View Poll Results: Which film will take home Best animated Feature Film?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE

8 14.04%
  • TIM BURTON'S CORPSE BRIDE

21 36.84%
  • WALLACE & GROMIT IN THE CURSE OF THE WERE-RABBIT

28 49.12%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Love!

Re: Oscar Poll - Best Animated feature film

If W&G loses, I will eat my hat.

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    I too find it interesting that the academy has chosen to nominate only 3 films, and that none of them are computer animated. They had room to add Chicken Little, but didn't.
    According to branch rules of the Academy, there weren't enough qualified films to move the nominations from three to five. To add "Chicken Little" would have meant replacing one of the current nominees.

Also don't forget those guys from "Wallace & Grommit" have won numerous Oscars in the past for these same two characters (in the animated short category)... that might work against them. "Nightmare Before Xmas" was made before this category even existed. That might work in Tim Burton's favor. Just a thought.
    Last edited by DOOM BGI; 01-31-2006 at 11:11 AM.
    --Jonathan

• Huh?

Get your hat recipes out, then... I have a big feeling that it will wind up being Howl's.
    -Tim

• out & about

If I could vote over again Id vote for Moving Castle!
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

@WRDinc

• Again! Again! Again!

Wallace and Gromit
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

• out & about

Star Wars should win in this category too since a lot of it was computer animated!
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

@WRDinc

• Minion

Here is the thing... Wallace and Gromit keep pushing the boundaries to what Stop Motion Animation can do... Those flying sequences where pritty amazing...

Corpse Bride didn't have anything close to that kind of artistry... I found Howls Moving Castle, unfortunately isn't all that accessable a film, but a worthy contender...

I found it interesting that not one of the films nominated was CGI...
    Check out my other blog:

• Miranda Lambert and Me!

I had to go with Wallace and Gromit on this one. Man I love that movie!

BDK
    Listen to me on the radio!

us101country.com Fridays- 9p-12m ET and Saturdays- 7p-10p ET

981thelegend.com Monday-Friday - 12m-6a ET

rock105.net Sundays - 10p-12m ET

You can also visit my DJ blog HERE!
    Also, I have a Myspace- CLICK HERE

• oh bugger

Let's see, technically Howl's was distributed in the U.S. by Disney, so thats one thing, but let me make clear what I said about no traditional animation was nominated. In my mind, as well as the majority of the population anime is in a seperate category of animation just as 3-d and stop motion is. You'll even find it in a different section of any video store from Blockbuster to Best Buy. On that basis, and my personal opinion of what makes 'traditional animation' I do not consider any of the 3 Oscar nominated films for best animated feature to be 'traditional animation'

Agree or disagree with that all you want, but its an opinion so keep that in mind. Anime is wildly popular and films such as Howl's are incredibly important to the animation world, they push the envelope and demand a high standard for imagination and creativity in the animated world. However, its not my cup of tea and I personally prefer the more traditional forms of animation.

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    I too find it interesting that the academy has chosen to nominate only 3 films, and that none of them are computer animated. They had room to add Chicken Little, but didn't. Regardless of who wins, I'm happy. I just want to see more of the traditional art of animation being made.
    For Chicken Little not being nominated - maybe Pamela Anderson threatened a lawsuit for the mistreatment of chickens and branded Walt Disney as a Colonel Sanders?

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by jurgenb52
    Let's see, technically Howl's was distributed in the U.S. by Disney, so thats one thing, but let me make clear what I said about no traditional animation was nominated. In my mind, as well as the majority of the population anime is in a seperate category of animation just as 3-d and stop motion is. You'll even find it in a different section of any video store from Blockbuster to Best Buy. On that basis, and my personal opinion of what makes 'traditional animation' I do not consider any of the 3 Oscar nominated films for best animated feature to be 'traditional animation'
    Anime is in a different section because most animated movies are placed in the "Family" category. Much of anime is not family-friendly.

Anime is merely japanese for animation. Just as manga is just japanese for comic.

Anime encompasses both tradional animation and CGI these days. The reasons it is seperated are due to the language/cultural barrier (think of it as being the same reason they have foreign film sections) and style. There's also the reason for ease of finding the films -- imagine the confusion when they lump horror, comedy, and drama together. Anime fans would rather be able to go straight to an anime section rather than have to sort through all the Family, Horror, Sci-Fi, Drama, and Foreign Language films to be able to find what they want.

It's seperated for a lot of reasons. But the fact is, it's still traditional animation and/or cgi animation.

I'm sure if there were bigger demands in the US for French animation, you'd find a French animation section, as well.

In the end, 2 stop motion and 1 traditional animation movie was nominated.
    -Tim

• oh bugger

It's only traditional in the sense that it is hand-drawn cell based animation. It most likely utilizes a great deal of computer like a lot of modern anime does. While the translation of anime from Japanese into English might be animation it has taken on an entirely different meaning culturally.

Because of its style, tone and general subject matter (not speaking entirely of Howl's now) anime is not categorized alongside "traditional family animaton" most likely Corpse Bride despite its context will be placed into the family section of blockbuster because it is animated. I never saw Howl's but is it more or less of a family film than Corpse Bride? Anime is seperate because its a different genre of film, and has a different audience.

While its development might be similar to Beauty and the Beast it does not fit into the same animation category. Anime is a type, genre, style, whatever word you want to use, all its own.

• Disney Memory Maker

I voted for Howl's Moving Castle simply because it was distributed by Disney. The only one I actually saw was Wallace & Gromit.....and I thought it was horrible. Along with Valiant, it was one of the only movies I almost fell asleep in.

Even though CL wasn't nominated, it's Box Office total was much larger than all three of these films (in fact, you can combine the domestic total of all three of these films and CL still grossed more).
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Minion

Well, AskMike... We know that the Oscars do not always look at Box Office...

And to be honest with you the acadamy didn't like Chicken Little as much... I suspect it is because they have the same problem with this film as they did with The Emperor's New Groove, by the same director... Interesting characters, funny dialog and situations, yet a totally ineffectual plot that makes you wonder why you spent this much money after you see it...

Just goes to prove... Story does matter...

Well, it is neither here nor there... At least now Disney has someone at the head of the Animation Studio that has a record of creating block busters AND has a collection of bronze statuettes...
    Check out my other blog:

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by jurgenb52
    While its development might be similar to Beauty and the Beast it does not fit into the same animation category. Anime is a type, genre, style, whatever word you want to use, all its own.
    Anime has a style all of it's own, but you know what that style is based on? Disney. Anime has the big eyes and such because they were trying to recreate the style of Disney animation while adapting it to a more traditional Japanese style.

Really, there's no reason at all to separate the anime from american, french, russian, spanish, etc. animation. It's just American fans of Japanese animation that has forced it to become separated.

Take for example, Buzz Lightyear of Star Command. By all definition, that is anime. It might be made by Disney, but it's made purely by Japanese at the Japanese studios (minus the short Pixar-made opening). Anime is technically merely animation made by Japanese.

So, where does the line between "anime" and traditional animation go? You can't make a line.... traditional animation is traditional animation no matter what the language.
    -Tim

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast