Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Know More Than You Should

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda
    6*9=42 in base 13. Let me (try to) explain:

In base-10, the "5" in the number "54" has a base-10 value of "5 multiplied by ten", or 50, thus "6*9=54" is true in base 10. However, the number "4" in the base-13 number "42" has a value of "4 multiplied by 13", or 52. Thusly "42" in base-13 has a base-10 value of 52+2, or 54.

I've never read HGTTG, I had a friend in HIgh School that swore by it, but given my current line of work, the idea of destroying the earth to make way for a hyperspace bypass seems quite appealing .......

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Computer programmers' joke

There is a joke amongst computer programmers that Deep Thought may have had some order of operations issues. The following code in the C programming language defines the macros SIX as "1 + 5" and NINE as "8 + 1", and then performs the computation "SIX * NINE". It returns the answer "42", because "SIX * NINE" is expanded by the computer to "1 + 5 * 8 + 1", and the multiplication takes precedence over the additions. (This occurs because the macro expansion is textual, not logical.)

#include <stdio.h>

#define SIX 1 + 5
    #define NINE 8 + 1

int main(void)
    {
    printf( "What you get if you multiply six by nine: %d\n", SIX * NINE );
    return 0;
    }
    Assuming that this is indeed correct, that means that the meaning of life, the universe and everything would be 42.

Another way to evaluate the answer is:

/*
    * The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
    * The Answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything
    * by Otávio Corrêa Cordeiro
    * echo -e "otavioarrobageek42pontoorg" | sed 's/arroba/@/g;s/ponto/./g'
    */

#include <stdio.h>
    #include <stdlib.h>
    #include <math.h>

#define SIX 1+5
    #define NINE 8+1

int whatDoYouGetWhenYouMultiplySixByNine(void){
    return SIX*NINE;
    }

float deep_thought(int _iter){
    float _answer = 0.0;
    if(_iter >= 1){
    _answer = sqrt((whatDoYouGetWhenYouMultiplySixByNine()-1)
    * whatDoYouGetWhenYouMultiplySixByNine()
    + deep_thought(--_iter));
    }
    return _answer;
    }

int main(int argc, char **argv){
    if (argc != 2){
    printf("Try %s <number of hyper-intelligent pan-dimensional creatures>\n", argv[0]);
    } else {
    printf("Deep Thought said: %f\n", deep_thought(atoi(argv[1])));
    }
    return 0;
    }

With any luck, I have now suceeded in confusing you futher. Oh, and try this: Seach for "the answer to life, the universe and everything" in Google. Guess what the Google calculator returns? 42!

Quote Originally Posted by Momzilla59
    After reading the books, watching the BBC series, playing the text based game....I'm prepared to be disappointed with the movie - Zaphod with only one head? I mean Really!! Of course, I'm a book snob, I'm the one who almost Always says "It was better in the book!"

Will I see it? Of course! How Else can I compare it to the book!

-So Long and Thanks for All the Fish
    No, he has two heads and three arms, you'll see. You don't see them so much in the previews.

• Banned User

Douglas Adams had an ingenious idea for the movie.. (and added a character..)

some where it was interpeted the second head is somewhere else than in the BBC mini-series..... Oh... What books is this movie using??

• LoisAlene

Quote Originally Posted by Club 33
    No, he has two heads and three arms, you'll see. You don't see them so much in the previews.
    Whew! and Thanks!

From the online trailers he really looks like a one head headed freak!

War is over if you want it...

Peace - Love - Mickey Mouse

•   
    • Minion

Whew! and Thanks!

From the online trailers he really looks like a one head headed freak!
    There is a clip showing that the second head is undernieth the first one and pops up on occasion.. I guess it is a way to get around the second head problem they had with the TV series... Most of the film could be shot with one head...

The problem with the movie and the book, is that the story is a bit dated... Earth technology advanced farther than some of the fictional "outerspace technology" that was supposed to be more advanced and was at the time... Like the digital read out on the electronic book as discribed is less advanced than modern PDA's...

In order to get the movie to sell, some of the "tech" needed to be updated, I am certain...

But rest assured, if Douglas Addams was alive today, the film would not be made... Unless it was exactly as Addams pictured it...
    Check out my other blog:

• Vehicle rotating backward

It should be mentioned that "exactly as the book told it" freaks won't enjoy this movie, although it's quite intentional.

Adams changed little things in every rendition of the story, so that the book, BBC radio play, BBC TV program, etc never all match up properly. The movie will have that as well. For instance, due to the way Zaphod's heads are rearranged, he won't be wearing a covered birdcage on it at that one party.

