• I Hug My Tapirs

Toy Story 3 back on track?

It sounded like after the Disney-Pixar deal that Toy Story 3 was killed quickly, but now it looks like Pixar's taking it over:

From http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?id=34529
    Pixar Takes Over Toy Story 3

Now that Disney has completed its takeover of Pixar, the animation studio will take over development of the long-gestating Toy Story 3, the Bloomberg news service reported. While reporting the company's first-quarter earnings, Disney chief executive officer Robert Iger said that Disney would release about two Pixar films each year, an increase over Pixar's earlier goal of about one per year, and that Pixar will take over production of Toy Story 3, a sequel that Disney's in-house animators had been working on.

Disney also said that it expects to release Pixar's animated Ratatouille in the summer of 2007. The film is about a rat who lives in a fancy Parisian restaurant run by a famous but eccentric chef.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Re: Toy Story 3 back on track?

Actually checking Bloomberg.com.. there is no mention of the article. Only on Scifi.com does it mention this.

I really don't think that they will go ahead with Toy Story III. Jobs and Lasseter don't really care for sequels unless tt has a great story line. From what I have read concerning the story for Toy Story III, they hated it.

Checking over at Pixar.com and reading up on whats new there, there is nothing listed for Toy Story III. I think that Bloomberg got the story before Lasseter closed down Circle 7 and SciFi ran with it.

•   
    • Minion

Yes, that is correct... According to the deal, Toy Story 3 is to be taken over by Pixar... Lasseter and the rest of the folk at Pixar believe that it would be best exicuted from start to finish if the production was kept with it's originators... Who could argue with that?

I think that there would be too much pressure internally, particularly from Consumer Products, not to complete a Toy Story 3 project...
    Check out my other blog:

• I Hug My Tapirs

Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie
    Actually checking Bloomberg.com.. there is no mention of the article. Only on Scifi.com does it mention this.

I really don't think that they will go ahead with Toy Story III. Jobs and Lasseter don't really care for sequels unless tt has a great story line. From what I have read concerning the story for Toy Story III, they hated it.

Checking over at Pixar.com and reading up on whats new there, there is nothing listed for Toy Story III. I think that Bloomberg got the story before Lasseter closed down Circle 7 and SciFi ran with it.
    It took me awhile to find the reference, too, but Animated News had the link (scroll down to the "Pixar" section). I wondered if it was outdated news, too, but it seems odd that an article posted today would not be aware of something that happened awhile ago like that.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

• Directly directed

What's wrong with just letting sequels die and coming up with new and orginal ideas?

• The one, the only...

Quote Originally Posted by Alice's Wonderland
    What's wrong with just letting sequels die and coming up with new and orginal ideas?
    ^^ I like what Alice said. I think that studios have dollar signs in their eyes when they hear sequels. They usual draw more customers because people have been impressed with the original film. But before The Empire Strikes Back, most movie goers knew that sequels were always a poorer quality film made with less money than the original.

Now, most movie goers have forgotten that. Most sequels, and particularly Disney one's, have been really BAD! If I see a II or III or 1 1/2 on something, I know that it is throwing my money away. If everyone came to their senses and boycotted sequels, then there would not be such a push from movie producers.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

C'mon aren't you guys/gals all rushing out to buy Bambi II (on Disney DVD TODAY!)?

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Alice's Wonderland
    I can think of three reasons...

1. You can't have nifty box set packaging and selling the item for $50 if you dont have a Trilogy...

2. Sophocles always wrote trilogies (Oedipus, Oedipus at Colonus, Antigone) - granted they all ended tragicly...

3. We would never have Back to the Future 3, Return of the Jedi, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King...
    Check out my other blog:

• Roar!

don't forget the wonderful Jurassic Park 3

• Married and happy again!!

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    C'mon aren't you guys/gals all rushing out to buy Bambi II (on Disney DVD TODAY!)?
    Sure just the second it hits the discount bin. It will make for cheap targets for target practice. lol.....
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!

• back in Austin

Interesting. DisneyWar (by James B. Stewart) made it sound like Lasseter wanted to do Toy Story 3 and that it was Eisner who insisted on Cars instead.

Regarding the aftermath of Toy Story 2's success (from pages 319 and 320 of DisneyWar):
    Now Lasseter was eager to embark on what would be the crowning achievement of a trilogy: Toy Story 3. Lasseter had the story already blocked out. The creative team from Toy Story 2 was ready to go.
    "I want Cars," Eisner insisted at meeting after meeting called to discuss the issue.
    I've been hoping and assuming that we would finally get the conclusion that Lasseter wanted.

hm i heard that toy story 3 was still up to be made, however pixar did disaprove the idea so they would most likely not take over. the film is probably going to be a non pixar film with disneys attempt just like it did with chicken little and valiant..im worried
    Disney freak for life!
    and
    Future Disney Animator!

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

Quote Originally Posted by matterhornmaniac
    don't forget the wonderful Jurassic Park 3
    or how about Jaws 3D