Future DTV sequels: Any you'd like to see made?

With the purchase of Pixar and the crowning of John Lasseter to Disney’s creative kingdom, there is a lot of speculation that DisneyToon will be on the chopping block, or at least significantly altered. No matter how Lasseter reshapes Disneytoon, we know he despises the disappointing stream of cheapquels that studio has produced over the last decade or so. I think it’s a safe bet to assume that we won’t be seeing sequels as often in the future- and when we do they'll be good.

DTV’s pitiful recent past and it’s potentially doomed future aside, are there any DTV sequel/prequels that you would like to see Disneytoon make?

I know we already have a Jungle Book 2, but I would like to see a third installment- if only to offset the second and set things straight with that franchise. Jungle Book was an instant classic. It was the last animated feature that Walt directly oversaw, and it was very personal to him. You know when Mowgli walks into the man village that a sequel had to be in the works. It was, but never materialized for a number of reasons, depending on who you talk to.

So 30+ years later Disney finally releases a sequel to this masterpiece. So historic was this event that it warranted a full theatrical release instead of DTV. And what did we get? A pile of elephant dung. Horrible writing, mediocre music, shameless rehash of themes from the original, and an utter lack of any of the elements that made the original a classic.

There were some bright spots: Jim Cummings flawless voicing of Kaa, brilliant animation. But the rotten parts spoiled the whole. I’d love to see a third JB made that corrects what the second one screwed up, including good writing, a decent voice actor for Baloo (John Goodman absolutely sucked), the return of King Louis…there are so many possibilities! A team of good writers under John Lasseter’s direction could produce a sequel worthy of the franchise name.

Any other sequel ideas out there?

• Minion

Re: Future DTV sequels: Any you'd like to see made?

No more crappy DTV sequels to the classics!

And please bury the negatives and digital masters of the ones they already have made in an underground film vault in Kansas... and lose the key.

• Diamond In The Rough

Like practically everyone, I'm no fan of the DTV sequels. But I'd like to see a "Basil The Great Mouse Detective" take on "Hound Of The Baskervilles."
    Though I don't know why...

"I'm gettin' kind of fond of you, kid.
    Not that I want to pick out curtains or anything."

• Huh?

Basil of Bakerstreet is one that I can see going into a franchise, much like Sherlock Holmes.

I'm just glad that they abandoned the whole "Daughter/son of Character X in a role reversal" plotline long ago... like with Little Mermaid 2, Lady and the Tramp 2, etc. If there's a son or daughter involved, give us something exciting, like "Illegitimate Man-eating Demon Child of Sleeping Beauty."
    -Tim

• Huh?

Hmmm... "Insomniac Beauty" might be an interesting Sleeping Beauty's daughter story...

Nah...
    -Tim

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Freaky Friday II ... Starring Eiser and one of the cast members. Let him be a (in his words) 'a overpaid carnie' for a while.