• Minion

Thumbs up My Bambi II Review (Spoilers!!!)

Animation
    The animation is very smooth and well done. The environments don't look as idealized as the original, and they have a strange "fuzzy glow" look to them. It works though.

The characters display the same personality behaviors as the originals, however, sometimes the animals display "un-natural" animal movements to provide comic relief. The colors are beautiful, and the backgrounds have a enough detail to achieve the feeling of being in a winter covered forest and not simply a cheap Disney sequel. Overall, I enjoyed the animation a lot more than the usual Disney sequel.

Story
    We all know that the story takes place during the period between Bambi's Mother's death, and his grown up self later in the spring. It is important to know that watching this film changes the WHOLE dynamic of the original. It makes some moments less grand, characters less stopic, and the moment where Bambi and his father run from the fire less emotionally stirring.

Bambi II also trades in the seriousness of the original for a decidedly lighter tone. There are a lot more jokes in this film than the original and they are a lot less subtle. Some even have a Warner Bros. feel to them. The overly cartoonish jokes are not numerous though. And while there are many, they are actually funny. A few caused me to laugh out loud even!

I think the film tackles a lot of real life problems. Bambi II starts right after Bambi's mom is shot. When we first see Bambi's father, he asks Owl to find him another Doe to take care of Bambi. I think this parallels human relationships and how eager some fathers are in dumping their children off to their mothers. Overtime, Bambi's father warms up to his son, and as is expected, that begin to have a lot of fun. Overall, there are no real surprises or unexpected plot points, but it serves it's purpose. It's basically what you imagined Bambi went through during his transition period, realized with animation.

Character Development
    Honestly, there's not much of it. We see Thumper deal with his little sisters, but that's more for comic relief than giving insight on his transition period. Since half of the film takes place in Winter, Flower is hibernating. We are introduced to a new character named Rono or Ronu (Who we later realize is the stag that tries to steal Feline away from Bambi as an adult). Of course, this changes the dynamic of the original again because we see Ronu as a whinny bully, instead of a real menace. He seems like less of a threat when the original is watched again.

Bambi spends the majority of the movie trying to prove himself to his father, who constantly reminds him that he is a Prince and he must act like one. Bambi's father in turn tries to be a little more understanding of his son. Basically, nothing new or innovative in terms of character development.

Conclusion
    Enjoyable. Definitely better than some of the other Disney sequels although it does nothing out of the ordinary. Art style is different, and the environments are less realistically stylized, but it works. It does change the dynamic of the original movie, which can be a good or a bad thing depending on your preference. The difference in the way you perceive the original characters is jarring when you see the prequel and then the original. I wouldn't buy it, but it's definitely worth a look!

• Huh?

Re: My Bambi II Review (Spoilers!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    There are a lot more jokes in this film than the original and they are a lot less subtle. Some even have a Warner Bros. feel to them.
    All I could think of when you said this was an argument between Bambi, Thumper, and the Hunter on whether it was deer season or rabbit season...

lol... I REALLY hope that's not what you meant.
    -Tim

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum
    All I could think of when you said this was an argument between Bambi, Thumper, and the Hunter on whether it was deer season or rabbit season...

lol... I REALLY hope that's not what you meant.
    No, not at all... UGH that would suck!

• Minion

I wasn't even aware that this unnecessary sequel was in production until reading about it a few days ago on MC. I happened to catch the trailer on TV yesterday and was surprised at how good it looked.

Obviously some care went into making it. Doubt if I'll ever see it though not being around small children.

• is satisfactual.

The environments don't look as idealized as the original, and they have a strange "fuzzy glow" look to them.
    You raise a good point. Why is it that all recent Disney animated films have that fuzzy night-bright look to them? The characters are perfectly fine, rendered more clearly than ever, but the backgrounds look--and I don't wish to sound cynical here--as if someone introduced Thomas Kinkade to the magical world of Photoshop's brush and smooth tools and let him try every possible light and blur effect possible within a landscape.

I mean, here we have the original:

And here Bambi II.

Is this good? Bad? Laziness or progress? Personally I think it takes away from the sense of depth, in the manner of putting a crisply outlined picture of a deer in a blurry Van Gogh. There's a lot of... Contrast, I suppose.
    Last edited by pussnboots; 02-03-2006 at 02:26 PM.

• Don't hate the game...

I LOVED IT!!! Soulq is right when saying it makes some things in the original less dramatic but I was suprised at how well it came out, and as far as the jokes and "cartoon" like humor, i was in tears... but Im easily entertained

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I think the animation looks as good as Lion King 1 1/2's animation.......That's a compliment by the way .

• Still lost in Neverland

What about the voices? I know that Patrick Stewart is Bambi's father and I like that, but what about the young Bambi and Thumper? Do they at least have some kind of resemblence to the original? Or are they the typical nasel kiddy sound that are in most animated stuff these days.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Earth Intruder

I am anxiously awaiting Bambi III: Deer In The Headlights ....
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy
    What about the voices? I know that Patrick Stewart is Bambi's father and I like that, but what about the young Bambi and Thumper? Do they at least have some kind of resemblence to the original? Or are they the typical nasel kiddy sound that are in most animated stuff these days.
    The new Bambi voice doesn't sound as close to the original as the new thumper does, but it works. Bambi's voice is less whinny and nasal than the original. Thumper is suprisingly close to the original though. Flower is pretty close as well.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Well.... I saw a clip of how they did it, and belive me traditional animation is dead.. before they painted each scene, now it's all done on computers... They did paint bambi 2... on the computer that is using software!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Clearing my Calendar

As an avid Bambi fan, I have to put my two cents in.

All in all, I thought it was really well done. I agree in that it tends to lessen the effects of Bambi's adventures as an adult, but it doesn't lessen the experience of this movie. In other words, I wouldn't recommend watching back to back (or even stopping Bambi at mother's death, watching Bambi II, then picking Bambi up again...whoa).

I love several of the concepts they utilized (i.e. Man's "tricks"). I also love that they faced this as a tribute to the original. It wasn't, "HEY! Let's continue the story!" after a round of too many drinks. It had a lot of allusions to the original and... it was touching.

Overall !

Now, did anyone notice the Fox and the Hound 2 preview? Ugh! I'll be skipping that one, thanks.
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• Gepetto 2

2 cents:

I was taken away by the color and background art...gorgeous...especially in the 2nd half. Aninmation was top notch and extremely smooth and well thought out...watch those legs on the deer, especially Bambi's dad...the Australian toon unit did them selves proud.

Voice over for bambi is the kid who was Nemo. Nice job again. Thumper as well. Patrick Stewart was stalwart and powerful.

Story nests in the original very nicely and has new things to say and says them well.

I'm only confused at the lame title using a number 2. Also this should have and could have been a theatrical.

After ALL the bad sequals this is a gem and a keeper.

What I especially liked (besides the art and animation) was the pacing and timing that didn't give in to the MTV crowd and matched the original step for step...there are some very beautiful and peaceful scenes.

Music is excellent.

My only distraction was I kept waiting for Bambi's nose to light up red. :-)

All in all...a treat that I'm very glad I bought.

Doug
    http://SpookyBook.com
    'Scary Dark Rides' Now in Hard & Soft Cover!
    The ONLY Dark Ride Book.

• On Autopilot

Wow! glad to hear that Disney put something decent together! on a scale of one to ten what would it be?