In fact, if what I've seen is true...
    Spoiler
    He has the extra body parts amputated and sold for some information or tool regarding the Improbability Drive.

I do hope this does well enough to continue. I want to see SEP fields, the flying house party that never ends, and the starship with the warp engine that sounds like a hundred thousand people simultaneously saying "Wop."

Those who are interested in reading the stories without having to buy the books can look here . Although I would really only reccomend the first three. "So Long" is a bit overly mushy and rather odd, and "Mostly Harmless" was a book he only wrote because he was contractually obligated to, and he reinforced that with the ending, whereupon (and don't say I didn't warn you)
    Spoiler
    all parallel Earths are wiped out at once, killing everyone involved and erasing all the events that occured through the whole story, as well as the creation of Earth itself.

I know some people don't like to write sequels, but jeese louise.

• Banned User

Hilarious.. Thats one way to make fun of the fact you had to make another book.....

Brilliant...

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986
    Hilarious.. Thats one way to make fun of the fact you had to make another book.....

Brilliant...
    The back of Mostly Harmless actually says "The __th book in the increasingly inaccurately titled Hitchhiker's Guide trilogy."

You can tell he was really getting upset about these sequels.

• Quality not quantity

Moonliner, what trailer did you watch? The one I saw had Zaphod with One head and Three arms!
    To clarify, my post could be written in a more concise and lucid literary style as:

"and there should be two, count them two, heads."

I'm sorry for any stress that my less than clear post might have caused.

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    There is a clip showing that the second head is undernieth the first one and pops up on occasion.. I guess it is a way to get around the second head problem they had with the TV series... Most of the film could be shot with one head...

The problem with the movie and the book, is that the story is a bit dated... Earth technology advanced farther than some of the fictional "outerspace technology" that was supposed to be more advanced and was at the time... Like the digital read out on the electronic book as discribed is less advanced than modern PDA's...

In order to get the movie to sell, some of the "tech" needed to be updated, I am certain...

But rest assured, if Douglas Addams was alive today, the film would not be made... Unless it was exactly as Addams pictured it...
    Here's an exerpt from the movie Q&A:

2. "When Hitchhiker's Guide was first being written, computer technology and more importantly PCs were very new and primitive and so the science fiction element of the story was very potent; it was a novel idea but something that simply couldn't be done. Nowadays we have all kinds of technologies and mobile devices: mobile phones, PDAs and other such gadgets. In this climate, how do you feel a modern Hitchhiker's Guide fits in, and do you feel the level of the 'fantastic' it once had will be subdued for a modern audience?"

GARTH: I think the Guide will always be a fantastic device for an audience because it's got such a unique personality and hilarious view of the universe. But you're right, technology has caught up with the original ideas but the technical side of the book isn't really that important. It's not about the buttons or the interface or how quickly it can stream audio. It's Douglas' take on life, and that will always fit in, even when they have invented the silliest and smallest of gadgets.
    NICK: The modern Hitchhikers Guide now pretty much exists, but it almost has left itself behind, because now it can have whatever voice you want to give it. What Douglas did, and Garth has pointed out, is how in the film The Guide is clearly a character with its own very distinct opinions and thus in a way in today's world, is almost more fantastic than it used to be but for very different reasons.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Club 33
    NICK: The modern Hitchhikers Guide now pretty much exists, but it almost has left itself behind, because now it can have whatever voice you want to give it. What Douglas did, and Garth has pointed out, is how in the film The Guide is clearly a character with its own very distinct opinions and thus in a way in today's world, is almost more fantastic than it used to be but for very different reasons.[/font]
    I would like to have a talk to Nick, so I can give him a boot to the head...

Thank you...
    Check out my other blog:

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries
    My childhood is flooding back. These books were such an important part of my life, growing up in Kansas. Can't wait to see the movie. Even if they screw it up, it is fun to relive the memories just a little. As a Kid, this was my Harry Potter.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

One of my favorite parts was one of Arthur's Earth friends - he had a dog that he said was "named after the American president."

It was called "Know Nothing Bozo".

Isn't it nice how these things stay fresh, even after many, many years?
    "Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill
    -
    "We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." - Edward R. Murrow
    -
    "It's far easier to fight for your principles than it is to live up to them." - Adelai Stephenson
    -
    Reason for the Season? Tilt of the planet's axis. Oh, you meant the holiday season? That's easy - Feast of Saturnalia. Disagree? That's nice.

I am super f**king excited. Alan Rickman voicing Marvin. Tim from the Office. Mos Def. Etc., etc., etc. Sure, it might suck.

But if it's good....man, I bet it will be really, really good.

Oh, I didn't realize there was a third preview out. It's terrific fun!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast