as nine teams headed to the dance.

Duke is obviously going to be a favorite - and Coach K is this generation's equivalent of John Wooden, no doubt about it.

Speaking of Wooden, Ben Howland's doing a nice job of turning the UCLA program around - we'll see how they do in the tournament - don't forget that Steve Lavin, for all his faults, got the Bruins to the Sweet 16, 2-3 times...

One thing is certain...this year's tournament will be hard-pressed to match last year's for thrillers...I'll never forget, for example, that Illinois comeback over Arizona in the regional final...

One request...can we bring back West, Midwest,
    South and East regionals? The way they name the brackets now, with these pods and all, is really confusing.

(I'm a Bruin, and CSUF Titan fan)...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    I'll never forget, for example, that Illinois comeback over Arizona in the regional final...
    one thing you can almost always count on, Arizona losing! Santa Clara, East Tennessee State, Illinois, Miami (OH), Alabama, Oklahoma x 2, Wisconsin, Duke, Kansas, Seton Hall.

sorry, I take a small bit of joy in the Wildcats almost annual failure

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

• I was deleted.

I my Gophers! Even if they are better on the ice then on the court.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan
    I my Gophers! Even if they are better on the ice then on the court.
    Golden Gopher hockey is the best in the country whether it be men's or women's actually, sports illustrated on campus does a weekly overall winter sports ranking of every school and Minnesota finished No. 1 too many times that they decided to stop using them. Women's basketball and wrestling were major help to the hockey teams on that one.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast