Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Importance
    Shark Tale may have made some money, but nothing spectacular. It certainly loses out on the merchandizing factor as you note and Disney is all about the merchandizing.
    Well, Disney is part about Synergy... Which means using characters to buy your other products and services... "You make a movie, it goes to consumer products who put toys on the shelves of WalMart, the studio releases the video, the ride goes in the theme park...."

Shark Tale still has fruit snacks availble at grocery stores.... Katzenburg is a proponent of Eisner's "Singles and Doubles" philosophy... It is great to have a "flag pole" movie event... But increasing your studio production increases your cash flow if the movies are designed to do well enough to cover expenses and produce a smaller margin of profit... And occasionally you come up with a winner... Which in someways offers a more profitable model than Pixar, which produces one "Flag Pole" event every year...

Dreamworks has one "Flag Pole" event and a smaller "double" event... Not a bad move....
    Check out my other blog:

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS01

Here's an idea...rather than Disney spend the money to buy Pixar or even Dreamworks..why dont they take that money and invest it getting back the kind of talent they used to have in THIER OWN ANIMATION STUDIO ?? Why do they need to BUY a animation studio when they used to be the best in the business..its just a matter of Iger getting the company back to that point !!
    I agree, but they drained all their talent... It will take time to rebuild...
    Check out my other blog:

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by Reaver
    As much as I want another Fantasia (2005 is out of the picture ), an entirely CG Fantastia is just not right. Fantasia was about the animation, and the ART of animation. I want to see the work of pen to paper, brush to canvas, not finger to keyboard. Fantasia is an art piece, and while CGI has it's place in the art world, the day Disney ditches traditional animation for an entire CG piece is the day we might as well turn our backs, sell our stocks and mourn, for Disney will be officially dead...
    I wasn't saying an ENTIRE Fantasia in CGI.

I was thinking of one segment of Fantasia in CGI. In Fantasia 2000, every segment was created with a completely different form of art. The Flamingos, for instance, was done entirely in watercolors.

While an all-CGI Fantasia wouldn't be a good idea, CGI is certainly legitimized enough as art to deserve it's very own 100% CGI Fantasia piece. Then it can simply return to being just one tool of the greater process of animation.

And also, at myself for posting something here that meant to go in the Tokyo Disneyland forum. This is the kind of mistakes that only tabbed browsing can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Importance
    Yes, and they've done well. However, I'm really not sure how well those movies will age (too many pop culture references) and there isn't much else that has come out of that studio. Everyone can lucky, once. Pixar and Disney have been consistent performers. Dreamworks Animation, not so much.
    I agree with Importance. It is really important to point out that box office is not everything. Today, Finding Nemo and Monsters Inc. both outsell Shrek on DVD. While it is incredibly clever, in perhaps as little as ten years, the pop-culture references will have played out and half the humour will have been gone. That storytelling aspect that some people tend to forget is, in fact, a major factor in the appeal of movies. The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, were both favorably reviewed for their storytelling elements.

• Brown Derby Caricatures

Quote Originally Posted by Mr D
    Kikis Delivery Service had the last grace to have a well known actors english dubbing, I'm in a brainlock, I think he did The Little Toaster, his wife shot and killed him a few years ago.
    That would be Phil Hartman... and he's not the only well-known actor in Kiki's voice cast, which also includes Kirsten Dunst and Janeane Garofalo.
    "Oh, now there's a surprise! I could have a heart attack and die from not surprised!"
    -Iago, Aladdin

• Old Timer

I forgot Kirsten Dunst was there as well, thanks for refreshing my memory
    Micechat member # 98

TARDIS
    "Time And Relative Dimension In Space."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123